Rear court Footwork

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by alexspencer, Feb 7, 2010.

1. alexspencer

alexspencer Regular Member

I am really confused about the footwork to the FOREHAND side of the rear court. I have heard all about things like sashay steps and shuffle steps and also 3 step sequences but I do not know which ones to do or in what order to put them in. :confused::confused: Can someone please give me help and advice:cool:

2. druss

druss Regular Member

You've asked for quite a bit of advise in the last couple of days and what I'm going to advise is that you find a local club that gives badminton lessons. You're not going to learn all that you're asking online... especially footwork. Footwork is the key to many shots and is a fundamental, you want to learn it the right way. Same thing goes for grip and swinging as both will help improve your game.

3. alexspencer

alexspencer Regular Member

but still, can anyone just give me some examples of FOREHAND rear court footwork like now

4. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

5. BrioCloud

BrioCloud Regular Member

UC Davis Student
    I'm going to have to disagree with you there. I have learned everything I knew from online, especially this site. I then went from nothing to co-coach and finally placing 3rd in my league in high school. I think he should master the answers deeply rather than asking many questions and understanding only the shallow points.

6. druss

druss Regular Member

Sorry but I have to disagree with that point of view. There are too many ways to learn the wrong thing... just because it's on the internet doesn't make it true. There are too many "internet experts" out there. Not saying that there aren't very knowledgeable people on here because there are, just that there is no faster way of learning the CORRECT way than taking lessons from a good coach.

I progressed the most in my men's open standings when I was training under a college badminton team coach. It took him longer to teach than it should have because I had to spend most of the time unlearning the things that I was doing wrong before I could learn the correct way. Keep in mind that I was ok before the coaching, I placed 7th in my high school provincial (state) competition.

I also play golf and have gotten many books, videos... etc. but none of that holds a candle to a live coach who can see your swing and fix it. Same is true for badminton.

7. BrioCloud

BrioCloud Regular Member

UC Davis Student
    That's why I don't look at one source, and accept it for what it is. I look at many sources, learn from them, check with them from watching professional videos to see if they also do that, then ask badminton central forum, and if they all match up, then I decide that the technique is true.

Just because you can learn faster from a coach, doesn't make the internet a source that can be discarded. The validity of a technique can be proven through strenuous research and deliberation like a thread on badminton central, where there are many well taught and coached players, and maybe even coaches. I wasn't arguing that the internet was faster than a coach.

Regarding your story about unlearning all your techniques, I was fortunate enough to find this website and research and ask questions throughout my badminton career, so I didn't have to spend so many hours with a coach unlearning things, I didn't need a coach at all and reached 3rd place in singles in my league. Maybe when you learned all those bad habits, which was before you had a good coach, you should of researched for proper technique so you wouldn't have to waste you coaches time.

#7 BrioCloud, Feb 9, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2010