User Tag List

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uhm, to interject onto the original topic, I restrung my Zelm PP10K today with Gosen Bio Roots Aermet (love this wonky string btw) at 23 pounds with the extra cross. It's previous stringing was the same string/tension with same amt of crosses. Here's what I found.

Power generation was identical. Same power required to send the birdie just as far on clears and smashes.

Finesse shots were quite a different story. It was some of the best feel i've had in a while, and that increased feel really let me direct lifts, drops, and net tumbles exactly where I wanted and how I wanted.

So right now, I'd so do it all the time. But I'm gonna keep testing with a few other
    racquets before I make any conclusive decisions. Also, this +1 extra cross deal seems like it would work out best with 1 piece bottom up. I also don't know what the long terms ramifications of an extra cross, but I can certainly see it eating my racket grommet more than the rest. God help my PP10K. Would definitely not recommend for fragile rackets.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would advise that you avoid stores that use the awl for stringing. Awls have been the main culprit for damaged or torn grommets and they have also been responsible for micro cracks on the frame.
    Generally, grommets should last almost indefinitely. So if you find your grommets are being damaged the reason is almost due to the use of the awl.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taneepak View Post
    I would advise that you avoid stores that use the awl for stringing. Awls have been the main culprit for damaged or torn grommets and they have also been responsible for micro cracks on the frame.*

Generally, grommets should last almost indefinitely.**

So if you find your grommets are being damaged the reason is almost due to the use of the awl.***
    *awl is just a tool, how it is applied and by whom determine result quality.

** i don't buy that at all unless your past stringing jobs are all ultra low tension

*** a poor stringer can still damage grommets without using any awl.

we are all still waiting for your example or proof relating to kklam's question.
    Last edited by cooler; 02-12-2010 at 11:04 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cooler View Post
    *awl is just a tool, how it is applied and by whom determine result quality.

** i don't buy that at all unless your past stringing jobs are all ultra low tension

*** a poor stringer can still damage grommets without using any awl.

we are all still waiting for your example or proof relating to kklam's question.
    The awl used to be a stringing tool for badminton. But the days of this ancient and redundant tool should have been consigned to history. Today, the presence and the use of an awl in a badminton stringing machine set-up is a tell-tale sign of lack of professionalism and irresponsibility.
    kklam's question is childish, frivolous, and irrelevant and answering it would place me in the same shade/colour. Look, at high tensions the use of the awl to poke into a grommet to hold that highly tensioned string is suicidal. In fact there is a better and safer way to achieve the same thing which does not use the awl. If you want to know pls pm me.
    The very highly tensioned string with the awl jamming into a hole-the tighter the jamming the less tension lost, hence a lose-lose situation-will creat heat and will damage the grommet and stress the frame athe the grommet site.
    What a silly question asking me about the degrees of heat, etc. It is like seeing the forest for the trees.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FYI, many years ago I used to insert the awl on the last tensioned cross string, albeit at much low tension. I then replaced it with another method that essentially did the same thing without using the awl. Now, I don't even use this method at all, as I find that stringing the crosses from top down does not require a really taut last cross string at the bottom. However, stringing the crosses bottom up, it is still necessary to ensure a taut last cross string at the top.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a silly question asking me about the degrees of heat, etc. It is like seeing the forest for the trees.
    let me remind u that it was you who claimed that inserting awl into a grommet to hold a tensioned string create frictional heat damage to the string. It was me telling u stop bumping into the trees.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by silentheart View Post
    1) You are right that it is easier to have tighter top cross by starting from top down. However, what is the purpose? It is to decrease displacement of the mains on the top during the impact in case of miss hit during a clear or smash. That was the original reason when we were using oval 20 year ago. If you look at the MP line or some of the newer racquet, the top cross is much closer to the top frame now. So the need to have tight top cross is not as obvious. For throat up, it give a little tighter feeling on the upper string bed which most of player prefer to have the better control feeling. Also it is easier to the frame even if the stringer screw up.
    2) The major top string tension loss during the tie off is after you clamp the final top, the small piece of string fron the clamp to tie off knot is untensioned (I hope you know that already). To min that tension loss, you can a) top down so the tension loss is on the throat end. b) Tension the string through tie off grommet. Stick a awl in to stop the string from slipping out. Release tension head and tie off. I know you feel awl should not be used in any situation. However, this is necessary evil. Give it a try, it does work.

For Blitzzards' original question, Master Cooler is right. However, I just want to add 1 more point. You can not add additional string on B8 using 2 pieces method without become creative on the tie off because on the new YY racquet, B7 is a single pass grommet. If you tie off on the B7, it will damage the grommet or may be the racquet.
    To add the cross on 8 you must preweave 3 crosses before you put in your last main if you are doing the out and in main pattern (9main to 11 main back to 10 main). having your crosses in enables you to tie your main at 9 and if you tried to do your cross after you tied your main, then you would have your knot block the hole making it sometimes very difficult.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Look, a strung badminton racquet will always have one half of the stringbed tighter than the other half. This is due to one half using a real or pseudo starting knot to start off the cross stringing and the other half using a tie-off to finish its last cross string. One side is being pulled (always tighter), the other side being tied off (loses tension).
    It is better to have the top half of the stringbed tighter for improved playability. The bottom half of the stringbed has less power.
    If you have a good machine, and tie a good knot, tension loss is minimal.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would advise that you avoid stores that use the awl for stringing. Awls have been the main culprit for damaged or torn grommets and they have also been responsible for micro cracks on the frame.
    Generally, grommets should last almost indefinitely. So if you find your grommets are being damaged the reason is almost due to the use of the awl.
    I string a few rackets here and there and have noticed most of the grommets I replace are due to the string friction, or knots. I would have to disagree your awl theory.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Distanc3 View Post
    armortec is not that durable especially in the lower main area as you've mentioned. forcing open B8 (sharing M and C strings) will only facilitate more sinking of the grommets and lead to the death of your racket =(

Solution. Instead you can put small peices of credit/gift cards under and between grommets it'll prevent sinking
    I found badminton string protector pads from mybadmintonstore.com and they work well. come in different colors too.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cooler View Post
    a less stressed frame setup worth alot more to non-sponsored players. Having a tight/stiff stringbed on the top half can be achieved even if starting from the bottom.
    I hate to agree with cooler but TRUE. If you tie a good knot you would have minimal tension loss.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...ad.php?t=62423

Quote Originally Posted by kakinami View Post
    I found badminton string protector pads from mybadmintonstore.com and they work well. come in different colors too.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But it will not be as good as stringing from the top with a true starting knot. Starting the cross from the bottom will mean you end the cross at the top with a knot that is not a starting knot, because using a starting knot as a tie-off for the last cross at the top is even worse.
    Perhaps you can explain how it can be done.
    If you tie a good knot you would have minimal tension loss. I dont hear Taufik or Tony complain about that string pattern(bottom up).

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kakinami View Post
    To add the cross on 8 you must preweave 3 crosses before you put in your last main if you are doing the out and in main pattern (9main to 11 main back to 10 main). having your crosses in enables you to tie your main at 9 and if you tried to do your cross after you tied your main, then you would have your knot block the hole making it sometimes very difficult.
    I think you miss my point. Most of newer YY with 21 cross pattern. The B9 is a single pass grommet. If you are using 2 piece method, I am advising not to string through B8 and tie off on B9. Because you will damage B9 grommet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Two-in-one concept is good!

Quote Originally Posted by silentheart View Post
    I think you miss my point. Most of newer YY with 21 cross pattern. The B9 is a single pass grommet. If you are using 2 piece method, I am advising not to string through B8 and tie off on B9. Because you will damage B9 grommet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete LSD View Post
    Two-in-one concept is good!
    u r too exotic or is it erotic for us

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It would seem that everyone is attuned to an engaging topic, then it becomes cerebral (neurotic at times, for a lack of better word or intentional lack of a better word, ah well, perhaps guys are just passionate about their craft) and then it always comes off-topic, or erroneous, or erogenous?

...so which kind of stringbed (metaphorically) are we talking? Top bottom, throat up? Why high tension? Isn't it about relieving tension?

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast