Difference in SP and TW?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by joeyf, Feb 9, 2010.

1. joeyf

joeyf Regular Member

Singles/Doubles Player
    Note: Used search function already

I have finally decided to buy a Arcsaber 10 3U. I was looking at www.sohubuy.com and they sold 2 versions, 1 which was SP which was more expensive and another which was cheaper. I wonder if there is a difference in quality, play-wise and paint-wise. And also, is every racquet "Made in Japan". Thanks :cool:

2. druss

druss Regular Member

All high end rackets, like the arc10, are made in Japan. The codes by region are there to reflect which region the racket is meant to be sold into.

I've never owned a TW coded racket but can't imagine they are any different if they all come out of the same factory.

3. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Different lettering, same racket :D

4. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

same poo different smell :)

5. AurorAX

AurorAX Regular Member

Biotech Sales / Marketing
    There are many people who say all the different coded rackets are exactly the same, but some say the paint quality is different, and some even say the build quality is different. No1 knows the true answer, so take your pick :p

6. ryim_

ryim_ Regular Member

Capital Market Research
    I have yet to experience any real significant differences between any of the distribution codes that I have used so I believe they are the same. I've used SP, CH, IP, SP, CD, US, JP and will get a hold of TW coded ones as well.

7. druss

druss Regular Member

Personally, I think the people that think certain coded rackets are better are just trying to justify paying a higher price.

I think there might be one exception to that rule though, I can see Yonex holding back the rackets which have the highest quality control for their dosmestic JP market. Not sure if that is the case but can sure see it happening.

8. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    I have compared JP NS9900 with SP NS9900, i have noticed that JP paint quality is far more better than SP. Playing wise, JP coded is a little bit stiffer (more demanding), which is unnoticeable for most of the recreational player.

9. HKChua

HKChua Regular Member

Software Architect
    Well... technically, they are the same.

But... psychologically, it makes it look cheap, sound cheap and it will affect your soul, thus ultimately your performance...

Thanks.

10. druss

druss Regular Member

Even if it was true, that is only one example. You need a much larger test set than 1 to give statistical certainty.

11. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    Yeah you are right druss. i am only comparing a few of JP NS9900 and SP NS9900, and a friend of mine have the same finding as well in other series racket that he has ( AT, ARC,MP ,etc).
    IMHO, even if JP and SP racket has some differences, the differences is small enough to influence the racket performance in general.

12. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Overall, these small differences (if there is) are insignificant to affect player's ability to use the rackets.

Personally, I felt tiny differences between my Arc7 (CD and JP) just test swinging around. During gameplay, I don't notice them at all. Most of the time I forgot which racket is my JP as I just pick any of the Arc7s to use and play.

#12 Matt, Feb 10, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  13. bad_fanatic

bad_fanatic Regular Member

Day dream about being a Pro Badminton Player
    I don't have too much experience with different coding on other Yonex rackets, but I with the Armortec series I've experience with AT700 in JP, IP, SP and CP code. I've also tried the AT800 OFF & DEF in JP and SP code, and the AT900T in JP and TW code.

For sheer playing, you're not going to notice any difference. The rackets still exhibit the same characteristics. Balance, flex, etc... are all the same.

However the durability and weight of the racket are different. JP coded rackets tend to be a bit heavier and little more durable. I bought some SP & IP coded AT700 3UG5 (Old Color) from a shop in HK and I felt that it actually feel the same as the JP AT700 4UG5. I have to say that the JP and CP coded racket are very identical. Same weight, and everything.

Playing at 30+ lbs, the JP racket last longer at higher tension, given that there's no racket collision.

14. ryim_

ryim_ Regular Member

Capital Market Research
    Even if we talk about the exact same racket, code, weight and grip size, there is still quite a bit of difference. For example, I have two exact same MP99 (manufactured in different years), both IP/3U/G4 and the older one feels quite a bit heavier.

15. druss

druss Regular Member

There will always be variations in manufacturing, there is no way that any manufacturer will get all the rackets exactly the same weight and balance point. That's why most list a weight range and Yonex doesn't even list balance point specs... just head light or head heavy.

All this is checked during the QC process which is why I think that even though all the rackets are made in the same plant, the ones that pass the QC with the best marks are earmarked for the JP market. They don't intentionally make them better, they just choose the ones that do the best in QC tests.

This is similar to computer chips, many computer chips are made in the same factory but they don't try to make them to different specs. Once they are manufactured they are tested for speed. Then labeled appropriately depending on that test.

16. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

i think its highly probable that what druss said is correct. meaning JP coded Yonex is likely better. Having said that, never tried any JP before and i cant notice any different between IP, SP, TH, TW, US, and AS

17. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    On the ball.

Usually the JP, CD, US racquets that I've tried are slightly heavier than the SP counterparts. They all play great but I have noticed SP racquets are more fragile. I broke 4 SP racquets in the time I break one CD racquet. I string at 23lbs as well so should not really be a problem.

18. joeyf

joeyf Regular Member

Singles/Doubles Player
    Well yeah lots of balanced opinions on this :p. I'm currently in the UK and to buy a UK version of the Arcsaber 10, it would cost a typical price of £135.99. Whereas a SP version would just cost under £110. Don't know if £26 is worth the difference but the UK ones come with a guarantee and is ment to be better but IDK.

19. bad_fanatic

bad_fanatic Regular Member

Day dream about being a Pro Badminton Player
    It really depends on you luck. I really believe in what Druss said in his post. Yonex probably makes the rackets in batches. They probably sample a few from the batch, and the one with the highest quality are probably going to be designated as JP code. After that it filters down to IP, SP, CH, TW, US, CD, etc... I've purchased AT700 with SP code which have the same weight, durability, and BP as the JP. Vice versa, I've got JP racket that are similar to the SP code.

So if you're going to the shop to get the racket, try sampling a few. You can actually feel the weight difference even within the same U.

The reason why I prefer the Asian Code like JP, and SP, is because I like the G5 grip size. For me, the smaller grips allow me to rotate the racket better.

The durability and quality difference between the codes doesn't vary by much. I would say that it's probably less then 10%, but most important is that it's not going to affect the game, as the specs of the rackets does not change from one code to the other.

20. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    It also depends on the size of your hand as well and that would be a idea grip size which best suits the player's hand.

Going for a smaller grip than one they should be using would feel the the advantages of being able to rotate the racket faster at the expense to using more energy to generate torque comparing the larger size which can use less energy to generate the same torque. Getting the power down can also be issue because the racket's instability upon impact for the same reason.

Also, the swing weight feeling is different between grip sizes as well.

I personally used to use G5 until I gradually reazlied I should be using G4.

#20 Matt, Feb 11, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2010