User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Question Which factor is most important??

    For a racquet, there are so many factors to affect its performance:

    1. Whole weight (2U,3U,or 4U);

    2. Balance point (headlight, headheavy);

    3. Flexibility of the shaft (stiff, flex);

    4. Kick point of the shaft as some manufacturer concerned (I don't know it exactly);

    5. Shape of the frame (classic oval shape, isometric, Y shape) or the sweet point;

    6. Width of the frame;

    7. Grip size (G3, G4);

    8. String style (BG 65, 66, 70....);

    9. String tension.

    But I have heard so many opposite opinions on these factors.

    Now I'm just puzzled by those factors, Which ones are really important for the performance and how do they work??

    For the following performances:

    1. power: smash, clear, or drive.

    2. control: direction control, power control.

    3. maneuverability: when you need quick reflection in the game.

    3. comfort: make you play for long time without hurt on the arm or wrist. I really don't know how to describe this one, but I think it's really important. Because some headheavy racquet, maybe you can smash harder than usual, after a game and you find you can not even clear in the next one.

    4. analyze the technics and the racquets, which factor benefit the wrist player, which one for the arm styles??

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    498
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    add this factor:
    do you like it or not

    whats the question? its all personal preference

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    For a racquet there must be something good for or bad for,
    Which style racquet fit who is the question.
    Everyone just want to find a better racquet for his better performance.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I agree most of them is the personal preference, so I think we should make a racquet into so many factors.

    Then we can just talk about the factor and minimize the personal preference here.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    498
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    i think most would agree that

    Power -> head heavy, stiff and high tensions
    Control -> light headed (no pun intended), flex, lower tensions
    Manuverability -> light racquet

    i think ISO is a preference. I like ISO but power seems to be different on Ovals


    sorry Brooklyn i did not understand the question upon the first reading.

    i think its about time we made a faq on this..
    plus Brooklyn has concisely listed several factors for racquets.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I'm a full swing guy, used the Yonex Ti 8, now change to Carlton AS-Ti.

    I found that the isometric and heavy head make me feel better when clear, but a little bit slowly for return smash. But when smash, with the AS-Ti, I can swing faster, then hit harder than the Ti 8.

    Ti 8's shaft is more flexible than AS-Ti, So I feel more comfortable when play for a long time, but another reason is that you can't use the arm to generate enough power with AS-Ti, unless you put all you wrist on.

    I think the AS-Ti's oval head make me controling the direction much better than use Ti8.

  7. #7
    Administrator kwun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Santa Clara, California, United States
    Posts
    36,064
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Originally posted by TOmike

    i think its about time we made a faq on this..
    plus Brooklyn has concisely listed several factors for racquets.
    FAQ.... right. this is one of the most asked question. and most useful if answered. however, i just don't know how to answer it!

    whomever you ask, you will get conflicting answers. while each one of them seems to make sense but they all conflicts with each other.

    look at the 9 dimensions that broklyn listed and each one of them can be further expanded. and each one affects the play of the racket in some strange manner. what we have at the end is a very complicated relationship between specs and performance. i don't even know how to start!

    i have been working on a paper on tension vs. power. just that one single factor i already have 6 full pages on the paper, and that's not including diagram.

    i just don't know how to answer it.

    therefore you original answer really make sense, "do you like it or not" and personal preference. try it out on the court and see if you like it.

    even that is not too accurate as the string/grip also can change the character of the racket drastically.

    see the frustration mounting?

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Originally posted by TOmike
    i think most would agree that

    Power -> head heavy, stiff and high tensions
    Control -> light headed (no pun intended), flex, lower tensions
    Manuverability -> light racquet

    i think ISO is a preference. I like ISO but power seems to be different on Ovals


    sorry Brooklyn i did not understand the question upon the first reading.

    i think its about time we made a faq on this..
    plus Brooklyn has concisely listed several factors for racquets.
    For the power, you said that the high tension means more power, but I've heard that the pros use high tension just because they want control the power better, but high tension mean less power.

    It's same as the tennis racquet.

    And I got the same feel.

    Maybe in a range it's right. When I change 18 lb to 22lb, I found it's more powerful, but when I change 22lb to 26lb, I felt very difficult to hit the birdy back.(

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Originally posted by kwun
    FAQ.... right. this is one of the most asked question. and most useful if answered. however, i just don't know how to answer it!

    whomever you ask, you will get conflicting answers. while each one of them seems to make sense but they all conflicts with each other.

    look at the 9 dimensions that broklyn listed and each one of them can be further expanded. and each one affects the play of the racket in some strange manner. what we have at the end is a very complicated relationship between specs and performance. i don't even know how to start!

    i have been working on a paper on tension vs. power. just that one single factor i already have 6 full pages on the paper, and that's not including diagram.

    i just don't know how to answer it.

    therefore you original answer really make sense, "do you like it or not" and personal preference. try it out on the court and see if you like it.

    even that is not too accurate as the string/grip also can change the character of the racket drastically.

    see the frustration mounting?
    When can you post your paper here?? I really want to know how tension means to power.)

  10. #10
    Administrator kwun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Santa Clara, California, United States
    Posts
    36,064
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    still on going work. i say 75% ready. i know i know, i promised it a long time ago, but you know how these things go...

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    498
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    yeah kwun, but do u think the faqs are being read? cuz it seems old topics keep coming up.

    not neccessarily this one
    Last edited by TOmike; 12-06-2002 at 06:04 PM.

  12. #12
    Administrator kwun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Santa Clara, California, United States
    Posts
    36,064
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    sure. the view count is not too large, but still quite ok.

    one of the FAQ was even cross posted in another forum :

    http://www.playbadminton.com/ubbthre...b=5&o=0&fpart=

    i think there bound to be people who ignores the FAQ and re-ask questions, that's just life. but now that we have the FAQ, it will be less frequent and if they do, we can always point them to the FAQ.

    and of course, the FAQ is still quite small, it will be expanded as time allows...

Similar Threads

  1. not really important
    By ilostmybrain in forum Badminton Rackets / Equipment
    Replies: 2
    : 12-26-2008, 08:29 PM
  2. How important are...
    By bmc2005 in forum General Forum
    Replies: 8
    : 05-06-2008, 09:16 PM
  3. important!!!
    By suepr_star in forum Market Place
    Replies: 12
    : 04-13-2004, 01:34 PM
  4. Is this man important?
    By Cheung in forum China Professional Players
    Replies: 30
    : 11-13-2003, 04:19 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •