Pulling the calf muscle

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Lannister05, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Lannister05

Lannister05 Regular Member

I've played about 4 tournaments this year and in 3 of them i have pulled my left calf muscle in the quarter or semi final matches.

I have no idea why this is happening because I am stretching my legs out a lot before the tournament and I hydrate myself with plenty of water in between matches. I have no endurance issues but after I've reached my 15th or so singles game my left calf muscle almost always gives up on me.

The area that seems to hurt the most is generally the upper part of the calf, the muscle that is just below the knee cap.

Do any of you have any advice as to how i can reduce or prevent this from happening to me again because this is the 3rd tournament where I've basically handed my opponent the match because of that.

2. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    I had this problem, was in a big tournament and got to the finals of the singles but couldnt run due to both my calfs had pulled. I used to get this after playing long periods of time

I fixed this by strengthening my calfs in the off season by running hills 5 days a week!!

Make sure you have a sports drink with energy in it so the muscles can use the energy to keep going

Put on some deep heat on the calf before a game (spray or cream), might help to warm the muscle etc

3. noggin

noggin Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I had the same problem, although probably more severe - I would have been delighted to have made it through 15 games of singles! I had the problem in both calves.

Initially I went to see a physio (2 actually) who both said that I had bio-mechanical problems and suggested I was fitted for orthotics. I wasn't that keen to do this, but as things didn't get any better I gave it a try. Not cheap, but it definitely seemed to help and got me through a season with minimal problems.

However the problem returned and I went to a sports massage/trainer this time. He reckoned that the calves needed to be strengthened and gave me some exercises to do and recommended that I try a wobble board.

So I pretty much agree with Phil. Strengthening and adding mobility via stretching and using a wobble board has been the most effective for me so far. I still use the orthotics, but I do wonder if I really need them any more. However I'm loathed to take a chance and ditch them!

4. druss

druss Regular Member

Does sound like a stretch issue. There are three things you need for badmnton (and most sports) and it's a game of trying to find the best balance.

Strength, endurance and agility. Sounds like you're fine on the endurance and agility, just need more strength. Try excercises that target the calf muscles.