Lighter Racquets compared to heavier ones

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by danielbi, Feb 22, 2010.

1. danielbi

danielbi Regular Member

i know like ones only better if you're used to it, and your style of play, but is lighter racquets more prone to breaking than heavier ones? would a 6u racquet break faster than a 3u one? im mostly talking about the super light apacs racquets like tantrum light exclusive and such.

so would lighter racquets break faster than heavier ones?

2. druss

druss Regular Member

yes, based on the same number of mishits, clashes... etc. they just aren't as durable. Also, you need to be careful on string tension.

3. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    Yes, lighter rackets are generally more fragile.
    However, even the strongest racket is likely to break if you clash it.
    In practice, you should be fine unless you string at high tension - in which case the lighter racket is more likely to be damaged during stringing, and more likely to break as a result of a mis-hit.
    Obviously there's a bit more to it than that - some rackets are made of higher quality materials than others; box cross-section frames are stronger than aero frames; etc.

4. danielbi

danielbi Regular Member

so will like a 6u apac racquet at 24 lb break while im just playing a game and hitting normally with the occasional rim shots?

5. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

nope, not really. should be perfectly fine.

6. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

how about 28lbs? i notice Apacs spec says it can take up to 30 or 35 lbs, is it for real?

7. Porky

Porky Regular Member

The funny thing is, all those cheap brands racquets like Apacs, Proace, etc claims to be able to take up to 30lbs, while ur branded Yonex max tension claims to be 24lb only....so why the difference lehz? My guess is Yonex juz wanna play it safe and not damage their reputation in the event that the racquet breaks when u string high tension....hehe

8. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    You can always purposely whack the racket on the ground for instant death if you like! lol! :D I remember seeming someone who lost their cool and literally did that (crack!!!) - a lot of people looked in the direction of the sound when it happened.

9. Jasonvan

Jasonvan Regular Member

I did that with my tennis racket once many many years ago... never again will I do something like that :D

10. druss

druss Regular Member

It has nothing to do with "playing it safe" except for the fact that they don't want to replace more rackets under warranty. The higher the tension on the strings the higher the chance that the racket will suffer damage with mishits, clashes, stringing... etc.

Yonex is a business and every single warranty replacement is money off the bottom line.

11. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    i've done it once to a yonex tennis racket made from boron, it didn't break, but my wrist hurt for the next three days (since i was in 13 back then), did it once also to a carlton badminton racket, it is like you said, "instant death". never will i do it again now that i love my equipment as well as not sportsmanship like!