Challenger 1, stringing questions

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by sihker, Feb 5, 2010.

1. sihker

sihker Regular Member

Short recap of my experience: about 70-80 racquets, mainly in the range of 22-26 lbs, no higher than 26 lbs.
    Machine: Trump SM-B1 http://www.photostringer.com/images/Trump_SM-B1.jpg
    Wanted to upgrade. Today my Challenger 1 arrived. 6 hours later, I'm not much wiser, than starting. Wanted to string my new Protech Nano 990, but after 5-6 half-assed attempts decided, that it is not fair to the new racquet, I want to test it properly :D

My main problems, that I didn't have with Trump:
    1) The string gripper(tensioning clamp) is too far even at the closest position, seems that there is not enough string with pre-weave (10M package) to start with mains from the center(2 loops at the throat). One option would be to go from one side to another(not my preferred way).

Does everybody use Challenger 1 with pre-weave and mains start from middle to the edge?

2) Fixing down the racquet. When I tighten the 12 and 6 o'clock, the 6 o'clock seems always somehow too loose. Are the side supports in the last holes or one before last? When I strung 1-2 mains, the 6 o'clock was away from the frame, do the crosses restore the shape?

3) Tension bar moves heavily and ratchet is too loud. Can I turn some bolts, or oil something, to make it move smoother?

4) How to start mains with Challenger 1? With Trump I started one side from the top, because handle was on the way of weight, the other side from the throat, both from the middle.

5) How to divide the string for mains, when one does not pre-weave. How long is the short part?

Maybe these topics are discussed somewhere in detail, sorry, I'm tired and confused :rolleyes:

2. gcb4ever

gcb4ever Regular Member

Obsessive - compulsive technique

I have strung at least 60 racquets with the Challenger I.

1) All racquets have started from the center mains. I am comically
    obsessive about using the least amount of string so I definitely
    pre-weave the mains and then pre-weave the top 10 or so crosses to
    avoid problems of shared and skipped grommets. This also avoids
    potential difficulties with the side supports.

I pre-weave roughly 16.5 feet(5 M) of string for the mains from one side to the other. You need about a foot of string to reach the gripper but remember that the string will stretch as it is tensioned so you really don't need as much as you think.

BG65 doesn't stretch as much as BG80 or BG85, which in turn don't stretch as much Nanogy95 or 98.

If you leave 4 inches of BG65 outside the frame on the short side you'll be fine. 3 inches for the thinner strings.

Once you've determined how much string you need, you'll have to "un-weave" about 4 mains on the short side to reach the gripper.

I always have at least 4.5 feet of string left over when I finish. Almost 6 feet if using Nanogy98.

2) Positioning the racquet with the side supports can sometimes loosen the
    12 and 6 o'clock supports. I usually just re-tighten. I use the one before
    last holes.

3) Yeah, the ratchet can be deafening. There's not much you can do
    about it.

4) Move the 12 and 6 supports off center. The racquet top should be on
    the short side. This way, the drop weight won't be obstructed by the
    racquet.

#2 gcb4ever, Feb 6, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  3. sihker

sihker Regular Member

Ok, will post follow up with pictures :)

4. sihker

sihker Regular Member

[​IMG]1) Do you use 2-part stringing? I usually use one part stringing, so I can't pre-weave top part :rolleyes:

I figured out myself, that if I don't pre weave the whole racquet, then the 'from center to the edges' is doable.

2) Thanks for the tip
    3) Somehow, the spring of the ratchet has weakened, so it is quiet now. The downside is, that I have to do the locking manually :) I have to reassemble, oil the system a bit, because the rod moves somehow heavily.
    4) Do you lock down the racquet asymmetrically? :) Should not be a problem per se, but don't the handle be an obstacle anyway?

New questions:
    Is it a good practice, that the head or throat does not reach the support?

[​IMG]

The distance between gripper and racquet is bloody long. I guess it is so because a tennis racquet has to fit also.

[​IMG]

Thanks again.

5. gcb4ever

gcb4ever Regular Member

I use 2 strings. The concensus on this forum(and other places)
    is that top to bottom on the crosses is the way to go.
    When I pre-weave it is still technically one string; I only split into two
    strings when I have tensioned the mains and tied the knots.

If the rod is moving sluggishly, you may just loosen the nut(minutely) holding
    the rod to the support.

You should close up the 12 and 6 supports so the top and bottom
    of the racquet rest on the rubber.

From the photo, you should also try to place your side supports at
    right angles to your racquet frame.

6. sihker

sihker Regular Member

My first impressions with Challenger 1

Positive:
    *) The package arrived nicely
    *) European transport was not that expensive
    *) Good packaging, everything was intact
    *) Machine was mostly assembled, so I didn't have to do it as per manual

Annoyances:
    *) One arrived flying clamp was defective, stayed close from one side, opened wide from the other. RMA is dealing with it at the moment
    *) Pro's Pro toolbox is kind of pointless for the badminton. The string mover has too thick point, so I cannot slide it under the string. The plyer and cutter are of low quality, I guess I need to RMA cutters. Maybe I can file string mover myself, I have to think a bit, or maybe order from mybadmintonstore, or maybe RMA.

Negative:
    *) Calibration is off. At 10kg it was 9kg of actual weight