How To Get Power In Your Clear

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by alexspencer, Feb 7, 2010.

1. alexspencer

alexspencer Regular Member

My clears are always too short of the baseline and my opponent seems to finish me off with a well executed smash. Can someone please tell me how to hit my clears long and deep

2. druss

druss Regular Member

Hit them harder?

What level do you play at? You might need some instruction on how to grip and swing correctly. Do a search on youtube as there are videos on there.

3. alexspencer

Yes I am asking for help really quickly but I am just a 12 yr old kid who is built with not a lot of strength. I am small fast and run in a lot of cross country races with my school and at national level.
    There are many things wrong with my game such as: overhead strokes-clear smash and drop shot. I have only been playing badminton for about half a year now after being introduced to the sport by my school (in PE lessons). I think my skills are good and I can beat all the kids in my school. I have also searched on youtube for some suggestions to my problems.

I find that when I play someone who is older than me such as my dad or uncle that they can lift the shuttle from the net and I will do my best to clear it back but it will always go to around about the mid-court area

Also my smashes are good I can play them cross court, down the line or straight but lately I have seen new techniques from youtube such as Peter Rasmussen how To jump smash video and it says to jump up with your arms swinging upwards for more height and power. And I have watched people like Lin Dan and they do use this technique but when I try it, it usually hits the net. occasionally it goes over and it tends to be a good smash. if it goes over the net

4. joeyf

joeyf Regular Member

Singles/Doubles Player
    When I use clears, I normally use my wrist and can hit it from baseline to baseline. I recommend you strengthen your wrist by practicing using a racquet with a racquet head cover on top and just keep constantly practice the movement. Once you take the cover off the effects are easily noticeable. I did this for my backhand and now I can backhand clear with a nice wrist movement.

5. alexspencer

WOW!!!! I just tried that and it is tough on yr wrist and the effects are noticeable. Thanks a lot JOEY:cool:

6. visor

visor Regular Member

Yes, specifically wrist supination, ie. snap of the wrist with perfect timing would be the technique to help you clear better.

7. TheBear

TheBear Regular Member

Do you have a video of you playing? (perhaps on YouTube?)
    Would make it much better to diagnose rather than just guessing....

8. NoRice4U

NoRice4U Regular Member

Student
    How well can you control your clear? Because i get power pretty easy but consistency><||| FAIL! Sometimes is it just me but some shuttlecocks got more ”手感" feel which is easy to control imo compare to light-weight and slow shuttles

9. joeyf

joeyf Regular Member

Singles/Doubles Player
    Thats why practice helps :) Power and control also come from timing. You need to time your shots correctly so that the shuttle goes where you want it to go. Another important factor is how you hold your racquet e.g. what grip position. And Alex, using the that technique only helps build power, you also know how to place your clears well too :p. Just keep practicing and your clears will get better.

10. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    Grip is important, use the basic grip, make sure this is right!!

http://www.badmintonbible.com/articles/grips-guide/grips/basic-grip.php

This grip forces you to twist your forearm into the shuttle which generates the power. But its not all forearm, twist your body into the shuttle.

You always hit the shuttle side on so if you are right handed, your right foot will be at the back when you are getting ready to hit the shot, then as you hit the shuttle, you twist your body and move your right foot forward.

I dont know what level you are at but the most common errors I see is using wrong grip and standing face on to shuttle rather than sideways to the shuttle.

Hope this helps

11. exalted

exalted Regular Member

Marketing
    Hey, alex [spencer],

Nice to have you posting in the forums - I wish I started badminton when I was 12!

As some supplementary advice, you can try doing light muscle training like pushups and such, probably wouldn't recommend actual weight lifting but during your free time you can swing your racket simulating a clear in order to have more fluent movement and add some forearm strength.

12. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    I'd have to agree with what Druss posted in your other thread. It doesn't hurt to look at videos and ask questions online, but if you're even remotely serious about badminton then you really must join a club.

To improve your game, you need to be practicing as much as possible, and with stronger players who will push you, and who you can learn from.
    Even if the club doesn't provide much actual coaching, you're likely to get some good advice - whereas PE teachers tend to be more into rugby/football, and may not actually know very much about badminton.
    Plus it's fun, and you'll make new friends :)

13. lukasek97

lukasek97 Regular Member

I am 12 too and it is hard to get good clear but I try to practice the clears about 15 mins every day and then you will get better/stronger

P.S. I play badminton on Mon/Tue/Thu/Fri and on Friday after school we have Keith Turnbull [SCO] coming to our school and he tells us what we should improve etc.
    He goes to our school on Tuesday for 3 hrs So I get a lot of practice

14. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    get the armortec 700 or armortec 900 POWER

15. lukasek97

lukasek97 Regular Member

Me or alexspencer or both

16. cooler

cooler Regular Member

ohh, i only read the post #1.

well for u 2 young lads, i would write u a prescription for a 4UAT700 or 4UAT900P:)

17. lukasek97

lukasek97 Regular Member

I'm gonna be getting NS7000 with BG65 strung at 27 or 26 lbs for my birthday cos Keith Turnbull let me play with it for a match and I just loved it

18. lukasek97

lukasek97 Regular Member

I am one of the best 1st Years in my school and I can beat some good 2nd Years

19. cooler

cooler Regular Member

but u said u still having problem wif d clear.

20. lukasek97

lukasek97 Regular Member

I had probs with that but I don't anymore so I'm :)