Using Lead tape

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Patrick, Dec 5, 2002.

1. Patrick

Patrick Regular Member

Property Manager
    I chance by a shop selling "Gamma" lead tape for rackets.
    Out of curiously and adventure, I bought a pack, thinking to balance some of head light rackets.

Any one tried one of the these on your rackets yet?
    Where do you stick the tape.

2. tfc

tfc Regular Member

too dangerous

If the lead tape breaks off during play, it could injure some body at
    200 mph.

3. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    Most ppl use them for tennis, if you want a heavier head, get another racquet. :D or else you better make sure that lead tape stays on. Over time, it will strip off the paint of your racquet too.

4. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
  5. ryeung

ryeung Regular Member

I use 2 pieces of lead tape (ahout 2 inches long) at around the 10 and 2 o'clock spots. Beford I restrung the racket, I pulled the grommets off and put the tape on the frame. Put the grommets back on and then string. No way the tape is coming off.

6. Alexch

Alexch Regular Member

I have used lead tape for one of my head light racket. It improved my smashing. The down side is defence become weak.

So now wat i do is improve my arm and wrist strength so that both offence and defence are balanced.

i can feel the improvement now.:)

7. Neosakai

Neosakai Regular Member

Unemployed =(
    But how do those lead tape work? Is there holes in the tape to fit the grommet so the strings can go through? :S

I notice different racquets have different grommet pattern, how does the tape fit in?

8. ryeung

ryeung Regular Member

After installing the tape, just use an exacto knife to cut around the grommet holes then reinstall the grommets.

9. Neosakai

Neosakai Regular Member

Unemployed =(
    Oh.... So you have to take out the grommets... That sounds like alot of work, maybe I won't try it :rolleyes:

10. Alexch

Alexch Regular Member

what i do is just paste the lead tape on the frame, of course the tape covered the grommets, then use masking tape to secure the lead tape so that it will not fall off. When i want to change string, i will remove the masking tape and lead tape. I NOTICED that there are some paint peeling off, which i think ok to me. I believe that my racket will break before all the paint is peel off. so i will ensure my next racket will be head heavy one. Actually the lead tape can be recycle, so i dun have to buy new lead tape. Recently just bought Yang Yang sensation 400, they claimed to be Armotec 700 clone. It is a head heavy racket, the smashing power is good and the clearance is not bad. I think i will stick to this model instead of trying Nano series. But the shop keeper can only give me Ashaway string xt-22. The repulsive is not bad but the string tend to sway after every hit. VERY ANNOYING to adjust the string after every hit.

No choice, already bought the racket, have to fully utilise it until it break

11. ryeung

ryeung Regular Member

What I did initially was just wrap tape on the frame to determine how much to put on. Once I got the feel that I liked, then it was just a matter of waiting for the next time I strung the racket to do this. After cutting the strings, it only took about 15 min to put the tape on and cut out the grommet holes.

12. Noob848

Noob848 Regular Member

well if your trying to improve racquet head speed why not tape this lead tape of the top of the raquet then masking tape it to the inside

13. blindfury

blindfury Regular Member

this thread is back from the dead... muahahha

lead tape wrapped around on the shaft, any comments?

14. Optiblue

Optiblue Regular Member

I just show up
    How dare you revive! But yeah, why bother on the shaft. I just stick my leadtape at 10 and 2 o'clock and works great for even balance racquets. I've actually clashed a few times on the lead tape and it protected the frame like extra armor. It will never fly off as people have described since it's an absolute PITA to remove with the finger nails and I can't imagine it flinging off. In a nutshell, great for people who love head heavy racquets and want to convert their other racquets. I will agree that defense goes down as compared to my stock head heavy racquets, but power can increase to around the same.

15. yurimaster2010

yurimaster2010 Regular Member

Consultant
    bro,
    can kindly post your racket pic to see how you apply this lead tape on baddy?