Which do you prefer 2U or 3U?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by szekt, Feb 20, 2010.

1. szekt

szekt Regular Member

I have been playing with 3U Arc 10 for a while but recently decided to try my old racket aerotus 65sp which incidentally is in 2U ( I think back in those days most rackets are in 2U)...surprisingly, somehow I find that the manoueverability of the racket is pretty good despite the weight difference ( Iusually play singles) and I had no problems with my shots other than my backhand smash....my timing with my 2U racket seems to be slower; however the gain I get with my 2U is that my smashes packs more "oomph"....

Just wondering, any other pros and cons regarding the choice between the 2U or 3U and is it possible to have a "fast" 2U racket (independent of the technique/power of the player)?

2. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

The difference between 2U and 3U is only 5 grams anyway, but the effect in terms of mass is different. The reason that you're getting a lot more "oomph" with a 2U racquet is because of the better mass/momentum transfer which is a result from the 2U racquet having more mass and therefore a less tendency to bend or "make sounds" etc which all dissipates valuable energy when you hit the shuttle hard.

As for fast maneuvering a 2U racquet, for my case at least I can say that it just depends on your physical condition. 5 grams is not much in terms of mass, but just as you can get more feel from smashes, the recoil will also increase due to more mass moving about in your hand (referring to Newton's third law).

3. glydersid

glydersid Regular Member

I started with a 2U MP77 bought by my dad when I was 12, and it really helped developed my smashes, which was and still is my strong point. However, with 2U rackets you use mainly your whole arm and overtime I began to feel pain in my shoulder and had to stop playing five years later cause it became a serious injury. Now I mainly use 4U rackets due to the injury and occasionally 3U ones. So yeah, 2U makes you smash harder but that is if your arm (and shoulder) can handle it. Mine couldn't.

4. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    4U for me too :)
    Light 3U is okay aswell, but definitely not 2U.

Older 2U rackets are going to feel a lot lighter because they're 10-20mm shorter than modern rackets, so it's like you're permanently choking the grip as you would for net kills.

5. Flexsis

Flexsis Regular Member

Student
    I prefer 3U rackets, but 4U works fine too, 2U xD, too heavy for long term use ^^

6. Deathsticks

Deathsticks Regular Member

i choose 3u most of the time but if i wanna be more agressive then i use a 2u racket. 4u seems way to light a feels fragile.

7. Distanc3

Distanc3 Regular Member

stringer for community centers
    always 3U ti10s and NS9000s but recently started using the old carbonex 8 (2U) and LOVE it :)

8. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    You get to try out the RSL X2 Gold and Mizuno Testracross 700, both 2U G5 :D.

9. XLR88

XLR88 Regular Member

Student
    this should be a poll!

10. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

4U, 3U and 2U all have different feeling, so know the racket and get the best out of it. In general (assuming all BP, stiffness, string tension, racket size, etc are the same) 4U is the easiest to manouever and 2U is the least so. On the other hand, as "Blitzzard" mentioned, 2U provides the most strength on your swing and at the same time is the quickest to consume your energy

11. exalted

exalted Regular Member

Marketing
    2U/3U is not really a matter of preference, but of your own personal ability (strength) and the discipline you play.

In other words, 2U for life :)

I would use a 1U racket if available, but my defense is bad enough..

12. ryim_

ryim_ Regular Member

Capital Market Research
    3U should be just right :)

13. dust2k

dust2k Regular Member

started with 2U MP99 and then 3U for most rackets afterwards, recently after tried some 4U rackets I believe 4U will be the best for me now.

14. dorysan

dorysan Regular Member

I never played with 2U racket...but i played with 3/4/5U and i must say that 4U is really great for allround and 5U (Apacs SL75) is great for doubles and 3U is singles play mostly

15. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    For Armortecs I use 3U. For arcs and nanospeeds I use 2Us

16. maxp74

maxp74 Regular Member

Architect
    I've got a Aerotus 65 2U and it feels very much like a 3U. I've also got a AT700 3U and that feels more like a 2U. I guess that even though the Us are a form of numeric measurement it is probably best used as relative only to the same model.

17. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

5U? wow that must be very light below 80g, i wonder is it one of those that Apacs claims as the world's lightest racket?

18. Deathsticks

Deathsticks Regular Member

5u must be really fragile :p

19. visor

visor Regular Member

I've player with 85g vs 87g Trinity 2's of equal balance points, and find that the heavier one affords more power in smashes and clears with slower lazier swings, but at the expense of slower racket speeds and weaker maneuverability.

The lighter one on the other hand, is the opposite, with faster racket speed and incredible maneuverability, at the expense of lesser power in smash and clear due to requiring higher racket speed to generate power (which in turn requires better timing and technique).

20. PapA_xlonG

PapA_xlonG Regular Member

Student
    There are some 6U rackets from Apacs. Nano superlight series, Lethal light series and Tantrum light series. For me, they are very similar, just a different naming.