User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post About making your grip size smaller?

So I'm an avid doubles player, and I'm currently using a Yonex Arcsaber 7. Teh racket itself is great, but I happened to have it in g2. G3 is much better sized/perfect for me. When I play with G2, i feel like I'm losing too much power, and my smashes are flat. So is there any "magical" way of making the grip size smaller apart from like slicing the wood or something. If not, I was thinking of removing the original black grip that comes with the racket, and putting atheltic tape and a towel grip over it. However, I heard that using a racket wit a grip over bare wood can destroy your hand after several games. Any suggestions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What you're suggesting is pretty much what I do. Remove the factory grip and replace with an overgrip on the wood. I also put some tape underneath in case sweat gets through the overgrip and over time causes damage to the wood.

It is harder on your hard (i.e. less cushioned) but I find it ok and it's much better for me than playing with a grip that's just too big. It will change the feel of the racket (obviously!) but if you don't like it you can always put a replacement grip back on.

In years gone by I have also tried sanding down the wooden grip. If you try this make sure you don't sand off the bevels!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I usually play with a layer of tape and an overgrip on bare wood. Pretty hard feel, very direct...