Stringing Yonex BG65 and maintaining tension

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Blitzzards, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

To the fellow knowledgeable stringers, from my experience with BG65 I can tell that the string is one which hardly holds any tension (without prestretch) for any time longer than a week or so with regular play because of its thickness and thus tendency to stretch.

I believe the idea of using BG65 IMHO is to have a string which is durable and can withstand a lot of hard hits and smashes while the string maintains its fresh properties since stringing. But due to the stretchiness of the string, after a few hard hits and smashes within the week, BG65 will most likely have lost at least 1lb or more even with prestretch (in my case, which I can guess that with the pros who hit and smash even harder will face even more tension drop).

From there on I have discovered that to use BG65 "properly" one will have to prestretch it to a higher ratio of about 10 to 15% depending on strength of hitting in order for it to maintain tension for at least sometime. But what I wonder now is that, for the pros (previously the Chinese National team players) who use BG65, I understand that for convenience purposes, the stringers during the tournaments will always eschew the flashy techniques such as prestretching.

So if for example the pro ask for a tension of 30lbs, and the stringer gives him his racquet strung with the usual Yonex pattern without prestretch (or additional crosses on the string bed), and he plays with the racquet and hits hard for sometime during warmup. How much tension is actually left in the BG65 on the racquet at this point, when he starts actually using it during the match? I understand that the pros will normally have their racquets restrung before the end of the day (provided that they don't get KO'd till the finals of course) so things can be kept consistent, but IIRC I heard that BG65 when strung fresh and hit a few times with will immediately stretch and the tension drop to about 2lbs lower. So what is the actual tension that the BG65 is in reality utilised at, starting at the stringing tension of 30lbs? :D

2. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    Well I'm no tournament stringer, but if you consider that most players prefer their tension being lock-out tension rather than constant pull, you can already say that the "real" tension is probably only around 27lbs (if they string it 30lbs), and then since they hit a lot harder than us mere mortals, I suppose the string can be brought down to 23-25 lbs even during warm-up.