Step up from RSL Diamond X1?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by soda13, Feb 2, 2010.

1. soda13

soda13 Regular Member

student
    hey guys, could anyone help me choose a racket? I've been using the X1 my dad passed on to me for a while now and i feel that it's sort of losing its stiffness. not that it matters much, but i sometimes feel the need for an upgrade :p
    i used to be a singles guy but i'm concentrating on doubles play nowadays 'coz of an achilles tendon problem.
    i like the feel of the X1 an tend to stay away from head-heavy rackets.
    i'm more of the net player and i like to fake and drop a lot if kills aren't possible.
    but when i happen to be at the back, i smash pretty decently. nothing special, but i do like to whack it good.
    dunno if this helps but i tend to jump a lot too(probably what caused my tendon problem).

could anyone recommend a decent Yonex (i'd like to explore Yonex 'coz almost everyone i know uses RSL :p) racket that more or less suits my style? and it's not much of a deal breaker, but it'll help if the racket looks nice and/or has a nice color combination, since i got used to the sleek X1. :p

much appreciated guys.

2. raceto21

raceto21 Regular Member

arc 10 and nanospeed9900 are good choices

i find rsl rackets great. i own a couple and still use them from time to time.
    however i find the yonex higher end rackets having a better build quality to them compared to my rsl x2blue and x3 silver.
    if you have the resources then you cant go wrong with the arc10 or the headlight nanospeed 9900. i own the former while i occassionally borrow the latter from my wife. find the right tension/string which suits you and practice your routines.
    remember though that its not the racket but the amount of practice time and your dedication to improve your skills which will lead you to enjoy the game more.
    consider upgrading to the rsl gold or silver and spending the rest of your money to getting good coaching lessons. check out the latest yonex racket releases- if i am not mistaken the arc 5 , arc8dx , arc 008, nanospeed 850.
    goodluck.

3. soda13

soda13 Regular Member

student
    wow, thank you for the kind reply :D
    i was beginning to lose hope that anyone would notice this thread :p
    i have been considering the Arc10 for a while now (more so than the NS9900, 'coz the head light design might be too much of a transition for me), and have been saving up for it.
    could you share some of your views on the strengths of both rackets..?
    and I'm also considering your recommendation to spend some of it on a trainer. i actually don't mind if i don't use the higher end models if i can't wield them to their full potential :p
    i'll just have to see since the only times i get to play i'm with friends.
    thanks!!

4. raceto21

raceto21 Regular Member

arc 10 and nanospeed9900 are good choices

im not an expert, so as everything else in this site its ok to be skeptical, but this is my experience.
    just been playing 1.5 yrs. first racket i bought and used was the arc 10- if you make a search a lot of people will advise against buying an expensive racket while i have heard some people say its ok to start with the best and you can grow with your racket. i think i have to agree with the latter.
    i dont think its about the racket but rather its your potential as a player to master whatever instrument you have been given- or better yet- chosen.:D
    looking back i should have started with a lower tension (first tension was 26 lbs) . i should have gotten a coach to teach me the right strokes since it would have saved me time learning how to hit and generate power- i had to do trial and error/get tips from players who i respect and throw out useless garbage other players tell me/watch this taiwanese instruction video which i dont have a clue what they are saying/ and yes... you tube). i think i have matured with my racket since now i can stand my ground (not necessarily win) against so called "class c" players- an achievement for me if you could have seen me play 1.5 yrs ago.
    i hope my experience can help you even in a small way.
    the arc 10 and nano 9900 are both excellent rackets. for me, the smash power potential is about the same but i feel if my technique is spot on (which i don't) i can smash more powerfully with the 9900. the arcz slash which i also have, seems to generate the most power but it seems heavier to use in the long run and the head is smaller, so for me, its a less forgiving racket.
    the 9900 is easier to manuever which is an advantage when you are in the front or when in a defensive situation.
    perhaps i grew as a player with my arc10 so i prefer it over the 9900. i believe its the feel of the even balance of the arc10 which i find more suitable. arc 10 feels more solid though than the ns9900 though the 9900 feels it has more "technology behind it" making it solid in its own way.
    remember there are other brands too besides rsl and yonex.
    last point- whether it be the yonex arc10 / arc z / ns9900/ li ning n50 or n33 etc etc it will be the quality of time you do your routine(practice) and playing with( or even better - playing against) better players than you that YOU will be more proficient with your instrument of choice.
    cum grano salis.:)

5. soda13

soda13 Regular Member

student
    thank you again for the kind reply
    and wow, i'm bowing @ u 4 having experienced all three rackets :D
    it's nice to hear an honest opinion from someone i guess i can relate to 'coz i also started with a non beginner racket @ 26lbs string tension.
    i dunno how long i've been playing 'coz i've been at it on and off, but wow, being able to stand your ground against C-class players by self training, it gives me hope.
    i will definitely keep your words in mind and. just recently i played doubles with a friend who's way out of my league against 2 other better players (~than me. may partner owned them :p). i somehow managed to survive without dragging my partner down too much and ended with 2-2 all in all. there i saw the errors in my game (which i definitely got punished for with a handful of kills from bad returns and bad serves).
    also thanks for your detailed output on your experience with the rackets.