advice for a newb - Nikon D300s

Discussion in 'Badminton Photography' started by Paul_A, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Paul_A

Paul_A Regular Member

Student
    I am new to DSLRs and I am thinking of getting a Nikon D300s. Plan to use it for a lots of stuff and badminton photos definitely being one of them. Any advice on my choice will be helpful. I'd like to know what kind of lenses I should be looking for as well.

2. ryim_

ryim_ Regular Member

Capital Market Research
    D300s is definitely an excellent choice as I find that my D90 is pretty good for everything that I use it for. For badminton (like many other sports), lens choice is crucial for taking good photos. You will definitely need a F2.8 or larger aperture lenses if you plan to shoot badminton photos.

3. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

a very good camera.

as for the rest of advice, this thread (one of several) below has lots of good advice:cool:
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41195

#3 ctjcad, Feb 24, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  4. ddannir

ddannir Regular Member

If money isn't a issue, get the D90. If it is, try looking for a D40. I have a D40 right now. It's a very good camera out of the box.

5. Mini Me

Mini Me Member

huh? the d300s costs a lot more than the d90. if money wasn't an issue i'd get a d3s + d3x + d300s :)

6. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    I think the lenses are much more important... get a expensive lenses

7. illusionistpro

illusionistpro Regular Member

For badminton both body and lenses are equally important. You set up is only as good as its weakest link. So for people shooting with d90-d40 and xti-t2i you will have considerable shutter lag and slower continuous frame rate. Getting something like d200-d300s, d700, d2 or d3 series, 40d and 50d, 7d or even 1d mkII, mkIII will give you tons more control and a lot better performance. For bodies I recommend no less than a 40d for canon and no less than d200 for nikon. Ideally you would want the newest from either brands "prosumer" line, and of course if you can get your hands on any of their pro bodies then you're golden.

"Expensive lens'" shouldnt be what you're looking for, but rather fast, quality lenses. Yes they do usually cost more, but just because its expensive doesnt mean it will be good. There is another thread that outlines this but a good 35mm, 50mm and 85mm all with f/1.8 aperture or better should be what you're looking for. You can also try zooms like 70-200 f/2.8 or 24-70 or 17-55 however those are going to be a lot "slower" and you will certainly get motion blur if youre snapping while they're swinging.

8. ddannir

ddannir Regular Member

I was thinking about the d5000. The price difference of the d90 and d300s is 800.

The reason to get a D300s over a D90 is tougher build, and a zillion AF sensors.

I couldn't agree with you more, I would totally go full frame with the d3x =).

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i heard the EOS-1D Mark IV isn't bad either:D

10. ryim_

ryim_ Regular Member

Capital Market Research
    The D3s is better than the Mark IV ;)

11. kish-mah-ash

kish-mah-ash Regular Member

this iswhat i heard and read: nikon has better performing bodies than others byut canon blows the rest of the competitions with their amazing lens selection.

12. ryim_

ryim_ Regular Member

Capital Market Research
    this is true and their lenses are often less expensive than their Nikon counterparts as well.

13. calvinlgoh

calvinlgoh Regular Member

Student
    The D300s is a great choice! If you are not married to either brand (canon vs nikon) I would highly recommend trying out the 7D as well. Both are similarly priced and spec'ed. The 7d has better video vs the D300s. But the D300s will produce better images :)D:p I shoot Nikon)..

Like many threads both here or any other forums, the body will only be part the equation. For shooting badminton, a fast prime lens would be your best bet. Depends how far you are from the players. If you are at your local club, and can be by or at least near the sideline, a 35,50, or 85 prime would be your best bet. If you are shooting at a bigger event and dont have a press pass, you might be shooting from the stands, at which point a f2.8 telezoom will be your main lens along with a stable monopod.

My advice for a nice "complete" (it is never complete!!) would be

D300s
    17-55mm 2.8
    50mm 1.4D
    70-200mm 2.8

This would be a great starter kit and will grow with you. Rather than spending money on lower end equipment and having to sell at a loss later. This is provided that you have made the decision to take this hobby up seriously.

14. Gladius

Gladius Regular Member

Design Engineer
    As for whether the 7D or the D300s shoots better picts, that's highly subjective and dependent on the circumstances and genre of photography you're deep into. Its about even in general. With the 7D having an edge where focal length is challenged and vast detail is desired.

But as far as I've tried and compared, the Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS is the better lens compared to the Nikon version. But if budget is a great constraint, do give the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 VC a consideration. Great image quality at a great price, though a little bit slower than the Canon version in focus acquisition (mounted on a Canon 50D). On par or slightly faster compared to the Nikon version mounted on a D200.

For APS-C, the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 is something well worth considering. Sharp and fast.

As for the 70-200 f/2.8, both the Canon and Nikon versions will outperform the 3rd party offerings( till now and as far as I've seen). Unless the new Sigma one is a real 'killer' ..

15. NanoBatien

NanoBatien Regular Member

I have a D90, and when I bought it, my rationale was:

Buy the cheapest camera possible that satisfies your needs. Its digital, it will be outdated eventually.

The D90 is the lowest Id go in the Nikon line because below that there are no AF motor lower than D90.

The main difference between the D90 and the D300/D300s is the better AF and better build quality. AF is nice, but really 12 (or whatever) sensors is enough. I only use 1 sensor 99% of the time anyway, cos with auto-sensor it may not be exactly where I want. Im not a professional, and take reasonable care of my equipment.

The other sweet spot IMO is the D700.

Spend the extra money on lenses, flash, tripod, etc.

16. ddannir

ddannir Regular Member

I couldnt agree with you more.

17. ryim_

ryim_ Regular Member

Capital Market Research
    With good glass, I am sure I can take some badminton photos with my D90 but of course there will be some limitations. I've had mine for about 8 or 9 months and its awesome. Especially when I use my 50.8 for various shots

18. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer

#18 OneToughBirdie, Mar 14, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
  19. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Correction in red below:

I do not own a DSLR but almost bought a DSLR last year but my trip was cancelled and probably will buy one this year for an Alaskan Cruise trip. I have looked at D300s, 7D and D90. The D300s is very highly rated, the D90 good too, price difference is C$800.
    Difference between the D90-D300s is 4.5 fps-7fps, 11AF-51AF, same 12.3MP sensor, alum alloy body-magnesium body, D300s has better dust reduction. The main drawback for me is the D300s weight 1.9lb without lens/battery while the D90 weighs only 1.375lb without lens/battery.

Since I waited and did not buy last year, the Canon 7D came out. I really like it though, also highly rated. Compare 7D-D300s, difference is 1080p-720p movie mode, 18MP-12.3MP sensor, 19AF-51AF, 8fps-7fps. Weight same. 7D costs C$150> D300s.

If I pick now, I go with NanoBatien. After all, how many AF do you need? I am no great photographer but just need a good DSLR to capture scenic pictures to remember the places me and my wife visits. The main consideration is the weight of the D300s and 7D, carrying them touring CHN may be tiring. I just want to take good picture and looks like a D90 will fill my needs. One thing you may know already, your first camera choice is very important cos next time around you keep the lens (whether Nikon or Canon, I have no 3rd choice) but change the body;)

I will use a single 18-200VRII travelling lens (without having to change lens all the time and reduce dust entry in dusty places).[/quote]

20. Mini Me

Mini Me Member

18mp vs 12mp is mostly marketing. if you can't take a good photo with 12mp then you won't be able to take a good photo with 18mp. 12mp jpegs are about 4-5mb each so 18mp will be around 7-8mb. you'll need a faster computer and more disk space to process/store more mp.

if you only use AF-S mode then the number of AF sensors doesn't matter much. AF-C mode works much better with more sensors though. d300s (and d700) has 51 point AF tracking based on colour as well as metering. when it works it is far superior to d90's AF. i say "when it works" because in low light it can get confused, but in decent light it's amazing to see the active AF sensor move to keep track of your original target. i find it extremely useful for handheld closeup pictures where i want to keep a particular subject in focus but can't hold steady enough to keep just a single AF sensor on the subject. other uses would be to track children running around erratically. not sure if canon has a similar AF mode or if it works the same as nikon.