jump smash

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by alexspencer, Feb 7, 2010.

1. alexspencer

alexspencer Regular Member

Can Someone please help me because my jump smash consistently hit the net and I do not know why:confused:. Need HELP :eek:

2. druss

druss Regular Member

I replied to your question on clearing and to be honest, if you can't clear end to end then you should not be jump smashing. I know it looks cool but you're not at the level where you can do it consistantly if you can't even clear end to end.

3. bowi12

bowi12 Regular Member

student
    this post looks a bit like spam to me tbh. This guy made 4 HELP post in like 10 minutes. And 2 of them are even the same. They are the only 4 posts this guy ever made on this forum aswell.

4. druss

druss Regular Member

Well, most peoples first posts are almost always asking for help or in the buy/sell section so that doesn't really surprise me.

5. alexspencer

alexspencer Regular Member

Yes I am asking for help really quickly but I am just a 12 yr old kid who is built with not a lot of strength. I am small fast and run in a lot of cross country races with my school and at national level.
    There are many things wrong with my game such as: overhead strokes-clear smash and drop shot. I have only been playing badminton for about half a year now after being introduced to the sport by my school (in PE lessons). I think my skills are good and I can beat all the kids in my school. I have also searched on youtube for some suggestions to my problems.

I find that when I play someone who is older than me such as my dad or uncle that they can lift the shuttle from the net and I will do my best to clear it back but it will always go to around about the mid-court area

Also my smashes are good I can play them cross court, down the line or straight but lately I have seen new techniques from youtube such as Peter Rasmussen how To jump smash video and it says to jump up with your arms swinging upwards for more height and power. And I have watched people like Lin Dan and they do use this technique but when I try it, it usually hits the net. occasionally it goes over and it tends to be a good smash. if it goes over the net

6. TheBear

TheBear Regular Member

Alex - your best bet is to find a good coach, or try to get involved with your local county setup. I believe in building the game up in a structured, complete way, rather than this which is like assembling bits of a jigsaw - miss a couple of important pieces and it's all a bit messy!
    Video is a good way for remote coaching, but at your age you must be sure of who you are dealing with, and so you should get your parents involved first before you do anything.
    Good luck (and be careful!)

7. NoRice4U

NoRice4U Regular Member

Student
    TBH i reckon your timing is off when you jump off the ground and hit the shuttlecock, and btw its not easy to do a Full Smash in mid-air attempting to turn your shoulder to generate power =Þ

8. singnflip4life

singnflip4life Regular Member

Full Time Med Student
    A jump smash is the very last forehand stroke you should ever learn.

9. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    Yep. Forget jump-smashes altogether for now - you'll only tire yourself out anyway.
    If you develop such power that your smashes always go out the back of the court unless you jump, then it'll be worth learning. That's not going to happen until you're a bit older though, and right now there are other much more important techniques to master (eg. footwork).

10. Babyface

Babyface Regular Member

Student
    JUmp smash is always a flashy shot imo and i can see why everyone asks about this shot.
    But as they say, it isnt something you want to jump into straight away.
    Perfect footwork before anything

11. canti

canti Regular Member

Student
    i think we all agree that you should not try out the jump smash. I could not do a decent jump smash till my 3rd year of high school badminton. (self trained) So unless you find a coach to teach you all your other shots and the jump smash, dont try it till you've mastered your other shots. You should not worry about jump smashing!

12. Babyface

Babyface Regular Member

Student
    i learnt how to jump smash in a few months ;)... came quite easy to be honest.
    But you are definately right.... learn other shots first. and most importantly footwork

13. singnflip4life

singnflip4life Regular Member

Full Time Med Student
    What's funny is, my friend has both a wrist smash and a jump smash. And his jump smash is actually more powerful because he uses his body correctly to add power. The only problem? He can't direct it. It's always a straight, down the line smash, meaning I almost always returned it. However his regular smash has so much more deception to it. So IMO, I'd rather learn a proper deceptive hard drop than a jump smash. The problem with a jump smash is that since you leave your feet, it raises your recovery time and lowers your reaction time.

14. druss

druss Regular Member

Yep, if your partner is not on the ball and you make a poor smash which allows them to attack then you've probably lost the point or at the least put on the defensive.

I think the worst may be when you smash return a high serve, your partner really has to be watching since you're probably going to be out of position or your recovery will take time.

15. ryim_

ryim_ Regular Member

Capital Market Research
    an expression comes to mind ... "learn to walk before you run" ... i think that sums it up pretty well.

16. NoRice4U

NoRice4U Regular Member

Student
    You shouldn't both doing jump smash unless you have high VO2, because your suppose to jump and smash with all your energy which is a drainer

17. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Dear Alex,

To do a proper jumping smash, the contact point between your racket and birdie must be optimal while jumping, in which this can only be done if you position yourself ideally in front of the birdie (through fast end (net) to end (baseline) footwork) so that you can view your attacking angle (<90 - 45 degree view). But then to able to position yourself at this point, you must first improve your footwork first.

18. keith.roche

keith.roche Regular Member

besides,
    you'll acquire these skills IN TIME.
    You said you just started half an year back..
    Your game is young...
    Just play... but make sure you play it the RIGHT way... which would be possible only if you attend some training lessons...

19. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
  20. charliebadders

charliebadders Regular Member

student
    that is a nice jump smash !:p i wish i could jump smash been trying for ages but it never can seem to get the timing right when i'm thinking about. its more of a spur of the moment thing when someone goes that was a nice jump smash. huh? what? i jumped? lol i think its because i'm so use to normal smashing by the time i think i'll jump smash this the shuttle has already gone to low and i've missed it :p