Recommended String and Tension for Me

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by jut703, Feb 2, 2010.

1. jut703

jut703 Regular Member

Hey guys, I think that it's finally time for a restring for me. The last time I had a restring was about 10 months ago, I had a BG95 strung at 25 lbs on my AT900T.

Recently I feel like I'm losing control of my net play, as if it felt really hard to make it go just a little over the net, hence giving instant kills for my opponents. However, the supposed plus side of strings loosening (lowering tension) of adding extra power hasn't been helping me much. One, my smashes haven't been any stronger, and actually I've been having a much harder time smashing recently. Also, my clears are about as strong, except that now they feel a little numb. More numb however are my lifts which go out more often than land on the baseline. I think this is the 'less control' part of low tension. But again, where's the 'more power' part?

Also, I'm quite unsure which strings to buy. Right now the BG95 is a little expensive for me as I have a lot of other stuff to spend on. I was contemplating between a BG66 and a BG65. AFAIK, the BG66 is a better string but wears out easily. The BG65 on the other hand is more durable but I don't know how it fares. My game style is usually either clears or net play, and though I often try to smash, I have yet to develop a deadly one.

Lastly, what tension would you guys recommend that I use? Should I stick to 25 lbs. so as to allow it to drop to 23 in a week or so? Or should I string at 26 lbs to try 24 lbs. tension?

Thanks in advance. :D

2. chewablemorphin

chewablemorphin Regular Member

Lifeguard, and a little bit of autobody
    I'm guessing it's probably not the strings. Try adding a layer or two of grip before you touch the strings.

3. druss

druss Regular Member

I'm sorry but this is the second time I've seen you recommend extra thickness for more power. I find this to be the opposite of what I've noticed.

Technique is more important than pure strength (IMO) for good power and thick grips for me inhibit the proper technique.

I'd personally suggest trying the BG80 for more repulsion at a slightly lower tension than the NBG 95 was originally strung at.

4. chewablemorphin

Thinner grips? unless you are using a grip much too large for your hands... Everyone has a personal preference, for me I need thick grip for more power. I've experimented with this for years, as well as others have taken my advice and saw a noticeable increase in power.

This isn't about technique or strength, he has noticed a decrease of performance based on equipement. It may be that he altered his technique a little, however he is mostly likely going through a funk.

Agreed.

5. druss

druss Regular Member

In this case I do believe that it's probably due to the properties of the string changing. NBG90 is a thick string at 0.70 and probably has stretched and lost tension (as well as it's other properties).

As for the grip thickness, I find I can't pronate my wrist properly with a thick grip. Having played JR tennis competitively for years before going to university I know thick grips pretty well. I actually started playing badminton with thick grips because that was more comfortable for me but as I got better I noticed it hampered my wrist and fingers from making the correct motions.

To be honest, I've known and played with some of the best players in my province (top 20 players) and none of them use thick grips. I actually know a guy that's a couple inches taller than me and quite large (over 200 lbs) who won the national college doubles championships twice and he uses a smaller grip than me.

6. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Isn't NBG95 0.69mm ??

7. druss

druss Regular Member

Sorry, yes you're right... for some reason I keep thinking it's .70 as I think of it as a more powerful BG65.

Still on the thicker side though.

8. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

no need to apologize, I wasn't sure myself !
    I recomend BG80 with 24lbs can't go wrong with it, might have to re adjust that's when I get my BG66 string though

9. chewablemorphin

I regularily attended the alberta series and was ranked 16th in the mens open category last year(haven't had the opportunity to play them this year...). I know many high level players who use all kind of grips, and it comes down to a matter of preference. I have dozens of rackets with all sorts of grips from thin to thick, to towel ect. In terms of raw power thicker grips are hands down the best option. Especially for backhands, which I find thick grips give me more control on the backhand side as well.

10. jut703

jut703 Regular Member

From what I've read the BG80 breaks pretty easily. Right now I really don't want the hassle of replacing strings too often. Is the durable BG65 much more inferior than the BG80?

Also, if I use the BG65, what tension should I have it strung if I had my NBG95 strung at 25 lbs.?

11. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    bg66 still the best for price and performance. ;)

12. mindfields

mindfields Regular Member

I'm another that disagree's here.
    There's a sweet point for a grip so it depends how "Thick" your grip is.
    If it's "Tennis" grip size then it's to large.

To thin a grip & the racquet won't sit in your hand well as your fingers overlap to much.

If it's to thick you lose "fingergrip" power & mobility to manouvere the racquet for deceptive shots & flicks.

There's a lot of players with power who can get that little bit more by adding fingergripping. Net kills & snap shots also get better as well.

13. chewablemorphin

I think you guys are misinterpreting what I'm saying... I'm not telling him to add 34 layers of grip to make is a thick as a large tree. I told him to try adding a layer or two of grip.

Now to say that your gripping thickness is the sweetspot because it works for you is just foolish. Every player is different, I personally need a large grip otherwise the racket will slip in my hand.

14. mindfields

mindfields Regular Member

I didn't say *MY* grip thickness was "THE" sweetspot. I'm saying that everyone has *their own* sweetspot.

Your giving that impression that Large grips are better.
    In fact a grip that's comfortable & still allow a decent finger snap will generate the most power if you have the right technique.

15. chewablemorphin

I said to try adding a layer of grip or two, based from my own experience, and those I have coached it has proven to be help. I never once stated that it was the solution... I'm just pointing out what I would do before considering re-stringing. I don't understand how fingersnap is relevant to the topic... A layer of grip or two isn't going to remove your ability to use your fingers.

16. jut703

jut703 Regular Member

I'm perfectly fine with my grip, I've experimented lots of different grips and my current set-up is fine with me. I use 1 layer of Yonex towel grip over my G3 grip. I have fairly small hands as I'm Asian. Though my grip is due for replacement (I've been sweating a lot and it's been over a month since I last replaced it), but I also think I need my strings to be replaced as well.

It's been almost a year and I feel as if my racket behaves differently from how it was when newly strung that's why I hypothesize that my strings need replacement.

How much are BG80s compared to BG66/BG65 (which are closely priced)? It seems to be getting a lot of positive feedback. How bout its durability? Would it last me at least 3-6 months? :)

17. kish-mah-ash

kish-mah-ash Regular Member

for yonex strings, i've used BG65, BG66 and BG68ti. but overeall,i prefer using BG65, for mostly on economic reason + it's durable. i've strung from 23 lbs up to 28 lbs and it plays great.
    a lot of pros also use BG65 so don't avoid using BG65.

18. burr_ger

burr_ger Regular Member

I think a thin grip is impossible to play with. By this i mean just having say just an overgrip. i notice a huge amount of vibrations. Adding grips reduces the vibrations and i found shots feel more solid. I personally only have one replacement grip on, i think its trial an error to see what grip size you feel most comfortable with.

With regards to restringing im in the same position. I usually get BG80 strung at 28lbs and it is fantastic. Ive recently tried BG68ti on same racket again strung at 28lbs but it just didnt sound as nice and couldnt feel the shuttle as well.

A string i have ordered is BG66 as i have heard plenty of people say great things about it. Problem is that it doesnt last very long due to the thin string. So my question is would 24lbs be a better bet to increase durability?

Any one using BG66 recommend a tension?

19. Munch

Munch Regular Member

If you have it strung at 28lbs already I would say keep it at 28 if you really want to keep the performance. BG66 @ 26lbs has lasted me 12 hours of straight badminton and I would say it would probably last 8 at 28lbs.
    26lbs feels like hitting a board for me for the first 2-3 hours then starts to soften up a bit. It'll hold the same feeling for a very long time till the last 1 hour when it starts to feel like BG65 at 22-23lbs. At that point it was at the brink of breaking which broke when i mishit it.
    Really good feeling however. Would trade my stash of BG85s for BG66 any day.

20. dyrtla

dyrtla Regular Member

i agree with druss. thicker grip DOES NOT increase power in my case as well. Badminton requires both arm and wrist. Maybe thicker grip will help with the arm, but it will definitely restrict the movement on the wrist. A strong smash needs both wrist and the arm, so thick grips will not help IMO. But im not saying thin grip will help as it will be hard to hold on to.