What will happen to Smash City?

Discussion in 'Smash City Badminton Club - CLOSED' started by Fan888, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Fan888

Fan888 Regular Member

I'll call it a rumor but everyone there is already talking about it.

The "rumor" is Smash City will shutdown at the end of February for a month of renovation. Then, it will reopen in April under new management. Staffs and management aren't giving any detail or assurance after this month.

Anyone knows anything that can share? If the above "rumor" is not true, I hope the owners would speak up and put the "rumor" to bed.

2. mazinkaiser

mazinkaiser Regular Member

Network Consulting Engineer
    Smash City facility will become BBC

its not a rumor, its a fact. Smash City will close at the end of March. BBC will take over the lease and will renovate the facility. It will surely install computerized queuing system so the players don't have to play badminton match and at the same time serve as a human queueing machine to remember whos next in line to play in the court.

3. canti

canti Regular Member

Student
    yeah man its true. I'm happy and sad at the same time. I'm sad that there will be no more smash city, but I'm happy that the place is being renovated. The courts and lighting were getting really bad there. I hope they add spring floors like bintang.

4. Fan888

Fan888 Regular Member

That is what I heard too except to close at the end of February. I call it a "rumor" since neither Smash City nor BBC have confirmed this. There were a thread on this since December, http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78788

Personally, I welcome this news since Smash City has fallen to disrepair and basic clean up. If it looks anything like BBC1, especially the floor, it would be a huge upgrade.

Having said that, I do wish the current/new owners to provide some assurance in regard to training, membership, existing passes, etc. While they are shutdown, people will look for other places to train/play and they might not return. I want BBC to succeed in this location because I live around here, but the competition will get tougher with new California Badminton Academy is only 7 miles away. Come on, do something and say something to assure your customers.

5. Smashdude2008

Smashdude2008 Regular Member

Engineer
    I heard Holvy signed up with Bintang? Ture? Rumors?

6. canti

canti Regular Member

Student
    yeah i heard that it was true that they hired him

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i have also heard the same.

it is good for both Holvy and Bintang. Bintang will have a even stronger team with Holvy, and Holvy will have less job uncertainty as a result.

8. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

Yeah, I heard he's gonna be coaching at Bintang Campbell.

9. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

That's good for Bintang. The Campbell gym should be getting more students with Holvy coaching there along with private lessons requests from open gym members.

10. Fan888

Fan888 Regular Member

Sounds like you guys are in the knows. Any insight into what will happen when everything is settled? Would BBC honor membership, existing 10-passes card, etc? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

11. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    Do you have troubles getting your membership refund from SmashCity?
    Also, as you know they're shutting down for the last few months, I'd think
    you should have enough time to use up your passes. There shouldn't be
    anything left for BBC to honor...

12. Smashdude2008

Engineer
    The paper in another thread says that Smash city will be moving to a new location. If it is true, why they let Holvy go ???
    I also heard this from other people and some said the new place might also be just for training?
    I am not sure what to listen to anymore :-(

Anymore information on this?

13. Fan888

Fan888 Regular Member

People work there do not know or willing to say or do anything. There were still selling those passes when I brought mine not too long ago. And I was injured and couldn't play.

14. Smashdude2008

Engineer
    It is official that today is the last day for SC. I felt a little sad that it closed down, maybe since I played there for a while.

Just wondering where all the people who used to play there will play for the next month or two?

Will you come back to BBC once it re-open in May?
    Anyone knows what the membership fees will be for the new BBC?
    Any promotions?

Please share.

15. canti

canti Regular Member

Student
    Smash city needed to be upgraded anyhow floors were dying as well as poor lighting. anyone who played at smash city will either come to bintang or BBC in fremont?

I cant wait to try BBC in may

16. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

From what I know, most Smash City elite members will go to GGBC to train with Raju Rai and Howard Bach. Some are going to transfer to Bintang Campbell once Holvy gets there.

The membership fees for BBC is I think $40 for anyone under 21 and $60 for anyone above 21.

17. Fan888

Fan888 Regular Member

I too am a little sad to see Smash City goes. That is and always be a cool name :D canti is right. That place desperately needs repair. Been to BBC once so I am sure it will be an upgrade. Do look forward to playing at the new BBC3. Will most likely come back but will depend on where my friends go, of course :D

18. illusionistpro

illusionistpro Regular Member

All gyms (and companies) will have places for improvement. Whether the gym owners want to pay that expense for their members or if they want to just maintain what they offer is their business decision.

Its all speculation where members will go. Yes there is bintang, ggbc, and the new cal bad academy that are going to be near by but BBC has been very successful in the Peninsula, expanded to south sf, and now the south bay. They also have a strong coaching staff that can certainly accommodate all levels.

Right now it looks like any one who plays at smash city will be the ones who win. They are getting an upgraded gym and a great management team. They may also get access to 2 other gyms!!! If everyone gives BBC3 a chance im sure it will be better than before.