Determining string tension

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by bigredlemon, Dec 6, 2002.

1. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

Is there any easy way to objectively determine string tension? It doesn't need to be accurate. I'm just curious about what the tension on my racquet is... but not curious enough to buy a $30 CAD tension meter ;)
    Don't say feel it by using the racquet because i have no reference racquet to compare with.

I heard someone mention something about dropping weights from the string bed? I'm not sure if that actually works, and it probably loosens the string in the process too. So how do people determine their string tension... or do they not care and just play until the power is gone..

#1 bigredlemon, Dec 6, 2002
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2002
  2. TOmike

TOmike Regular Member

Student
    BRL,
    i think that its hard to correctly gauge your tension without the meter but just put your hands on the frame and push in. if it pushes inward a lot like those Yonex Factory strings, then its really low.. and so forth

but like i said its hard to correctly gauge. plus there is a strength difference from say.. you and me.

3. GarlicJoe

GarlicJoe Regular Member

Drone
    Hmm,

strings emit sounds of different frequencies when struck. Shouldn't it be possible to map certain string tensions to frequencies? It should be possible to make a small table with this info.. or a webpage with a couple of samples to compare with.

4. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

The frequency of the sound is determined by the frequency at which strings vibrate. If you hit it in the center of the string bed, the frequency by the length and width of the racquet head, and thus its shape. If you hit it off center, such as exactly 1/4th off the center, then resonance frequencies come into play, and you have to worry about how hard you hit it, and how much resonace characteristics it has... i'm sure there's someone here who can explain this better.

The problem here is that you would still need to know the tension to associate a frequency to it...

#4 bigredlemon, Dec 8, 2002
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2002
  5. Framerate

Framerate Regular Member

IT-related
    I always use the tune of the racket to determine string tension. But you have to have the same kind of string to do it. I have an unplayable Boron-2 as a reference. The longer you use the same string the lower the tune gets. The first time I play with a newstrung racket, it drops something like 5-10% in tension (I guess).
    You could use a piano or anything as a reference... not very scientific, but it works for my needs. You should not take the piano with you where you play. :D