What's good about this?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by TNBRE, Feb 7, 2010.

1. TNBRE

TNBRE Regular Member

Student
    I was taught to net kill by sweeping the racket from one side to another (For example, swing the racket from the right to the left, parallel to the net, to kill), instead of using a quick wrist motion to put it down. What is the benefit to net killing like this? (Sorry if this sounds confusing, and if more clarification is needed, I'll try to give it.)

Thanks in Advance!

2. visor

visor Regular Member

This is the only way to net kill a shuttle that is floating just over the net, without the racket touching the net itself... which would automatically result in a fault.

If the shuttle is high enough, of course, hit it down with a smash or tap.

3. druss

druss Regular Member

Agreed, the sweeping motion allows you to maintain power when the shuttle is close to the net. A tap down motion does not allow enough power as you're concerned with hitting the net on the follow through.

4. nprince

nprince Regular Member

Engineer
    This is called "brush net kill" and to be used only when the shuttle is so close to the net to play any proper usuall net kill. If you have a more std option to play a net kill, then always use that.
    However, when the shuttle is so close to the net that you can not swing the racket without touching the net, this is a better option. This way, you get to play an attacking shot which your opponents will have to lift or some times you win a point straight. Also this is a high percentage shot where chances of error from your side are less. As you are brushing from out to in, shuttle will not go out. You will not hit the net as there is no much forward swing and also, you are less likely to miss hit or mistime the shuttle because even if you misshit, at least some part of your racket may make contact and that is good ebough.

5. elvinteh

elvinteh Regular Member

factory
    From my experience, making a net kill no need to be so hard.
    If the shuttlecock just flow over the net. If pushing too hard might cause fault or out. If play double, the over partner will cover. Just simply push it over the net, push to the both side or push it to opponent body. This will cause the opponent panic and give a better opportunity to take point.

6. milford30

milford30 Regular Member

is it ok to have your racket over then net, but the actual shot you play is on your side? or is it still forbidden?

7. druss

druss Regular Member

As long as you make contact on your side of the net, your follow through is allowed to go over the net.

8. visor

visor Regular Member

So, just to clarify, what if I hit the shuttle before it has crossed over to my side of the net?

9. druss

druss Regular Member

NO... the shuttle comes over the net, you hit it and in the follow through your racket passes over the net into the other court. you MUST make contact with the shuttle on your side of the net.

Fault when:
    15.5 If, when in play, the initial point of contact with the shuttle is not on the striker's side of the net. (The striker may, however, follow the shuttle over the net with the racket in the course of a stroke).

15.6.2 Invades an opponent's court OVER THE NET with racket or person except as permitted in Law 15.5;

10. visor

visor Regular Member

Cool, thanks for clarifying!

I think there have been a few times over the past few years that I had probably unintentionally hit the bird with my racket just barely on the other side of the net (eg. bad mishit by opponent causing the bird to pop up high over the net), but playing socially without an umpire, we didn't know any better...

11. druss

druss Regular Member

No biggie in social play IMO. I'd say there are probably at least 5 bad calls per game in social play.