Not Performing Enough Drop Shots

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by BrioCloud, Feb 12, 2010.

1. BrioCloud

BrioCloud Regular Member

UC Davis Student
    Hi. I am an intermediate singles player and have found that I do not perform enough overhead drops especially the fast drop or a half smash. I always tend to try to weaken my opponent by attack clearing or clearing to backhand, but every once in awhile, I find that I'm not dropping at all, and my opponent reads my clears and smashes it quickly. I have notice I do this very often. Is there some sort of reason why I may be clearing too much? Or is it a habit?

Also, in what situations do different types of drop shot become more effective? Slow, fast, angled cross-court drops? Thank you.

2. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

My guess is that it's a habit. It's easy to get stuck in a pattern of play, especially if you are more confident with your habitual shots (clears) than with the alternative (drops).

As for choosing among drops shots, try this: drop shot tactics for singles.

#2 Gollum, Feb 12, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  3. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    sometimes i find that it's actually okay to be stuck in a pattern, as long as it's getting you points. But soon your opponent will adapt and try to break it....that's where you have to adjust your pattern of play as well...

I would also add that it might be your confidence level on dropshots that's playing a part. You need to be proficient in executing it well in a real match...so that is where your practice comes in.

4. visor

visor Regular Member

Yes, I find myself in that situation often too. Especially when adrenaline and aggression is flowing thru the mind and body during a tight game, it is very difficult to remember to slow the pace down with a dropshot or a half smash.

Comes down to practice, I suppose.