Help please ! Mens doubles

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by staiger, Feb 20, 2010.

1. staiger

staiger Regular Member

Investment Banker
    Hi all,

I would like to ask ... Let say in MD I pushed my return of a short serve into the oppponent mid- court close to the tram line . should I stay forward for the next shot ? :)

Thanks in advance !

2. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If its a drive or push to mid court, move slightly to that side.
    Lets say you are on right hand court returning serve, he serves to you, you push it straight to his mid court (your right), stay slightly on that side facing the shuttle and racket up ready to attack any net replys.

Same goes if you once again on right hand side and return the serve by pushing it across the server cross court which I find is useful shot as the server is so close and a hard enough push will usually go right by him to your left hand side. Move over slightly to the left covering the straight net reply

Hope this helps

3. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    Ifs it going down, front & back

If its going up, sides

4. staiger

staiger Regular Member

Investment Banker
    Thanks alot phil , that did help me. what would happened if I was on the left hand side returning a serve ..into the mid-court again. but I know that my partner is slow and does not have a good-backhand ..then should I take a few step back for the next shot ?

5. TedTheFarmer

TedTheFarmer Regular Member

If you take a few steps back your opponents have an easy opportunity to play a winner just with a net reply. If you are aware that your opponents like to return any drives onto your partner's backhand then I would say to play your flat returns cross-court, that way if one of your opponents plays a straight drive or lift down the line your partner can cover it, and if they play it cross-court (unlikely) then your partner has enough time to move into a forehand shot on that side.

6. staiger

staiger Regular Member

Investment Banker
    Thanks Ted , why didnt I think of that !

7. paulstewart64

paulstewart64 Regular Member

Marketing Consultant
    Both good answers. Staiger, try these out and you'll find you intercept more returns and force your opponents to lift more often.

Remember, it's vital to dominate the net area. To do this, you need to make sure your opponents do not get the opportunity to hit a good shot into this area. This way, you're likely to be hitting down to them and forcing a lift.

Good question Staiger. Let us know how you get on next time you play.

To your success

Paul
    www.badminton-coach.co.uk

8. staiger

staiger Regular Member

Investment Banker
    Thanks ,

Got another dilemma here, Let say I am on the left side of the court , I smash straight down the line, opponent block with a net shot , I then come to the net to play a tight spinning net shot , forcing the opponent to lift into 3/4 court behind me .... Now, should I take the smash early while the opponent still recovering or should I leave it to my partner who was also prepared to hit a round-the head forehand smash, but he would be split second slower to the shuttle .

Thank you guys !

#8 staiger, Feb 21, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  9. paulstewart64

paulstewart64 Regular Member

Marketing Consultant
    Staiger

What system are you playing to smash from the back and expect to play a tight hairpin net shot from a block return?

Surely, the block return is covered by your partner leaving you to hit the next smash they lift.

Am I missing something.

Paul
    www.badminton-coach.co.uk

10. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

With regard to capitalizing on a mid-court push return-of-service, if the shuttle has gone below the level of the net you should most definitely get in their face ASAP, and slightly favour the side to which you hit it. The shuttle is below net level, so this only leaves a netter or a lift, and your very presence will increase the likelyhood that the opposition will do the latter.

This applies at pretty much all times: any time your opponents have to hit from below the level of the net, go to your attacking formation - by definition, they can't attack from under the net!

11. TedTheFarmer

TedTheFarmer Regular Member

Well Staiger in response to the "who should smash" issue, if you the opponent's net block was loose enough for you to play a decent net drop then your partner should have had enough time to move to the back to begin the attacking pattern. I generally only "steal" a smash from my partner when it is a half court lift, as soon as you find yourself moving more than one step back you should be leaving it to your partner to try for the winner. Whilst your partner plays the smash you should be ready to cover any following net blocks or be ready to intercept and kill any loose defensive shots near the net area.

12. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    I got a question. When i see staiger said he smashed down the line from left side, and his opponent make a drop for the return, shouldn't that be staiger's partner to take that drop?

But anyhow, I'm not sure how the position are, but I got my separate question.
    Something like staiger's situation.

First my opponent lift up the bird; let's say right side, which is my side, but not far behind enough, let's say just around middle of the court or about 1 or 2 feet infront of the double server out line.

So in this situation should my partner move up or just side by side.

13. Trmun

Trmun Regular Member

If he smashes down the side, it is very common to do a rotation, where the front partner rotates back and the smasher follows up as the opponent would have to be the offspring off superman and catwoman to return it cross-court.

And in that situation (just like every other situation where you have to move backwards to get to the bird) it should be your partner who should smash.

14. staiger

staiger Regular Member

Investment Banker
    This guy I am playing with at the moment is only at intermediate/advance level and he seem to have his own system --(which is staying at the back) .. during an attacking rally he like to switch to the back if he is at front which is annoying because I have no idea when he will do so until he take the step back (and honestly there is no need for the switching) .---- Our back court play is about the same , but I am a better front court player.----

It is a good thing that I only play with him at practice night because at match play I dont think we could play together. Everyone at the club seem to have their own system which I found confusing, I can see why it take so much time to build a perfect double partnership.

I asked because he told me off for stealing his shot when I thought I could have made that kill before the opponent recover, we still won the point ;) just need to clear it up because it is bugging me.

#14 staiger, Feb 21, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  15. kish-mah-ash

kish-mah-ash Regular Member

as someone alreayd posted,in men's doubles you have to control the net area. basically you want your opponents to lift the shuttle so you'll get a chance to pound those birdies down(vice versa with your opponents who want you to lift the shuttles for them). whichiever pair controls the net area, that pair will most liekely win.
    you also have to consider doing placement shots in doubles, espescially putting the shuttles in the tram/side araes(if your opponents play front and back).and putting the shuttle in teh middle,either thorugh drops or smashes,(if they play sides).

16. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Yes, you should stay in a forwards position to attack the net area, and biased towards the same side as you hit the shuttle.

However, you also need to think about your recovery after your serve return. If you made a very aggressive forwards movement, then you may be very close into the net and off balance. You have little time to recover, but try to hop back towards the service line area so you can intercept a drive down the tramlines.

In other words: stay forwards, but you don't want your nose on the net. ;) Back off towards the service line if possible, so that you can intercept drive and push returns.