About flat foot and badminton

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by Vodude, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Vodude

Vodude Regular Member

General Sales
    Guys,

When I start a Badminton (about 4-5 years ago) I always use Nike basketball or any nike shoes ( it has a good insole and very comfortable to use ).

Since a new rule from the court management that no non-badminton shoes allowed, they dont let me use Nike Basketball shoes so I start use Yonex, Fly power, etc etc.. At first I always complaint all badminton shoes as it hurts my foot because it has no foot arc area support, all badminton shoes are flat insole.

So Since a year ago I feel pain about front of my angkle until today. So a couple days ago I try ask doctor they say I have flat foot and I should stop badminton and moving to tenis.. Crap..

Any of you have flat foot and play badminton?
    Do any of you have flat feet and effeccting your activity?
    Dude what should I do?
    I think for sure I wont retire from badminton, i will keep playin 5 times a week and denied the doctor to the love of Badminton :p lol ...

2. Flexsis

Flexsis Regular Member

Student
    I have flat feet and I still play badminton with not custom insoles too xD, I just use the yonex ones, but I have insoles in my normal shoes tho. Tennis? o.o, isn't that running even more lol? But I know Flat Feet does have affect on your leg/knee/lowerback tho =/, but since I don't play that much, the affect on me isn't that big, maybe you can put insoles in?

3. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    I have flat foot and I currently use orthotics to play badminton which really helps.

Depending on how flat your foot is, that will determine if you need orthotics or not, but from what you mention, you probably do. My advise is that you see a podiatrist since a doctor is not specialized in in the foot.

4. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

I agree with Matt.
    "Flat foot" is over-diagnosed. :( Lots of people have a little excess pronation of the foot and it doesn't bother them at all.

Pains in the ankle can be due to other things. For example strained ankle ligaments from weak muscles or shoes that are too loose.

This last thing was my problem, although I didn't know it. I was wearing shoes that were just a little too big and my left foot was sliding forward and straining the ankle. Once I got better fitting shoes I tossed out the several insoles I had been trying in vain.

As Matt says, go see a pedorthist or perhaps a physiotherapist. The former may have a vested interest in selling you expensive inserts. The latter may give you useful exercises and techniques of wrapping.

Best of luck.:)

5. visor

visor Regular Member

@Vodude:

Here's what you should do.

Take out the Nike insole that provides good arch support for you, and replace the insoles in your Yonex badminton shoes with them. (You may have to snip some edges to make it fit perfectly.)

Voila! Good arch support in permissible badminton shoes!:D

6. Vodude

Vodude Regular Member

General Sales
    Thank you all.. thank you for your support

7. alexh

alexh Regular Member

A lot of doctors don't know much about sport. They will just take the safe option: if you stop playing badminton then you won't hurt your foot, it's true!

You can still play with flat feet, you just need to learn how to look after them. See if you can find a physiotherapist who is qualified in sports medicine, and ask them for advice. They will probably recommend some stretching exercises, and teach you how to keep your feet and ankles in good condition.

Wearing orthotics in your everyday shoes might help too. (Probably not in your badminton shoes, as it will throw you off balance too much. But if you make sure your feet aren't under stress the rest of the day, then badminton should be OK.) Ask your physio if they can recommend something suitable.

8. ryim_

ryim_ Regular Member

Capital Market Research
    I have flat feet but I think mine aren't too "flat" and I just have very tired feet (perhaps not from flat feet) and a little bit on aching around the arch area. I tried to play with custom insoles but it doesn't work. Also, if I wear my custom insoles right now I play, it gives me even more pain. I now don`t wear any custom stuff at all now.

9. Flexsis

Flexsis Regular Member

Student
    I agree, if I play with custom soles in my bmt shoes, my arch pain increases by like 10x, but with it, my arch doesnt hurt, my knee/back does o.o

10. Nightbird

Nightbird Regular Member

Bjmbggnm

:crying::crying::):confused::eek::cool::p:p:mad:;):crying::rolleyes::D:eek::(

11. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

????

Nightbird, does your post mean something, or are you just having a seizure?:confused:

12. Kirbit316

Kirbit316 Regular Member

Student
    Ew

Im worse, my right foot is flat and my left is arched. Sometimes I get mixed feelings. But I use special badminton shoes with my insoles. :mad:

13. Flexsis

Flexsis Regular Member

Student
    OMGZ there's special badminton shoes too=O, mee need xD

14. BennyC

BennyC Regular Member

N/A
    i have really flat feet and i was experiencing ankle pains before. Never went to the doctor but bought myself a pair of Super Feet Green. It was hel breaking in those insoles because my arch would scrap against the insole casuing blisters...but later on my foot settled in and it was fine. No more ankle pains, not even once since i first used them...which was back in 2007. However im starting to face a knee problem ( Jumper's knee) but thats most liekly due to just playing badminton, not my flat feet.

So my conclusion: get personal orthotics or buy a pair of super feet greens.

15. Aelred

Aelred Regular Member

I think I have a slight case of flat feet which I never noticed when using Yonex SHB-100LTD but now I've changed to Yonex SHB-101MX the arch on my right foot in particular has really started to ache :( I've noticed that the heel on the 101s is higher than that of the 100s which I think might be causing the trouble.

16. kish-mah-ash

kish-mah-ash Regular Member

i think i have flat feet and i've used all kinds of paddings or insoles.now i'm having a bit of pain in my right heeel area whenever i get up in the morning.i don't know if that's relateed to the insolces i'm using or not?

17. alexh

alexh Regular Member

Heel pain in the morning is possibly a symptom of plantar fasciitis (google it!) But there could be other causes instead. Check with a doctor or physiotherapist or podiatrist, and ask them whether you're using the right sort of insoles.

18. alexandruhhhhx

alexandruhhhhx New Member

I recommend investing in Orthotics, as someone previously mentioned. Usually, flat feet may yield no discomfort. However, repeated footwork, running, etc. can trigger shin splints and other painful consequences. Good luck!

19. kish-mah-ash

kish-mah-ash Regular Member

i dont' think i have plantar fasciiteis. but the pain would be aournd my heel and goes up the back of my heel,just below the ankle,not toward the front of the foot.and yes,i've sprainined my ankle before.

20. zenith82

zenith82 Regular Member

I think I am suffering from plantar fasciitis...still no cure for it...acupuncture only relieve my pain temporally.