Mp 88 worst MP?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Wizbit, Dec 7, 2002.

1. Wizbit

Wizbit Regular Member

Testing ladie's lingerie
    Hi,

I wonder is the MP88/80 the least liked/popular MP racket from Yonex?

The MP100 and MP77/70 are the most popular as they are established the longest and are endorsed by proffesionals. MP55/50 is the cheapest entry point to muscle power ownership and has also found it's market. MP 99/90 is the newest addition but already it is very popular as it has the best features combined from other rackets. Where does this leave MP88/80?

It is arguably one of the best looking rackets...but one that lacks power. For the same amount of money as a Burger King Meal, I could get a MP99/90 instead, or save a lot of money and buy the MP77....mmmmm....

Is Yonex range oversaturated??

2. ronk

ronk Regular Member

The MP 88 is the lightest MP, and it is available in 3 and 4 U. The other MPs come in 2 and 3 U. So if the player wants a real light Yonex racket, like a 4U, then the MP 88 is the way to go. If the player wants a 3U, the 3U weight is available in the 77, 88, 99, and 100 series and there is no real point in getting the 88. The 99 and 100 have titanium in the frame and the 77 is cheaper. I have the 77 and 55 and am considering getting the 99 or 100 when I visit Malaysia. I will not consider the 88 as I do not want the 3U weight much less the 4U.

Ron

3. Xuser

Xuser Regular Member

Computer Network Analyst
    I presently own a MP100 and MP77 and going to own a MP99. For my experience in doubles, I prefer the MP77 over MP100 because the latter is much heavier. For mixed play, I prefer the the MP100. I have tried the MP88 and didn't like the feel at all. I find it lacked power and feel most of the time, IMHO.

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

Agree.

I think the selection of a racket is really based on player's own preference. For hard hitter, MP100 is surely a better choice. However, for defensive style double player (like me) who prefer light rackets, MP88 will possibly on the top of the sorted list.

I am going to get a MP88 from tw in the next month or so. Hopefully I will provide a more detailed review on that, after i try it out.

5. TOmike

TOmike Regular Member

Student
    if u are more defensive, why not try out the SwingPower SR? i heard it is very good for defensive shots and quite the manuverable.

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I know. That's why I was "bidding" on jwu's iso swingpower SR in "market place". Too bad, guess I was a little bit too late to find that thread this time. As of Ti Swing Power SR, kinda very pricy in US market. Cost over $150.

7. TOmike

TOmike Regular Member

Student
    and the MP88 is how much?

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    MP88 should be around the same range. Therefore, I will get my racket in taiwan instead of in US. However, my friend checked a store next to her home, and they only have MP88 (TW) there, no Ti Swing Power. She will try to look for them for me in other stores when she got a chance.

The price for MP88 that she got was about $100 (USD). I think she can further cut down the price, if she can do some bargin on that. Still, that's about 60% price as in US.

9. TOmike

TOmike Regular Member

Student
    jwu's deal was exceptional. i wish i had gotten a hand on it.
    as we tell everyone when they ask about racquets, "try it first" haha

i have the SS and its nice, good power and good control.. i haven't heard a lot about the control of the MP series, but i would think the SP system can beat the control of MP systems.. but if u are looking for that extra "punch" i guess it would have to be MP.

10. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    LB, not 100% certain but I was told that the Ti Swing Power racquets are discontinued in Taiwan so the chance of you getting one there is gonna be slim. I was trying to look for one too 3 months ago and without much success.

Not sure if you can say MP88 is the worst, just that the racquet doesn't appeal to the general population who obviously favor power. Yonex is just trying to cover all ranges of badminton players out there so guess that's why mp88 is made.

11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I see... That's why my friend who tried to look for TI Swing power SR in TW, did not get any success, either.

MP88 is kinda not as popular as other MPs in the market, due to the fact of power generation. However, since I "self claimed" to be a defensive player, so, hope this one will serve me well enough.

12. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    so are you definitely getting a mp88 from TW? Have you tried the racquet yet? I can see if I can bring one down this coming weekend if you want to get a feel for it, well if you haven't. oh and btw, I just got my mp99 last night. :D can't wait to try that thing out this week.

13. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Wow... If I can try it beforing throwing $$$ to my friend, I will be more than happy to do that... So, if u can lend me MP88, i can simply swing it on the street when i meet u... hehehehhe... Hope ppl won't think I am getting crazy. I believe MP88 is 1cm longer than the normal racket, so, try it out will surely boost up my confidence a lot.

BTW, if u want to take a look at my YangYang Tactic 8500, I will bring it with me. It is regular length, so, I can use that to compare with ur MP88 as well.

14. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    sounds good LB, just give me a reminder friday night. :D I will bring the racquets along so you can take a look at it. Heck if you got a park somewhere we can even knock a few birds around, haha then people will really start looking at us weird. :D

15. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

This isn't a very technical review, but maybe it can still be informative.

I recently bought a new racket; I had been playing with a Pro-Kennex 767 for 4 years, and was at a medium-advanced standard. So I looked for the best racket money can buy.

Obviously the Yonex MP range was very attractive, so I selected two representatives: the MP 100 and the MP 88 (4U version). I wanted to get as clear a feel for the differences as possible - the MP 100 was clearly pitched as the "power" racket, and the MP 88 was pitched as the "control" racket (being the lightest). I also tried out an Yonex ISO Swing and a Forza racket.

When I came to test these rackets, the differences were astonishing. Of the power rackets, the MP 100 was definitely the best. However, the MP 100, the ISO Swing and the Forza all felt very similar.

I found that with all of these rackets, but especially the MP 100, I could hit a shot of medium power almost effortlessly. It was almost as though the MP 100 was hitting the shot for me! It was very easy to clear and drive to near the back of the court even with bad hitting preparation. Smashes were also effortless - even off apparently poor shots with clumsy body movement I could obtain a moderately powerful smash. It felt weird having all this power come from nowhere.

But although the power was effortless, it was only moderate. I actually found it difficult to hit very powerful shots with the MP 100, because I could not control the timing of the shot as well as with my previous racket. I also found it impossible to hit good drop shots, because I am used to slowing down the throwing action at the last moment, and I had trouble doing this with the MP 100.

The MP 88 was totally different. I actually found that I got more power with this racket than with the MP 100. Net play was far superior to the MP 100, and slow drops could be done off the clear action without over-hitting.

I think this racket is massively under-rated. I would not have swapped my old Pro-Kennex for the MP 100, which I felt was a horrible clumsy racket.

Whether you choose the MP 100 or the MP 88 depends very much on your playing style. I like a light, manouverable and balanced racket (despite what it says on the handle, the MP 88 is only slightly head-heavy). I find I can generate more power by timing (which is easier with a lighter racket) than by powerful swings of a massy racket. Players whose smash is based on raw strength, or who play an aggressive game and would like to be able to hit the shuttle hard from any position, would be better served by the MP 100.

#15 Gollum, May 23, 2003
    Last edited: May 23, 2003
  16. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Says who?
    I have both ISO-TISP-SR and MP-88(4U) and they are both fine! (in terms of power)

I got my MP-88(4U) from Taiwan 6 months ago and it has been a very good racquet.
    Yes, it is light, but people choose this racquet because of that! Returning shots fast are very important to some people and especially defensive players.

ISO-TISP-SR is a little bit harder to get used, while MP-88 is just easy! Just need 1 week to adjust your style of playing to be with it.

17. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Another thing is, MP-88's swing speed is the fastest due to its lightweight.
    Whoever wants to play a net game against MP88(4U) would get very frustrated for sure.

Having doubt on this? find someone who has it and play a net game with him and you will know in 10 minutes.

#17 bluejeff, May 23, 2003
    Last edited: May 23, 2003
  18. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

To me, the MP 88 seems ideal for net play :confused:

19. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    By the way, whoever is having doubt on the power part, if you really believe in that the light weight racquet would generate less power, well, think it again.

You are not hitt the shuttle with the racquet, you are hitting the shuttle with STRINGS! The power depends on the strength you have, you can't blame the racquets for that.

If you really believe in that heavier racquets does a better job in terms of power, you should get a steel racquet (200g+). Now, is that heavy enough?

20. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Yes, MP-88 is great for net games.

It was a typo:p