Do you say the right things in a Match??

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by gingerphil79, Feb 6, 2010.

1. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    I was in a match last night. My team won 3 - 1. I won both my games. But something that really hit home with me was what my teammate said. They were 19 - 17 up and ended up losing the match.

He came back to me and said what he had told himself and his partner. He said, "Don"t let them back into the match and then we let them back into the match."

This phrase did not help their game. If anything I felt it lost them that match. U might be wondering how?? Let me explain.

What was said here is a negative phrase. They are saying what they don't want. But these kind of phrases don't work!! Because ur subconscious mind will focus on the strongest thought, doesn't matter what that thought is, it will act because it believes this is what you want. If you think about it, you want it to happen. So what my team mate told his brain was actually, "let them back into the match!"

This might not make sense so to clarify things, "I DONT want you to think of a elephant." Now I know u just thought of an elephant! Your subconscious brain doesn't see the don't or do. It just sees the thought, the picture in your head and acts upon it.

The Solution!

Be positive about everything. Make every phrase out ur mouth positive. If you want to win, say lets win this. Dont say I dont want to lose this. In the example above, my team mate should have said, "Lets stay in the lead and we will win!" Tell your brain what you want!

Also never put yourself down. My other teammate said, sorry that was a crap shot or that was a terrible shot. He is focusing on the bad shots so therefore telling his brain, this is what I want. Bad shots, dismiss them and for good shots that you play say, "THATS LIKE ME!"

PS. Also look at my thread on: Mistakes, How to deal with them - LINK

2. gingerphil79

Sports massage therapist
    Just bumping this up the list :p

3. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Lucky that you bumped this up, i can see you now :)

4. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Yes thats rite, stay positive and you'll be ok. a better one would be to forget about all the mantal pressure and just enjoy and play your best game

5. gingerphil79

Sports massage therapist
    You are right. I have found for me anyway, its best to think of it as just another walk in the park, no big deal. Last few matches ive played, I have been so relaxed and I have won my last 7 matches.

I always believe I will win, if my opponents are weak, I dont think the match will be easy, I say am going to grind them into the dust, make them wish they had never turned up just so I keep the intensity up!