User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb Lifespan of a racket?

i know this may vary from person to person, brand to brand, model to model, but im curious how long rackets last for you guys!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

i have an iso800 and an iso600 bought back in the late 90s and it still hasn't dissolved into ashes yet. but i'm sure the dryness here in the US will make the rackets a bit more brittle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dyrtla View Post
    i know this may vary from person to person, brand to brand, model to model, but im curious how long rackets last for you guys!
    that's really depends... if you're the John McEnroe of baddy ( real baddie ) , then it'll only last , say 1 hr ?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-maker View Post
    that's really depends... if you're the John McEnroe of baddy ( real baddie ) , then it'll only last , say 1 hr ?
    On the other hand, I've seen Cab8 still in a very good as new condition.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've cracked seven rackets since 1983. One was a clash, the rest due to bad quality (cracked within months of purcahase) or bad stringing job. I did go McEnroe on a cab 8 once, but it held up . I've still got a few rackets from way back and they are still good. If the material has changed I can't say. To be honest, I'm more brittle than my rackets

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maxp74 View Post
    I've cracked seven rackets since 1983. One was a clash, the rest due to bad quality (cracked within months of purcahase) or bad stringing job. I did go McEnroe on a cab 8 once, but it held up . I've still got a few rackets from way back and they are still good. If the material has changed I can't say. To be honest, I'm more brittle than my rackets
    wow, i feel sorry for you. I wonder which rackets u broke within months of purchase. mustve been a less durable racket... or maybe u went to high on the string tension?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dyrtla View Post
    wow, i feel sorry for you. I wonder which rackets u broke within months of purchase. mustve been a less durable racket... or maybe u went to high on the string tension?
    It was a looooong time ago but I belive Yonex iso 150 broke really fast (real junk to be honest), and ofcourse the wonderfull aerotus 65. It was soooo brittle i them in double casing while traveling.

I have never liked really high tension and mostly played singles. Thats why I havn't broken more rackets in all those years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a very old racket (must be in 80's or early 90's). The brand is YASAKI.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

haha i still got a broken Cab 8 in the 80's to 90's it was owned by my dad.Rackets basically last for a long time if there is no frequent clash.Mine broke while clashing onto a MP99.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guess it also depends on the model and where it's made...Japan, Taiwan or China. Guess the Japanese-made racquets are the high end and usually last the longer because of the quality. For the typical racquet, the common places for any defects, and wear and tear are;
    * the loosening and cracking of where the shaft meets the cone
    * factory string and tension
    * grips
    * grommets
    * paint

I'm sure there are more that can be added.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You forgot the most common type of wear and tear in racquets, material fatigue. In carbon fibre racquets every time you play a stroke micro delamination occurs between the carbon fibre and the resin, this is why they now use nano particles to help reduce boundary voids which are the prime points for micro delamination. After a while (depending on how much you play) the racquet will become softer and change. You probably won't notice this unless you switch between two racquets of the same type - one used and one unused.
    Theoretically the micro delamination will, in time, cause catasrophic failure. However I'm sure we all change our racquets far to often for that to happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

guy you have got to get out more