Help needed on what racquet to use for a returning player

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Demmnz, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Demmnz

Demmnz New Member

Hi people.
    I used to play Badminton at a high level long ago when I was in school and a few years after but gave it all away when I moved cities in the mid 1990's.I have Original Carbonex 8,15,20 series racquets and I have always really liked them.
    I bought them 20 yrs ago when I was really young and I am back into Badminton now but I am looking for a modern equivalent to my old racquets.
    I have looked at Nanospeed and Armortech etc, but technology has changed a lot and I don't know what would suit me now.
    I am faster and stronger than I used to be and play sport 3 times a week (excluding Badminton), throw javelin and bench 150 kilo's and run (inc shuttle sprints ) a lot and I am 6'2",but quick on my feet.
    So fitness is not an issue for me or strength etc as I have a lot more than most people.
    I like the look of the new racquets they make now but I am unsure of what type would match me physically.
    It is always hard matching equipment to suit ones-self I think.
    So if anyone has ideas to assist me choosing new gear , it would be greatly appreciated.

2. druss

druss Regular Member

What type of play style? Singles or doubles?

3. Demmnz

Demmnz New Member

I play both singles and doubles, leaning a bit more to singles 60/40 I suppose.
    because I have very high arm/shoulder/wrist strength , I have been thinking a heavier racquet might be better.
    There are just so many different racquets and strings available now...... it is difficult to make choices.
    20 years ago when I was a kid, it was all Carbonex and not that many models around really.

4. gapperonduty

gapperonduty Regular Member

i am eagerly waiting for the OP to be helped! :) I am also in the same boat!

However i took the leap and get my hands on the A900P strung with bg65/23*25 (as sold from a person on this forum) and after playing for at least 6 sessions now (mainly doubles) i still cannot get used to it. Not sure if it's the racket, or the string or the tension (i used to play Carbonex 20 and 21 SP with higher tension and un-remembered string brand/type). I will get a change of string and increase tension SLIGHTLY to see if i get back the feel i am used to, or at least remember being used to!

other than that, i am eagerly waiting for advices for the OP to apply to my own! sorry to steal your thundering thread OP!

5. druss

druss Regular Member

The AT900P is an attackers racket which is pretty head heavy biased. Also, depending on how long ago the BG65 was strung and how it could have lost quite a bit of tension. I find the thicker strings really need to be pre-stretched or they lose tension quickly.

For a general all round racket my favorite is the ArcSaber 10.

6. gapperonduty

gapperonduty Regular Member

Yea...that's the first thing i will do this weekend...restringing my racket...

and i don't think the direct blind-folded jump from carbonex 21 to at900p was a smart move...

7. druss

druss Regular Member

If you're just getting back in then I'd suggest a good all round racket like the arcsaber 10. Stiff (but not extra stiff like the NS 9000 or 9900) and on the heavy side of even balance.

From there you can choose whether you think you need a head heavy racket (like the AT900P) for more power or a stiffer head light racket (like the NS9900) for better control and speed.

8. Demmnz

Demmnz New Member

HI Druss,
    Thayers Quest fan huh ? :)
    I looked at a ArcSabre 10.
    Not bad, but the heavier Armour Tech 900 series looks good.
    I like heavier heads because I have good wrists.
    The NanoSpeed? 9900 , looks nice as well, so I may as well get both.
    I just got a new MusclePower 88 SP for $50 in a shop today because I am going to go play tomorrow and needed anything cheap.Not sure how good it is , but it looks ok.Just arrived in NZ the otherday and needed a racquet.

9. Jasonvan

Jasonvan Regular Member

MP88 is an excellent racket, I think the ARC Saber series basically replaced the MP series... But MP88, 99 and 100's are very very good rackets.