Question about racket and blocking

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by marmoset, Feb 10, 2010.

1. marmoset

marmoset Regular Member

I'm in the market for a new racket and i have a quick question. When blocking, what features of the racket/string would allow the shuttle to bounce further off the racket? Would it be flexibility/stiffness of the shaft, tension/type of string or a combination of both?

Thanks

2. druss

druss Regular Member

If you're just blocking the shuttle back then the racket will have little to do with it, it's all string and tension. But that's such a small part of the game I would not choose racket, string or tension with blocking as the primary consideration.

3. marmoset

marmoset Regular Member

Thanks for the reply. I was just trying to rule out the racket being some sort of factor in blocking. Now that i know that this is down to tension and strings, it makes the choice of racket less restrictive.

So low tension strings with high repulsion such as BG80, would the shuttle fly further from a block?

4. druss

druss Regular Member

To be honest, I've never really considered it. The tension will have an affect of course but the speed with which the shuttle hits your racket will matter more.

Yes, if the racket is not moving then the shuttle would fly further with lower tensions. I personally would not recommend anything lower than 22 lbs though.

5. marmoset

marmoset Regular Member

Thanks. My last restring on an MP99 was 24lbs with BG80 and i didn't have any issues with blocking. That racket has all but broken now and i'm using an old Prince racket with factory strings of unknown tension. When i block with the Prince, the shuttle doesn't seem to travel as far as i expect and it catches me out every now and then.

#5 marmoset, Feb 10, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  6. druss

druss Regular Member

If the tension is too low then you won't get the bounce you need either. Factory strings tend to be under 20 lbs and will loosen over time. I'd be surprised if it's over 18 lbs now.

Think of a trampoline, too tight and there is no elasticity, too loose and it just sags when you jump on it.

7. marmoset

marmoset Regular Member

Ah i understand. I never knew that, thanks :)

8. milford30

milford30 Regular Member

you would probably want a more even balanced racket... head heavy rackets seems to be harder to do that small angle swing that provides the block-clear...