At-500, At-600, NS-100. At-900P (Clicking sound when swung)

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by BrioCloud, Feb 22, 2010.

1. BrioCloud

BrioCloud Regular Member

UC Davis Student
    Hi. I have a At-900P and am looking to get a racket for my little brother who is about to start his first badminton season. I'm looking at either the At-500, At-600, or NS-100. My like of them are in descending order.

I was just wondering, how is this new At-600? Is it head heavier than the At-500?

Also, has it come to a consensus that At-500 old and new are the same except for the color scheme?

I'd like to know whether the NS-100 has the armortec head shape and is it head heavy? I remember that somebody's NS-7000 has this thick head. I'm not familiar with NS so I would like some information about the head. I'm thinking that all NS are headlight?

One last thing, my At-900 makes this clicking sound when swung. I notice when I was swinging it in the air today in my dorm. I don't know if it makes a clicking sound when I play because it's hard to notice. I feel like it's coming from the cone. This makes my whole racket feel brittle. Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks

2. druss

druss Regular Member

You could have a small crack in the cone itself. Take a look at it under magnifying glass.

3. BrioCloud

BrioCloud Regular Member

UC Davis Student
    Well, there was a paint chip on the edge of the cone next to the shaft. It was a small very small crack, but I ripped the paint off jus tnow, and there seems to be still a cracking sound. It doesn't look like it's a full crack on the cone though. Wait, it seems to be harder to produce the sound now, but it still has the sound.

4. CrimsonRain

CrimsonRain Regular Member

Pharmacy Student
    I have the same problem with my old AT900P, and I also notice the same problem in my friend's AT900T. I think this is some sort of flaw, because since the grips of the AT900's are longer, the flex point would be closer to the cone area (because the shaft length is shorter), instead of the shaft area for most rackets. I remember someone telling me this, that's why I'm most likely going to stay away from long-gripped rackets.

I personally would stay away from lower end NS models. And you're right, all the NS models are head-light or even-balance-ish, except for NS7700 and NS9000. I personally dislike head-light rackets...but that is only my take.

I remember I had an AT500, the grey/orange color scheme, and I TRULY LOVED IT. I was only a beginner, but my smashes and clears were really powerful and smooth. I honestly don't know the diff between the new and old AT500, but all I can say is that I enjoyed mine when I was younger.

I recently tried my friend's AT600, and I think it is a decent racket. I think it is racket for those that can't take as much punishment, but still want a lot of power. For me, the racket was quite powerful (maybe stronger than the AT500, but not as strong as AT700), and I couldn't feel any of the shock from them, which would be good if I was sore or if my arm couldn't take it. But since I'm used to stiffer rackets, I'd probably get an AT700 over the AT600, but I still believe the AT600 is a decent racket and wouldn't mind having to play with it.

5. BrioCloud

BrioCloud Regular Member

UC Davis Student
    This sounds disappointing. My At-900P is my prized possession and I can't believe it has this weird flex point and flaw. So you had good experience with the new At-500, hopefully the old would be the same. I want the old because I want a part of history. Lol. But for the price, At-700 old version is a bit far off. Anybody have more info on these weird cracking noise?!

6. CrimsonRain

CrimsonRain Regular Member

Pharmacy Student
    Skywalker is selling an MP88 just fyi, since it seems like you're more of a collector haha.

7. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

8. BrioCloud

BrioCloud Regular Member

UC Davis Student
    I don't really see my cone moving though as in that thread. Should I still apply super glue? I don't see any gaps. =/

And that guy in the thread didn't really tell which shop he brought to fix. Any badminton stringer store?

9. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

i actually Like the NS100. Its pretty powerful and its defense is quite respectable. its very fast, and with its 3U weight, it feels quite nice. that, and the fact it can take high tension stringing is another plus. and, at $50, its quite the steal.

10. ryim_

ryim_ Regular Member

Capital Market Research
    I second that. I bought the pink one for my girlfriend but I've used it for some games and its a great racket given the price.

11. BrioCloud

BrioCloud Regular Member

UC Davis Student
    Cool. Is it head heavy or head light? Also, what kind of frame is it? I have seen NS with these thick frames, a bit similar to an Armortec frame. Is it similar or is it actually an Armortec-shape frame?