User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Weird Feel, No Sweet Spot...Advices Needed

Hi guys,

Am still a newbie when it comes to stringing. I just started stringing another 2 rackets with my Pro's Pro Shuttle Express recently and to my dismay, at 26 lbs, the feel of the rackets seem pretty weird.

When I tried to smash with them, it seems to me that I couldn't seem to find their sweet spots and the feel was like rackets strung at 18 lbs at best.

Could I have done something wrong when I tied the knots or could the tensioner be the problem?

Your feedbacks are very much appreciated!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

next time you string, calibrate your machine, prestretch your strings, double pull your strings, get extra flying clamps and try these knots if you have not already

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBMEP...eature=channel
    i usually use 3 or 4 loops

or sometimes this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UT1cX...eature=channel

and lastly i use these for the rest

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWx3i...eature=channel

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

what tension do you use for main/cross?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi John, thanks for the tips. What do you mean by "double pull the strings"?

Hi Kwun, 26 x 28 lbs.

Thanks!

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

i usually do main==cross. so try 26x26 or 27x27 and see how it feels. i have a shuttle express as well.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ghooga View Post
    Hi John, thanks for the tips. What do you mean by "double pull the strings"?

Hi Kwun, 26 x 28 lbs.

Thanks!
    There are two meanings for "Double Pull" and they are not the same.

One technique, is when you pull two strings at one time or pull two rows at one time. Very common on some racquetball rackets on the mains.

The Second is pulling a single string twice to tighten crosses. Basically you pull tension, but don't clamp, and pull tension again then clamp. This will result in a tigher stringbed. Also this technique is will give similar results to the pre-stretch function on Elec. CP machines.

Never use the first technique on Crosses, it may deform the frame.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Kwun, thanks for tip. Yeah, I know you have a shuttle express that's pretty similar to mine. I have thought about contacting you directly actually but in the end decided to post my question here to the public.

I thought maybe I have lost some tension when I started the mains and when I tied the knots. That's why I started and ended my string job with high tensions.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ghooga View Post
    Hi Kwun, thanks for tip. Yeah, I know you have a shuttle express that's pretty similar to mine. I have thought about contacting you directly actually but in the end decided to post my question here to the public.

I thought maybe I have lost some tension when I started the mains and when I tied the knots. That's why I started and ended my string job with high tensions.
    i suggest go simple first. just string everything same tension. don't vary the tension. do 26x26. make sure you wind the crank in the same slowish speed. try the result and see what you get. i think u might be surprised.

i started with +1lbs/+2lbs in the beginning and eventually found that +0lbs is the best. it maybe something unique about the shuttle express.

i think it is always better to ask question in public as there are many other helpful experts around!

btw, what string are you using?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CovinaStringer View Post
    There are two meanings for "Double Pull" and they are not the same.

One technique, is when you pull two strings at one time or pull two rows at one time. Very common on some racquetball rackets on the mains.

The Second is pulling a single string twice to tighten crosses. Basically you pull tension, but don't clamp, and pull tension again then clamp. This will result in a tigher stringbed. Also this technique is will give similar results to the pre-stretch function on Elec. CP machines.

Never use the first technique on Crosses, it may deform the frame.
    Hi, thanks for these two helpful tips. I've never attempted both techniques before but I'll definitely give them a try.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kwun View Post
    i suggest go simple first. just string everything same tension. don't vary the tension. do 26x26. make sure you wind the crank in the same slowish speed. try the result and see what you get. i think u might be surprised.

i started with +1lbs/+2lbs in the beginning and eventually found that +0lbs is the best. it maybe something unique about the shuttle express.

i think it is always better to ask question in public as there are many other helpful experts around!

btw, what string are you using?
    Hi Kwun,

I didn't really think varying the tension will cause any big problem as my logic was that the tension will eventually spread out to the rest of the string bed. Maybe I'm wrong on this. My 26 x 28 definitely felt like 18 or 20 lbs.

I'll stick with staying with one tension this weekend and see how that goes.

I strung using ZyMax 67 and BG 66. What wasted strings now...sigh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ghooga i meant the 2nd technique CovinaStringer stated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

make sure you wind the crank in the same slowish speed.
    this is the best advice wind the crank consistantly.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it feels like 18lbs then your machine needs calibrating, just buy some cheap fishing scales and attach some string to them then pull. Then look at the reading the scales give you and compare it to the value you set your machine to. I calibrate at 30lbs, so that 30lbs is 30lbs. Usually this causes lower tensions (around 18-20lbs) to be slightly inaccurate but I don't mind as I never string that low for anyone and if I did I don't think they would be so worried about a slight difference in tension.

So I think the mis-calibration is the main problem. Any racket strung at 18lbs feels completely lifeless if you are used to 26X28lbs.

You could also try tightening the last main and last cross by slightly more tension, this will minimise tension loss when tying a knot, but this wouldn't cause the tension difference you have experienced.

When I first got my stringing machine (Pro's Pro pilot) it was very badly calibrated for badminton, 20lbs was equivalent to 28lbs... So the first racket I ever strung was at a not entirely recommended (for a complete beginner) 28lbs... I was surprised the beginner Yonex racket I used took the tension and played very well with it!

Hope you sort your problem out soon.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

if you have any way to measure the frequency of the stringbed when you ping it, then i can give you an approximate idea how tight your string actually is. i usually use a iphone app to do that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sevex View Post
    If it feels like 18lbs then your machine needs calibrating, just buy some cheap fishing scales and attach some string to them then pull. Then look at the reading the scales give you and compare it to the value you set your machine to. I calibrate at 30lbs, so that 30lbs is 30lbs. Usually this causes lower tensions (around 18-20lbs) to be slightly inaccurate but I don't mind as I never string that low for anyone and if I did I don't think they would be so worried about a slight difference in tension.

So I think the mis-calibration is the main problem. Any racket strung at 18lbs feels completely lifeless if you are used to 26X28lbs.

You could also try tightening the last main and last cross by slightly more tension, this will minimise tension loss when tying a knot, but this wouldn't cause the tension difference you have experienced.

When I first got my stringing machine (Pro's Pro pilot) it was very badly calibrated for badminton, 20lbs was equivalent to 28lbs... So the first racket I ever strung was at a not entirely recommended (for a complete beginner) 28lbs... I was surprised the beginner Yonex racket I used took the tension and played very well with it!

Hope you sort your problem out soon.
    Hi Sevex,

I think you get what you paid for. Pro's Pro is good for beginners but I wouldn't recommend it to my friends. I will try to calibrate it this weekend. Before that, will need to search on how to calibrate it.

Thanks for the feedback!

Cheers~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kwun View Post
    if you have any way to measure the frequency of the stringbed when you ping it, then i can give you an approximate idea how tight your string actually is. i usually use a iphone app to do that.
    Wow Kwun...this is news to me! What iPhone app is that?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last edited by CovinaStringer; 02-10-2011 at 12:09 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast