YY ISO 77VF or Victor Discovery IV?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by XVX, Dec 11, 2002.

1. XVX

XVX New Member

Hi, i am new to this board and i find this board very informative.

I would like to get some opinion from the forum members. Which racquet should i get, the Yonex Isometric 77VF or the Victor Discovery IV?

Do anyone currently use either one now? Can you give me some input?

I know that the Yonex is very popular among the badminton world but it doesnt mean they are always better.

Thanks for the help.

2. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

The yonex 77VF (formerly known as 76VF) is generally reguarded as a shitty racquet, suited mainly for begenners and early intermediates. The Victory Discovery IV is generally regarded as a great racquet. If they cost about the same, get the victor.

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

Wow... I like this one...

Now, u r very very very welcome to here. U r suddenly a lot close to us now. :D

4. lsgreydvm

lsgreydvm Regular Member

Veterinarian
    Yonex 77VF

Are you a boy or a girl? Young or old? If you are the type who is fond of smashing then the Yonex 77VF is definitely not for you. That racket, like the 87VF, does not have the built in T-joint which is supposed to function in stabilizing the racket head (refer to the Yonex racket chart in any racket stores). I used to have the YY87VF and sold it after 2 months because I definitely feel the head is very unstable. The guy who bought it is happy with it, though, using a fly swatter grip, he found the racket much to his liking. Well, to each his own!

5. XVX

XVX New Member

I am a guy in the early 20's and i like to smash a lot.

I thought the 77VF has a built-in T-joint. I did not get a chance to "feel" the racquet since i can only order it online and i can't seem to find it anywhere in Toronto.

I asked some of my friends and they have not tried Victor's racquet before (all yonex user).

I am the type of person that looks for value and performance more than just the brand name.

6. lsgreydvm

lsgreydvm Regular Member

Veterinarian
    YY77VF of VICTOR

Like I said, I used to own the YY87VF, a big brother of the YY77VF. These rackets are exactly alike except for the color. I did not like my racket (87) because it is a medium flex racket, unstable head and does not give a clear hitting sound (maybe because of the shockless grommets, which I read somewhere in a previous thread here. It is a good racket if your game is suited for the finess type (control drops etc), but will do you no good if you are a smasher since the flexibility, unstable head and shockless grommets will negate any effort you put into your smash. One good thing with Yonex is that they have a very wide range of rackets to choose from that will suit your game, and not all rackets will suit any individual, you will have to choose one that will suit your style.

7. bigredlemon

You should have mentioned you were in TO! Either sports Chek or Sports Mart is selling the 77VF for half price right now at around $50 CDN. I can hook you up with an extra 10% discount from either of those store (this month only.) If you are looking for a lower-end yonex, I think the Iso 60 MF might be better suited for you. It is in the same price range, and is getting pretty good reviews from Bcentral. If you are willing to spend a little more (~$100 CDN), you could get a yonex mp 100 clone (i.e. MuscleAce from HiQua). Don't forget about Black Knight; I like their racquets alot (from 700 series and up, not the lower ones.)

8. TOmike

TOmike Regular Member

Student
    yes, black knight is not bad for intermediates. Try the 2010, 2008 and 2006, those are not bad at all. of course its all about how much you are willing to shell out. those racquets are pretty decent and pretty light.. good control and smashing is not bad.
    whatever you do, don't buy Yonex 50MF.. no matter how cheap.. it makes my arm sore.

9. XVX

XVX New Member

well, i ended up buying Discovery IV since i feel it is better than the 77vf (i checked out the 76vf and i dont think it "feels" as good as the Divcovery IV.

If anyone is looking for a budget racquet, National sport is having a big sale on Black Knight's and Victor's racquet. Most of them are at least half of the regular retail price. I got the IV for 49.99.

10. bigredlemon

At the Nat Sports near where I live, that's been the "sale" price for the last 8 months :p Congrats on your choice though, I'm sure you'll love it. $50 is still a bargin for a raquet like that.

BTW, what color is your racquet? The one I saw there, a dark greenish one, felt weird to me for some reason. They felt different from the other victor racquets at other stores. Or maybe i'm thinking of the excalibour racquet... its 5am so i'm not thinking straight :rolleyes:

#10 bigredlemon, Dec 14, 2002
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2002
  11. XVX

XVX New Member

The Discovery IV is of Reddish orange and Black colour (picture below). I saw a Victor Mix power 03 (Built-in T joint graphite shaft, and aluminum frame) at Nat sport for only $17.99, a good price for a one piece racquet.

[​IMG]

12. bigredlemon

Very nice :) let us know how it plays. the review section for this racquet is small right now.
    its not the weird one i was talking about.
    the sale is "over" now right? Heard it ended on the 9th.