Calling All Students!!

Discussion in 'UK' started by andymcg, Dec 11, 2002.

1. andymcg

andymcg Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I am part of a team organising an international student badminton tournament, in Newcastle, England in April 2003. We ran our first tournament in April 2002 and over 100 students from all across Europe attended. Next year we would love it if we had students from all across the world attending!

The tournament is played over 3 days and uses a swiss ladder system to ensure everyone gets lots of games. There will be 4 categories of play, ranging from D (beginners) to A (international and top regional players).

The tournament will run from 23rd April (arrival in afternoon/evening) - 27th April (departure of players). The entry fee is 45GBP, and this provides play, accommodation, entertainment and food for the duration of the tournament, although you do have to bring your own shuttles.

Visit our website for more information, and if you are interested have a look at the pictures from the 2002 event:

www.isbt.org.uk

Entries will be allocated on a first come first served basis, so get your entries in soon if you are interested!

2. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    Wow. I want to join it! lol, but I'm way too young. :D :D

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    and way too far away ...:rolleyes:

4. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    Yep. Too bad. lol, GIve me the money!:D

5. andrew_cherry

andrew_cherry Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Yeah i'm going to try and get there, but it's tricky - i'm a student in Durham, but it's always during the holidays, and i'm not usually around then... Wanted to go to the last one in Newcastle, but was in Russia.

I went to the trial one in Durham that you initially had though! That was good fun, even if it was split into only two categories, and my uni put me in the lower one, so most of my games weren't exactly tough. Ah well.

I shall try! Are you at Newcastle by the way?

6. andymcg

andymcg Regular Member

Software Engineer
    The trial tournament will be run on Saturday March 1st this year. I think it is going to be in Durham again. There will be an announcement made at your club I'm sure. Depending on the entries again, there may be more than 2 categories this year.

I'm not at Newcastle Uni as I am actually no longer a student (still pretending though ;) ) I work in Newcastle now and I'm helping out on the committee of the tournament again this year. I do know quite a lot of the Durham people as I went to Holland over New Year with some of them and I've played/trained with Ewen Clark a bit.

7. andrew_cherry

andrew_cherry Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Oh great - glad to hear there will be another trial tournament - the last one was quite fun - as long as I can go one better than last year! Might play in the XD rather than the singles this year - makes a change. March would be pretty good actually - pretty certain I can make that - even if it was in Newcastle i'd wander over.

Ewen I know certainly yeah - just been playing in a match with him this afternoon. Time to start working on shaking off this elbow injury then...