Play badminton in HK during Xmas

Discussion in 'China / Hong Kong' started by Wizbit, Dec 7, 2002.

1. Wizbit

Wizbit Regular Member

Testing ladie's lingerie
    Hi,

I am in HK for 2 weeks during Xmas, is anyone interested in playing badminton? As I say, just for 2 weeks, you guys/gals can show me around HK and we can compare moves hehe :D

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Out of interest, how good are you?

School level?
    University team? (which one :))
    local league? Division
    County league? Division
    Any better than that ?:cool:

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

4. Wizbit

Wizbit Regular Member

Testing ladie's lingerie
    Level of play

Thanks for replying Cheung,

I guess I am an average player, skill wise. I have never learnt badminton properly, and so in this respect am still a beginner.

I play regardless of tactics, strategy and technique, but with plenty of enthusiasm and passion. I just play because I enjoy it! I played university badminton (2nd) whilst the club was still active and play at league clubs every now and then.

I could benefit from coaching, more practise and frequent playing but I am sure you realise how much this can take up your finances and time for a student. Coaching rates are 20 GBP per hour!

I had a few people tell me that I had potential, but needed some formal training. I am hoing to learn a lot from watching and playing in Hong Kong as the enthusiasm and professionalism is much greater than here in the UK.

I Hope I havn't put off any people from inviting me :confused:

I am primarily staying at relatives in Tai Po, NT. Travelling is not much of an issue, as HK is much smaller than UK :D or is it? :confused:

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Tai Po....centre of the Universe!

Use the search function and put in 'Tai Po'. I wrote about it sometime before.

So your Uni badminton club folded up?

6. Wizbit

Wizbit Regular Member

Testing ladie's lingerie
    HI,

I transfered to a different course at a different Uni :p

The course is great (BA Digital Arts) but there is no club here. No courts on campus, no one wants to play anyway...sigh :eek: Even the chinese society in the uni is underground. It is meant to exist, but I can't find anyone who knows. The address is some broom cupboard in some abandoned section of the campus :confused:

Recently I started playing at some clubs who play league in the West London area.

As to Tai Po is the center of the universe :D I know my way to the 2 main McD, so I won't starve :D

My Chinese is not too hot so I think I would rarely catch the bus. Same goes for Taxi as they could be taking me for a ride. Best to stick to the relatively safe MTR and KCR then?

Anyone wanna invite me to have a game? What is your level of play Cheung? I remembered u used to study in UK? but don't really know any more.

By the way, I met the Hong Kong team baddie team after the All England. I was at a restaurant and that Indo guy (Smaller in real life) and is it something Wang or Chen (so sorry) and a fat man came in. I presume he was the coach, very dark tanned and loud, but very authoritative. And then a group of loud elder chinese people came in...I have no idea who they where. They could have been legends. I was so gutted I didn't have a camera.

They didn't eat much tho...me and my friend ate more than the 3 of them put together! The girl was cute, she smiled at me :) and I even talked to her (ask her to pass chilli sauce!). Forgot to share the story tim!

7. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Wizbit,

Your story is so cool. You are welcome to play with us on Dec 15th. Just PM me for information.

Pete

8. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    oopppppppps, got the date wrong. Just PM me. Anytime in Dec is fine!

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Wizbit, you can go to see the cute girl in HK again!!

Just go to the Sports Institute where the HK team train. Don't ask me for an introduction. You seem to have enough natural charm yourself.

Let me guess, if you are in West London, your Uni is TV Uni?

Contact me via Private Messgaes me for more details...

10. Jazz

Jazz Regular Member

Industrial Designer
    Hi

Hi ar, know that you are looking for some badminton club to play with during Christmas, my club play on every SAT 2-5pm at Tsuen Wan, my club players are in between lower-mid to advanced level, you can come and join us. This is our schedule in DEC

14/12/02---------- 02:00pm-05:00pm (Wai Tsuen, TsuenWan) 1+2+2

21/12/02---------- 03:00pm-05:00pm (Wai Tsuen, TsuenWan) 2+2

You can contact me via e-mail, jazzlau3@netvigator.com

11. Wizbit

Wizbit Regular Member

Testing ladie's lingerie
    Invitation taken!

Hehe, thanks for the invite Pete! I'm not sure where you play and how to get there...

Cheung - yes and no, It's LCMM london college of music and media to give it's full name :D and shares a site with TVU. New instituition so hence no sports halls..

I doubt the cute girl remembers me...but I remembered what she ate :) and no, I didn't lick her dish clean afterwards :p. Just out of curiosity, what was her name? If I am not wrong, one guy who is representing Hk is from Indonesia and one girl is from China. How do they all communicate? They spoke cantonese but very rudimentary one word answers and spoke only when addressing the coach (presumed coach, as he could be a father...I dunno).

By the way, do you guys have spare rackets?

12. Wizbit

Wizbit Regular Member

Testing ladie's lingerie
    Thanks Jazz

Just saw your message, thanks to you too Jazz! Let you know sooner when I get to HK. Don'y expect too much from me right? afterall, I am from UK...:p

13. Jazz

Jazz Regular Member

Industrial Designer
    Hey, no problem just come and have some fun. Send me e-mail, and I give you my contact no. ok.

And guess what, I was study in UK for almost 9 yrs, from College to University. I studied GCSE and A-Levels in Ipswich, and SouthBank University London, doing Engineering Product Design.

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Wizbit, not sure about the small Indo guy. You must be pretty tall yourself then.

So you must have met Wang Chen and either Agus or Albertus. Besides the dish, did you lick anywhere else (oh, just being curious :))?:D

15. Wizbit

Wizbit Regular Member

Testing ladie's lingerie
    Erm...I am not tall :(..about 5'9 which is average for chinese guys? I expected the badminton players to be taller that's all...and not looking a bit on the fragile side. Of course if I could get 1 point from him I would be laughing :D

16. Jazz

Jazz Regular Member

Industrial Designer
    You telling me that you are not tall for 5'9 ??? No way man, you are way taller than me. I'm about 5'4-5, but my jumping will scare you haha.........well, you'll see when you come around on SAT

^_^

17. wind rider

wind rider Regular Member

Student
    yo Jazz am i welcome as well?
    same as Wiz staying only for a short while im leaving on the 7th
    if i am can u plz e-mail me ur contact no. at 1128@stonyhurst.ac.uk
    also i might be from UK but i got an A*in GCSE chinese so i think i will have no problem communicating with u guys

18. Wizbit

Wizbit Regular Member

Testing ladie's lingerie
    But I thought professional players are taller because of the height advantage.

By the way, I will arrive in Hong Kong Tuesday. When are you guys playing badminton next? There has been a flu epidemic here and I couldn't escape :(

I am still trying to recover after 2 weeks! Hope I can make it to play :rolleyes:

19. Jazz

Jazz Regular Member

Industrial Designer
    OH dear, hope you will get well soon. Our last game in 2002 is coming SAT, from 15:00-17:00.

You have my contact no. already right? If you don't, please mail me at jazzlau3@netvigator.com

Take care

Jazz

20. Wizbit

Wizbit Regular Member

Testing ladie's lingerie
    Thanks!

Jazz,

Thanks to you and the rest of the JAM club for making me feel so welcome. You have some very good players (including yourself ;)

Next time I go to HK I will definetly visit again (if I'm welcome :p).

Best wishes to all of you