Conflicting 20-20 rule

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by Fore1, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Fore1

Fore1 New Member

I'm finding conflicting information on what happens at 20-20 (even here incidently). Some sites say:
    - If a score becomes 20-20, the side which scores 2 consecutive points shall win that game.

Other sites say:
    - The first player or pair to reach 21 points wins a game, but they must have a two-point margin over their opposition. If the score for a game reaches 20-20, then play continues until one side has the two-point advantage.

On first glance these might seem the same, but they are not. The first can be won with a 21-22 score, the second must have a 2 point gap. What is the rule??

And while I'm on, after some searching I still can't find what the rule is when the shuttle clips the top of the net on serve and continues its tradjectory. Thanks.

P.S. just returning from ligament replacement, first games in some 10 years. Knee is looking good and I bought a Yonex Armortec 50 to lift my game. Loving it!

2. AntoTH

AntoTH Regular Member

Student
    The second rule is written more correctly, so it's impossible to win with a 22 - 21 score :D

The first rule is right too but if the score reach, for example, 21 - 21, it should be replaced from "If a score becomes 21-21, the side which scores 2 consecutive points shall win that game." and so on

Besides, if the score reach 29 - 29, the sides which scores the 30th point shall win the game, so 30 is considered a score-limit :)

3. egibney

egibney Regular Member

Hey Fore1,

The scoring goes as follows. The first player to 21 wins, but they must win by two points. So here are the possible scores you can win with:

21-19
    22-20
    23-21
    24-22
    25-23
    26-24
    27-25
    28-26
    29-27
    30-28
    30-29

You'll notice that once you get to 30 that it can no longer go any higher, so the ultimate nail biter is 30-29. If you want more help with the rules you can check out this page

Badminton Rules

Hope that clarifies things for you :)

Emmet

4. alexh

alexh Regular Member

An interesting page. There are a couple of errors. On serving, they say "You cannot throw the shuttle into the air, you must drop it". I don't think that's in the official rules anywhere. And if you take an interval when the score reaches 11, I'm fairly sure the maximum time allowed is 60 seconds not 90 seconds. But it's nice to read about the history of the various scoring systems.

As for the shuttle touching the net during service (or indeed any other time), it doesn't make a difference to anything, you just keep playing.

5. Fore1

Fore1 New Member

Great, all cleared up now. Thanks all!!

6. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    First to 21 points wins, unless it's a deuce at 20-20. Then you must lead by two points to win, or the first one to 30 wins.

7. TheBear

TheBear Regular Member

This is what the Badminton England website publishes as the laws of the game - hope it helps.

7. SCORING SYSTEM​
    7.1 A match shall consist of the best of three games, unless otherwise arranged (Appendix 2 and 3).
    7.2 A game shall be won by the side which first scores 21 points, except as provided in Law 7.4
    and 7.5.
    7.3 The side winning a rally shall add a point to its score. A side shall win a rally, if the opposing
    side commits a ‘fault’ or the shuttle ceases to be in play because it touches the surface of the
    court inside the opponent’s court.
    7.4 If the score becomes 20-all, the side which gains a two point lead first, shall win that game.
    7.5 If the score becomes 29-all, the side scoring the 30th point shall win that game.​
    7.6 The side winning a game shall serve first in the next game.