User Tag List

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A sad story

We have been playing at Agincourt for quite sometime now. In fact, we are fond of this place and would always recommend it to anyone that we know until recently.

Followings are just some observation or experiences we encountered:
    - like many previous posting, the lighting is poor because they are strategically situated 3/4 of the court on the ceilings. If your opponent is playing Clear to your baseline, you will find the lighting to be a nuisance.

- the owner increased the court rental fee when it comes to Ontario Harmonized Sales Tax on July 1st (i.e. the GST 5% is merged with PST 8% to become one single administered federal HST 13% tax). That said, we have never received any receipts when we paid our fees. If you charge full tax to your customers, shouldn't you give the receipts out? Sad....

- due to the Winter season and also higher utility costs, the owner increased the fees again. So the cost is now passed on to the players. This is a common business practice, you either take it or leave it.
    My question is, would the fees be lowered in Summer when the heat is not needed? Please bear in mind, there is no A/C at this location. Sad....

- in the Fall when we complained it's cold on the courts, not only were they slow to turn on their heat but their windows were actually opened. So we asked them to shut the windows. Their response was "Which windows?". Sad.....
    ~ the fees was increased becuase of higher utilities, will they refund the money when they ought to turn on their heat but didn't? Maybe not.

- this is my all time favourite. You can play there as a guest drop-in or renting a court, we normally do the latter. After you pay the appropriate fees, you will be assigned a court #. Not once but twice, we have been 'asked' to leave the court prematurely. Why? Because the place was overbooked. Of course, we can always say "No" to his request. If you think carefully, why us, why are we being chosen, why penalize someone who wasn't responsible for the mess they did with schedule booking? Sad....

We can't say everything is perfect and in life we always give and take amongst each other. If we are happy, we will continue to come back with repeated business. Since we started playing there on a regular once a week basis, we have never failed to show up. If you can't even retain your regular customer over the long run, then this will be a sad case.

Thanks for reading.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by mb111 View Post
    A sad story

We have been playing at Agincourt for quite sometime now. In fact, we are fond of this place and would always recommend it to anyone that we know until recently.

Followings are just some observation or experiences we encountered:
    - like many previous posting, the lighting is poor because they are strategically situated 3/4 of the court on the ceilings. If your opponent is playing Clear to your baseline, you will find the lighting to be a nuisance.

- the owner increased the court rental fee when it comes to Ontario Harmonized Sales Tax on July 1st (i.e. the GST 5% is merged with PST 8% to become one single administered federal HST 13% tax). That said, we have never received any receipts when we paid our fees. If you charge full tax to your customers, shouldn't you give the receipts out? Sad....

- due to the Winter season and also higher utility costs, the owner increased the fees again. So the cost is now passed on to the players. This is a common business practice, you either take it or leave it.
    My question is, would the fees be lowered in Summer when the heat is not needed? Please bear in mind, there is no A/C at this location. Sad....

- in the Fall when we complained it's cold on the courts, not only were they slow to turn on their heat but their windows were actually opened. So we asked them to shut the windows. Their response was "Which windows?". Sad.....
    ~ the fees was increased becuase of higher utilities, will they refund the money when they ought to turn on their heat but didn't? Maybe not.

- this is my all time favourite. You can play there as a guest drop-in or renting a court, we normally do the latter. After you pay the appropriate fees, you will be assigned a court #. Not once but twice, we have been 'asked' to leave the court prematurely. Why? Because the place was overbooked. Of course, we can always say "No" to his request. If you think carefully, why us, why are we being chosen, why penalize someone who wasn't responsible for the mess they did with schedule booking? Sad....

We can't say everything is perfect and in life we always give and take amongst each other. If we are happy, we will continue to come back with repeated business. Since we started playing there on a regular once a week basis, we have never failed to show up. If you can't even retain your regular customer over the long run, then this will be a sad case.

Thanks for reading.
    Me too have encountered the same problem like this OP. Me and my friends play there every single weekend for the past 8 months without a single time absent, most of the time there we rented the court for 2 to 3 hours, during the past 8 months or so, they have increased the rental fee 3 times from $22 to $25 when hst kicked in, then $26 2 weeks ago because of winter heating then $28 because winter heating again. Does this make any sense? may be by mid winter season we should see it reach to $30. fyi the amount is based on 2 hours court rental. I think we were treated very unfairly, we supporting his business and recommended many people to play there. he should consider giving us little discount instead of increasing it. I am not asking for a big discount or anything, atleast not rising the fee like that. Mind you, all these fee increasing happened without any advance notice, no announcement, no posting, just pure surprise. Recently there is a bit more people are playing there, we too were asked if we can leave early so other people can rent the court, because I we have fewer people playing on the court. we paid the same amount of money with other people paid. we are not special or not too welcome there because we have fewer people on the court? if he charge by person then I totally understand he point. I am totally confused and I don't very understand what is the reason behind he doing that. That's all for now and please to all the OP here if you have any problem or issued please post your story. Thx

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

drop-in still at $7. what does that tell ya?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by blindfury View Post
    drop-in still at $7. what does that tell ya?
    What is you point? he can't touch the drop in or else no one will come there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by magicwrist View Post
    Me too have encountered the same problem like this OP. Me and my friends play there every single weekend for the past 8 months without a single time absent, ........ please to all the OP here if you have any problem or issued please post your story. Thx
    Yes, your experience is very much similar to ours. Can't say I was totally surprised. If it happened to us, it could easily happen to other players. It's very unfortunate they don't know how to keep their customers satisfied. Mind you, some are luckier than us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is you point? he can't touch the drop in or else no one will come there.
    I agree with magicwrist. Drop-in is always attractive and economical for many players, including us.

However, we like the choice of renting the court and play with the company we have. Surely, this is not a wrong thing to do for group fun and exercise. Comes to think of it, this is how the owner started the idea by booking school gym and eventually forming Agincourt (quoted from Chinese TV interview). During this process, we are sure the owner must have gone through a lot of pain, hardship and frustration to get this place established.

So why stop there? Isn't the whole purpose of Agincourt is for us / public to play badminton and enjoy ourselves?
    Once you have taken out fun from this equation, then we question their good business sense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mb111 View Post
    I agree with magicwrist. Drop-in is always attractive and economical for many players, including us.

However, we like the choice of renting the court and play with the company we have. Surely, this is not a wrong thing to do for group fun and exercise. Comes to think of it, this is how the owner started the idea by booking school gym and eventually forming Agincourt (quoted from Chinese TV interview). During this process, we are sure the owner must have gone through a lot of pain, hardship and frustration to get this place established.

So why stop there? Isn't the whole purpose of Agincourt is for us / public to play badminton and enjoy ourselves?
    Once you have taken out fun from this equation, then we question their good business sense.
    I agree, however I must interject that while it's great to have those facilities as I've been there, the fun disappears when you realize that some of the court aspects are not up to par. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the relative cost factor versus other places, but I think he could do more with less courts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopsiclePete View Post
    I agree, however I must interject that while it's great to have those facilities as I've been there, the fun disappears when you realize that some of the court aspects are not up to par. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the relative cost factor versus other places, but I think he could do more with less courts.
    I think he not very good running this type of business. he should look for something with little investment with big and fast return profit. you can't keep rising the fee like that and expect to have customs to return. I for sure not going back there as well as many other people I have know. if he kept doing that, pretty soon you going to see less people going there. I know this doesn't affect drop in member much, but if you rent the court like us, I am sure you will have difference tone. he starting to implement membership fee for certain group and pretty sure it won't be long the drop in member will be singing the same tone. He need to get his act together and reconsider his business model and start treating people fairly and respect every customers walking into that court.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think he not very good running this type of business. he should look for something with little investment with big and fast return profit. you can't keep rising the fee like that and expect to have customs to return. I for sure not going back there as well as many other people I have know. if he kept doing that, pretty soon you going to see less people going there. I know this doesn't affect drop in member much, but if you rent the court like us, I am sure you will have difference tone. he starting to implement membership fee for certain group and pretty sure it won't be long the drop in member will be singing the same tone. He need to get his act together and reconsider his business model and start treating people fairly and respect every customers walking into that court.
    I'm not saying he's a bad businessman, I am merely saying that he's trying to cram too much into the space he's got. I recognize the more courts you have the more money you make, but you do so at the loss of customer satisfaction.

This industry, especially in Toronto is price sensitive to the point where if a better product is offered at lower cost, holding all variables constant, people will switch. Right now, he's got most of his clients from the price, but if he goes too high, his facilities don't necessarily match the cost for us.

I've spoken to him on a few occasion that I've been there and he does seem like a genuinely nice guy though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopsiclePete View Post
    I've spoken to him on a few occasion that I've been there and he does seem like a genuinely nice guy though
    don't get me wrong, his nice to talk to, but when it come to dollar and cent is a difference person.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I haven't been there, but from all that I've seen (pics etc) and heard, it sounds to me, it's all about getting away with as much as you can get away with...
    Which isn't necessarily a smart business practise. But what the heck, it often works. Not always, but often. For my money, I'd rather enjoy some elbow space and some essential facilities and attention to the infrastructure, like one would expect when one goes to any self-respecting rec centre. Makes the whole playing experience a happier one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

here little something to add. we usually booked the court in advance for every single weekend, one weekend he screwed up the booking and there no court for us to play that day and he have to cancel 1 of the booking and give it us, we were playing halfway through, he came over and asked if we can leave because he over book, we were nice enough and agreed to leave, but the fee already paid, he offered us some discount for the following week. when we came to play that following week, half way through, he came and asked if we can let some other people join the court, this time we were very pissed off by his action and we said no. How could you run a business like that? he worked in bank and he have mba degree and he should know better than that.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V:
    it sounds to me, it's all about getting away with as much as you can get away with...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

here little something to add. we usually booked the court in advance for every single weekend, one weekend he screwed up the booking and there no court for us to play that day and he have to cancel 1 of the booking and give it us, we were playing halfway through, he came over and asked if we can leave because he over book, we were nice enough and agreed to leave, but the fee already paid, he offered us some discount for the following week. when we came to play that following week, half way through, he came and asked if we can let some other people join the court, this time we were very pissed off by his action and we said no. How could you run a business like that? he worked in bank and he have mba degree and he should know better than that.
    Yes, we had that issue couple times. The last time it happened to us, we remembered very clearly that the owner wrote down our names at the allocated time and designated court #. Just like seeing your name inside a rectangular box. Definitely no mistake about it. Yet, he could screw up his booking schedule. Based from what I'm reading, this error (or errors) is not accidental.

Yes, we read that he has worked in the bank and holds an MBA. Evidently, he must be very good with business financial analytical work. Because of Agincourt, he left the bank to better concentrate his business. One of the basic fundamentals of running a successful business is to keep your customers happy. I don't think he realizes this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

don't get me wrong, his nice to talk to, but when it come to dollar and cent is a difference person.
    On the whole, he's nice and friendly to talk to. When it comes to $ topic, yes, you're bang on. He's very firm. On the other hand, the women who was there (presumably his wife) is more understanding and willing to please the customers more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

haven't been back for months... i'd rather ditch out the extra $3 and drop in at mandarin. it's warm, no fan, better lighting, better courts, better competition =)

though it does get busy...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GT0ro View Post
    haven't been back for months... i'd rather ditch out the extra $3 and drop in at mandarin. it's warm, no fan, better lighting, better courts, better competition =)

though it does get busy...
    Pending on individual preference, this may not be a bad idea. After all, it has better facilities that provides a more conducive play environment.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast