jumping backhand?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by angelus_2012, Dec 11, 2002.

1. angelus_2012

angelus_2012 Regular Member

Do you eventually jump on backhands? No matter a backhand smash or backhand hit?
    Anyway, how can you tell if you're an arm or a wrist player? any differences between an arm or a wrist player?

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    No matter forehand or backhand, jump smash surely generates more power (if u do it right), and gives less time for ur opponent to react. However, if ur timing is not good enough, u can possibly miss a very easy shot, or let everyone laugh their heads off. :D

I consider myself more like a "wrist" player. I mainly play double, and always the one try to stay in the front (of course, need to cover back, when I need to). With the shorter distance from the net, I need to have relatively quick reaction for return, drive and drop.

In me and my partner's strategy, I am more like the "setup" guy, using drop and quick drive to make my opponent off balance, and let my partner do a killing smash to finish them off. However, sometimes, if my opponent gets trouble to return my partner's shot, I am more than willing to finish them off by some "surprise" attack in front of the net, like a nasty drop (if both of them are at the back), or a quick net smash, etc.

3. Kiwiplayer

Kiwiplayer Regular Member

A jumping backhand shot (of any sort) is not something I've seen any professional player do, or if I have, then I certainly don't remember it. Occasionally, from mid/rear court I'll have to play a jumping backhand clear or quick cross-court drop if I get caught out of position. When I say jumping, I mean jumping to reach the shuttle (ie horizontal and vertical movement), rather than getting there, waiting and then jumping vertically to meet the shuttle. Not a shot I like to play, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Perhaps the reason I don't see the better players doing shots like this, is that they don't need to.

#3 Kiwiplayer, Dec 12, 2002
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2002
  4. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    man I have hard enough of a time to hit backhands on the ground, nevermind jumping for one. however I do still find myself doing some sometime out of necessity.

hmm difference between wrist and arm player? I always thought arm player has the full stroke w/ full arm swing and that's where most of the power comes from. Whereas a wrist player generate power w/ the wrist mainly without much arm movement. that definition is kinda vague since all of us eventually use both arm and wrist, I guess it just depends on which part more.

5. Xuser

Xuser Regular Member

Computer Network Analyst
    Why would you want to backhand jump smash? If you have the time to jump, you should have the time to use your forehand.

With regards to wrist or arm player, IMHO, I think you get more power with the arm movement. Wrist is more for trick shots, snap or sudden change of directions. My 2 cents ;)

6. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    my jump backhand is not really a smash, it is actually because I am usually caught in the wrong part of the court so I had to jump back to my backhand side to retrieve a shot. :D

7. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    Saw Icuk Sugiarto do it once. It was almost an amazing shot, but it went out. That's about it. I'm sure there's more.

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

It's not about the time to jump. To me, it's more like a "surprise attack". I usually do this, when I can make sure I can shot the shuttle right toward their body, say chest or waist. The direction on this shot will be different than the normal "forehand smash". Therefore, sometimes works very well for me.

9. Pecheur

Pecheur Regular Member

I've seen it a done a few times most memorably by the Belgian guy that played singles in the last Olympics (Ruud Kuerten?). He played it against Rio Suyana, and did it twice, when "faked" (I'm not sure if he was faked or was just hustling) when Rio lifted to the backhand side, he jumped backwards, spun and hit two really fast crosscourt backhands well within the service line of the court. He did end up losing the game though.

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Taufik. i think he did it to Budi Santoso in 1999 Indo Open. Taufik has one of the best backhand. i remember seeing another from another person, but i don't recall now..

11. angelus_2012

but is the power more on jumping backhand or you just want to hit the shuttle quickly (in order to play finesse) ??

12. angelus_2012

sorry , that question was outdated.
    i'm in blur right now, and i don't know that lots of you did the jumping backhand.
    i'll post another post after i've cleared up my mind.. thx guyss.

LazyBuddy, you've been very helpful and supportive, i appreaciate that.

13. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Me??? That good???

Ohhh... Thnx thnx... :D

14. Kiwiplayer

Actually, now that I think about it, a jumping backhand shot is not unreasonable when you're at the net in doubles. However, if you do have to jump for the shot on the backhand, then I think most people would suggest that you would be better off leaving that shot for your partner. It just depends on the players. If you are quick enough, then going for these shots can be valuable as you can put a lot of pressure on your opponents, even if you do make the odd mistake here and there.

15. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

100% agree. That's exactly what I meant in my previous post. I do this for the following several reasons:

1. my partner and me play front and back, if he has to rush for this shot, will leave entire right-back wide open (both of us r right hand). Also, create possible confusion in switching.

2. I am much closer to the net, gives less reaction time for my opponent

3. most ppl are right hand, by doing my backhand, I attack his/her back hand

4. surprising attack... be cool??? :rolleyes: :eek: :D

16. Kiwiplayer

Just a small point, but if you're right handed and you play a backhand (straight, not cross court), then you will be playing to your right-handed opponents forehand.

17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I think LB is left handed. Did that come up in another thread?