how to improve consistency

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by gamepurpose, Feb 3, 2010.

1. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    like the title ask.
    how do I improve my consistency.
    Especially, when I only able play once a week, and it's about 3 hrs long?

I've been thinking i might have to sacrifices couple of the days, that's mean like weeks, just to focus on like training session.
    100 pushes, 100 smashes, etc....
    however, I'm alone no friend to help that. =(
    is there anyway i can improve of my consistency?

2. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    If you could get a coach would be handy, he could go through drills with smashes, drops etc or even just a mate who can do same things

Other than that, get a wall and practice on this.

Also think on the mental side, train in you head hitting smashes, drops etc perfectly for 5 - 10 mins 2/3 times a day. It takes a bit of work but doing this for a month will help your game

3. gamepurpose

unemployeed
    i think u're forgetting the point where i said i ONLY ABLE to play once a week.
    To be exact, only able to play 3 to 4 hours a week.
    I do have friends but however, they only want to play games, not like stand there feed the birds for me to practice.

4. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    There must be a base line. Coaching is easier to check on the consistency of course because the drills are pretty static or routine. Of course it can get harder once you reached a certain level.

Playing socially is tough to get consistency. Practice and playing more regularly is the only faster way. ;)

5. gingerphil79

Sports massage therapist
    Thats the problem. You can ONLY play ONCE a week. How can u expect to improve ur consistency when u play once a week??

Plus in your 1st post, you said you might b able to play more often to do training. This would help you big time but to really get the most out of it, coaching would help you here

6. Mikael

Mikael Regular Member

Business
    Hi, what do you mean by "consistency"... ???

Footwork is always a good idea, you can even do it in your garden or so if the space is there... U can upload a video of your footwork, if u are lucky, someone might give the time to comment on it - no promisses..., but give it a try!

7. druss

druss Regular Member

Consistancy only comes with practice. Playing games is fun but does not teach you much since you're afraid to do new things.

8. gamepurpose

unemployeed
    i'm not afraid of whatsoever.
    And sorry for the confusion, usually what i think up in my head i type it out.
    So which mean the actual in the first post mean this, or let's just say the actual of my schedule for badminton.

ONCE a week, 3 hours to 4 hours maximum.
    My friends only want to play games. None of them willing to feed bird or help me do drills, I do understand that without those I can't make my shot consistent.
    I was just HOPING anyone out there can able to actually make some kind of miracle idea to help me out
    thank you

9. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    It's good to focus on one type of shot you want to make perfect and attempt to practise it during non-serious games to perfect it. For example, I wanted a really good backhand drive from the baseline, so whenever I was playing back, and the reciever pushed to my backhand, I'd drive it back. Sure, I lost a lot of games because of the inconsistency and stuff, but eventually it's a lot better.

Another way is to just practise stuff while warming up. Try to practise a certain kind of shot while you're doing that.

Bottom line is, if you incorperate a shot into your game and practise it often, then it's essentially like practising drills in a game situation. You might take a while to get better because it's not as focused training, and you might lose a bunch of games, but you'll eventually learn the skill/ get more consistent, while also gaining the experience to use those skills in a game.

Key is to give your game purpose! :D

10. gingerphil79

Sports massage therapist
    If there is a skill you want to learn, games are perfect. I changed my defense to a full backhand defense only switching to forehand if its to my right. This was new for me and of course I made lot of errors. I practiced this with my coach doing drills which I know you cant do but I practiced it in games aswell. Once again at the start, I made a lot of errors but its been 3 - 4 weeks and its pretty good now.

But consistency is different than learning something new. Its being able to play shots, it may be a certain shot that you want to work on and have it work majority of the time. Or it could be just in general to limit mistakes in your game. There is no short cut unfortunately. It needs hard work, lot of time and practice, practice practice (this is where drills work well).

Good luck with your conquest

11. elvinteh

elvinteh Regular Member

factory
    So far, improve defense the most easy and fastest way i know is hitting with the wall.
    because playing with the wall can be very fast, and the direction of the shuttlecock come back to me is fast and no direction. This train me a fast reflex.

12. nprince

nprince Regular Member

Engineer
    There is a thing called percentage play.
    Until you are sure that you can hit side or back lines, you do not have to aim there. Instead you can try to aim at the inside tram lines which will be good enough. You can give some room for error.

Same goes with your drops as well. You do not have to make them very tight. Keep some percentage for human errors.

Also there are other things. Do not attempt to play a tight net reply when your opponent is waiting close to the net-Instead use clear. Use a lot of pushes, clears smashes and half smashes. they all are high percentage shots & will keep you in the rally longer. Once you are confident, you can attempt other risky shots.
    Prince

13. NoRice4U

NoRice4U Regular Member

Student
    You remind me of a friend that lies in the same situation like you, i mean like you should maybe reflect on what you done today like for instances: Mark down how many error you made in a match, force mistakes, mistakes etc then reflect on it.

That may sound easy but you would find training pointless and worthless if all you do is repeat the same drills but you dont know where your strengths and weakness are and most importantly you won't even know Why?

Like why did you make that mistake. If your an average player what i've said may help you unless your someone who can't even get the basic pinned down eg: serves, clear, drop, net, smash, lift and drive

14. silvestre351

silvestre351 Regular Member

Civil Eng. / Amateur stringer
    Hi ppl
    I think that by only playing games during trainig sessions will improve a little of all aspects of technique and stamina ... only a little of each, hence all together make improve the performance. On the other hand it does not allow to produce great players because each shot cannot be practiced by repetition and so you cannot do the right technique by instinct (as we call here and directely translated as "muscle memory").
    I have the same problem as I want deeply to improve a lot all aspects of the technique and I dont practice in an environment that allows it to happen.
    I started to watch a lot of instructional videos and pros matches and I want to enter in a time of practicing agains the wall. Mental practice maybe a good point as gingerphil79 sugested ... I ll try.
    But one thing I am sure: many hours on court making specific exercises and shot repetition are the best way.
    Consistency I thing is the most important matter about shooting. By making trick shots you can win rallies, by being deeply consistent you can win tournaments.

#14 silvestre351, Nov 24, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  15. OHMAHGAWDZ

OHMAHGAWDZ Regular Member

If you can't get any extra play in, then the only way to improve consistency is through either footwork or visualization. For visualization, picture yourself doing a drill, preferably a single shot (just smashes, just drops, etc.). Once you're able to hold that image in your mind, do it from a first-person perspective (in your visualization, you ARE the person doing the drill). In order to do this, you must have no distractions, be relaxed (I sometimes do it before I go to bed), and make the visualization as realistic as possible. By that, I mean picture every possible detail of the badminton court (color of the net/court/lines, smell of the gym, etc.). If after several minutes you feel your heart rate and/or breath rate increasing, you're on the right track. This may not happen the first time you try it, but you will get the hang of it eventually. For a more detailed visualization routine, try talking to a sports psychologist or an internet search. There's lots of information out there, and it can help you a lot. Hope this helps!

16. dlsk07

dlsk07 Regular Member

Student
    try playing against a wall, because in that way your partner (the wall) will always return your shot without fail and by doing this, it will force you to keep consistently working harder to return the shot

i suggest you don't do it inside your home,but somewhere with a high ceiling (i smashed up a light bulb once, haha), if you could, try doing it outdoors, because the wind can put the shuttle off balance, which makes the shots unpredictable, so when you play with your opponent who have unpredictable shots, then you will be prepared and used to it

17. Azianhero

Azianhero Regular Member

this question depends on how serious you take badminton. I believe that one day a week isn't gunna cut it off but what you CAN do is find a friend or anyone who is able to feed u shuttles (if u can afford or get a couple used shuttles) and experiment around and do drills that you want to improve on. Now everyone is different when it comes to anything. I agree with the people who posted earlier. Playing fun games won't get you anywhere but it also depends on what kind of shots you want to be consistent at and for the most part you wanna be consistent overall. If you can't afford shuttles then its best to do half court rallies or full court with one shuttle which is not effective but better than nothing. Also there are many factors you gotta consider when it comes to consistency. Technique, footwork, mentality, and fitness. The major 4 that defines badminton the sport we love. I hope this helps =)

18. Strychinine

Strychinine Regular Member

Well you can try to visualize your footwork and practice at home "imagining" a court. You can also work on your swings. I also like to keep bouncing the shuttle on my racket to practice control.

19. a06221

a06221 New Member

I know this post is very old, but Indonesian national team has a daily routine of wall hitting drill for 30 minutes to train finger power and focus.

Another method is change some of your playtime to training time by hiring a coach. Since you said you don't have much time, you can try compensating with $$$$.

I am curious about your current consistency now, can you let me know what method you tried in this 10+ years?