practising with lesser ability players

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by matscam, Dec 9, 2002.

1. matscam

matscam Regular Member

Designer
    Hi everyone,

I dont know if this has been mentioned before in this forum, but can anyone suggest a good way to practise with players that are of less ability than myself.
    They are not so bad that I can not get a competive game, but I feel restricted in my training.

I am not the best player in the world myself :) but I feel a level above the people that I train regularly with.

Unforutnately getting some different training partners is not a very easy option, plus getting the time in a badminton hall to play is also difficult, as they are all booked up most of the time.

2. Kiwiplayer

Kiwiplayer Regular Member

To really get the most out of playing with people who are of a lower standard, you probably need to do more routines and training exercises, rather than just playing games. Then you'll both benefit

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Even though, play with ppl who has limited skills kinda making ur game not very competitive, u still can get some training done if u apply the right approach.

For me, when I play with ppl who has lower level of skills, I usually use this time to try out my new moves. I can't apply such training when I am in a competitive game, since it may cost me the game. However, in a less intensive game, I can feel free to apply all the news I've been taught or saw from others. This way, I won't make my opponents look bad since I will make some mistakes (like miss a shot, miss sweetspot), and I can gain experience and confidence on new tactic.

4. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    Do drills rather than games would be better in this case. Take the time to practice your weak points, i.e. backhand, drops, etc. playing a game w/ lower level players don't work sometime because the basics is what they lack and they should focus on learning them first before getting into any games where they need to learn about tactics.

5. matscam

matscam Regular Member

Designer
    yes, that is pretty much what I do, I try out new things, knowing the I wont get completely annihilated trying something different.

The trouble is that I find myself having to wake myself up when playing tournaments, and I realise that I have put my badminton up a gear to get into the match, by that time I have lost a lead already.:|

6. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    When you're playing agianst player of lower skill, it's possible that you dont smash or slice, but just concentrate on simple clears,drops, netshots

My friend when playing against players of lower skill, he just concentrates on his clears(practicing it during play @@) and eventually when the opponent makes a really bad shot, he'll just put him away

Just a thought

7. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    Sometimes I try out new moves, sometimes I juz try and improve my smashing. just learn how to, so still need practice.

8. Lefty

Lefty Regular Member

Sales
    If I play with player who is not playing as good, all I do is to hit to one corner and one corner only. So you'll be completely in the defense and you have to hit it back to the same corner. Once you think you master one corner, start on the other corner.

It'll take a while before you can master all four corner.

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i do that to equal level player too. just find a spot in the court, and just keep hitting there. and then when you get bored with that one, find another corner, and do the same.

10. sjoe

sjoe Regular Member

Engineer
    At one stage when someone is so good, he/she will have the same problem as you're facing. Player who is number one in the Club, Country or world, who do they practicing games with ? Here I try to give you some examples of what every player will be facing as they improves and does not mean that they should say good bye and stop trainning with lesser level players or excuses for not trainning anymore cause no one to play with.

All the suggestions in this threads are very valid but I will add my suggestion here.
    When you have to practise playing game, these are things that you can do :

- Set a target for points that you opposition should get from you with your normal playing style.
    - Play a game with rally and control style for a week or so.
    - Next time you play him again, play with defensive style for a week a so.
    - Following week with attacking.
    - And combinning all styles in one game. The time that you have to play aggresive, set a target (say this 5 points depend on your fitness) with all out speed. You have to decide before the game start on which sequence (rally, defence, attack) and stick with your plan.

The last one is important for yourself to train you to push yourself physically to follow your thinking.

Hope my suggestion is usefull. Good luck.

11. Phil

Phil Regular Member

Lawyer
    I used to think that I needed to play or train with equal or better players to improve. I learned yesterday from a coach that his best player who is first in province, and has won a junior national title before, so far this season trains with 8 to 12 year olds. I was like :confused:. And these aren't spectacular kids either. It's because all of their kids transferred to a new school. Just goes to show you that if you have the right approach and mindset, it doesn't matter too much who you train with. Of course, that is most likely until you reach a much higher level.

Phil

12. viver

viver Regular Member

I think in order to at least maintain your level you need to play with players of your own level. Or the lesser skilled players help him in the practice - i.e. 2 vs 1 drills.

If he is unbeaten and ranked first and does not need to practice with better players, either he is a very gifted player or there not much competition around.

13. Phil

Phil Regular Member

Lawyer
    He is not unbeaten, at least in mixed I believe. Its not that he wants to practice with these youngsters, it's that thats all his club has besides a couple other U19s who must also help the young ones. His coach said that he was sort of getting frustrated training with them, and is trying to find better players. But a point that the coach was saying to us was that you don't need good/better players to regularly train with to be good. You go out and decide what you want to work on, and you do that with whoever you train with, regardless of skill level compared to your own.

Phil

14. viver

viver Regular Member

I used to have a colleague, whom I thought was very gifted and talented player. He never had a professional coach and played for the school team. His training partners were mostly in the beginners level. He played once a week with his family in a club and most of the opposition were players in their 50's. But he always won the annually held inter school badminton competition. One would only give him more credit when knowing his competitors go to professional coaches and practice with more skilled players. One even went back to Indonesia to train during the summer vacation but still lost to my friend in the finals.

In my opinion it's always good for a developing player to practice with players of his level or above. Helping out younger/lesser skilled is fine but still needs to practice with same level players to maintain/improve your mind and skills. But if he can decide how and what to do in his training then I see him as an advanced level player.

15. Californian

Californian Regular Member

If you play often against players of lower ability, you have to guard against developing bad habits or becoming lazy. You don't get a clear indication of how good your shot really is when you play against a low-level opponent.

16. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

If you're playing/practicing against someone of a lesser calibar skill level than you, what I can suggest is practicing NEWLY learned shots. Those newly learned shots can't be too great/effective against highly skilled players so by playing against less ability players than yourself, you can practice the precision, timing, or whatever of the shot knowing that the lesser skilled opponent might not be able to return the shot or will return it in a "lower skilled practiced" way. Rather than playing against high calibar players and them just killing you when you use these shots, playing against weaker opponents will allow you to gain the technique and also help the opponent in him/her practicing his game when YOU use the shots. hope that helps?

17. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

He must have been very gifted indeed. Practicing jump shots must have been really hard for him and yet he still plays so well. Imagine if he did have coaching!