$5 Badminton Tournament @ Santa Teresa - SPRING 2010

Discussion in 'USA West' started by sjsharks429, Feb 24, 2010.

1. sjsharks429

sjsharks429 Regular Member

Hello Everyone!

We’re BACK! The $5 Badminton Tournament @ Santa Teresa will be held on Saturday, March 27, 2010! This tournament is for EVERYONE OF ALL AGES!!! This is NOT a high school tournament.

We had a huge tournament back in September 2009 with over 150 athletes compete in our tournament!!!

What makes this tournament different from the one in the Fall is that we are adding SINGLES to the tournament (this was demanded by a lot of the athletes).

I invite everyone of all ages who are C and D level players to sign up and have a good time. In addition, just because the events are only $5, we will have a lot of features not normal to a badminton tournament:

a. We will have scorekeepers on the courts to give players the feel that they are playing a huge sporting event.
    b. Draws will be posted on giant poster boards. In addition, if you win 1st place, you get to keep the poster boards =)
    c. You will get a response right away on whether or not you are in the tournament, wait-list, etc... No more waiting til the day before a tournament to find out if you are going to play or not!

As for me, Mike Do, and my co-tournament director, Jenny Tsang, we have had a lot of experience running tournaments. I myself have ran or help run the MHAL Badminton tournament for four years, I made the tournament boards for MHAL for four years and CCS for the past two years.

So, if you are afraid that since this is such a cheap tournament and that it won't be running smoothly, I promise you that my team and I running this tournament will be working are very best so that everyone has a great experience at Santa Teresa.

I hope to see a lot of you on Saturday, March 27!!!

College Students
    This tournament is the perfect time for those of you are Spring Break, since if you are in the Cal State system, it will be at the beginning of your Spring Break, and for the people in the UC system, this tournament is on the Saturday before you go back to school =)

High School Students

A lot of you have been asking if you could play in this the tournament even though it is not sanctioned by CCS or NCS. The answer is YES!!!! However, in order for you to participate, you are NOT allowed to wear anything that involves your school (shirts, shorts, etc…) You are representing yourself and not your school. As long as you do that, you are free to play (just like if you were going to the Bay Area Open, Davis Open, etc…)

--------------

Date & Location:
    Saturday, March 27, 2010, Santa Teresa High School’s Large Gym
    6150 Snell Road, San Jose, CA, 95123

Events:
    D Men Singles (capped at 32 entries)
    D Women Singles (capped at 16 entries)
    D Men Doubles (capped at 32 entries)
    D Women Doubles (capped at 16 entries)
    D Mixed Doubles (capped at 32 entries)
    C Men Doubles (capped at 16 entries)
    C Mixed Doubles (capped at 16 entries)

Conditions:
    -All events, with the exception of consolation, will use the BWF rally point scoring to 21x3 system.
    -All consolation games are 1 game to 21.
    -It is up to you and your opponent as to which type of bird you will be using in this tournament (plastic or feather). WE WILL NOT PROVIDE ANY SHUTTLECOCKS (FEATHER OR PLASTIC) IN THIS TOURNAMENT. YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN!
    -10 minute rule will be strictly enforced; warm-up limited to 3 minutes.
    -If you place 1st or 2nd in the D flight in an event and make it to quarters in the C flight for the same event, you will automatically be disqualified for the C flight. LETS BE FAIR!!!
    -1st place Winners from the previous tournament in September 2009 WILL NOT be allowed to compete in the same event in this tournament (regardless if you have a different partner).

Entries:
    $5 per event (CASH ONLY; Maximum 3 events). Please pay at the tournament. Entries will be entered on a first come, first serve basis. You MUST have the same partner if you sign up for C & D for the same event.

Deadline:
    Entries must be received by Wednesday, March 17 @ 8 PM. There is a $5 late fee for entries received after this date. Late entries are not guaranteed a place on the draw.

Prizes:
    Awards will be awarded for 1st, 2nd, and Consolation winner for each individual event.

Times:
    Warmups start from 7:00AM-7:45AM.
    We do not have times set yet. However, it is very likely that D events will start at 8AM. We will have a better idea of the start times after Wednesday, March 17.

T-Shirts:
    If we get over 50 orders for T-Shirts by Friday, March 12, then we will order them. The cost will most likely be $6. If we do not meet 50 orders, we will not order T-shirts.

Tournament Director:
    Mike Do & Jenny Tsang

To sign up:
    E-mail your entries or any questions you may have to mikedo@hotmail.com. Please include the following info:
    Name:
    Phone #:
    Events/partner name for each event:
    High School/College/Badminton Club: (So that we ensure you will not play your high schoolmate/college mate/clubmate in the 1st round)
    Badminton background: (so that we can make the tournament fair and maybe seed you)
    T-Shirt: (Write “Yes” if you are going to buy one, “No” if you are not)
    Size: (S-XL only; and only give us your size if you are going to buy one)

Example:

Name: Mike Do
    E-Mail Address: mikedo@hotmail.com
    Phone #: 408-867-5309 (not my real number!!!)
    Events/partner name for each event:
    D Men Singles
    C Men Doubles – Tommy TooTall
    D Mixed Doubles – Amanda Hugandkiss
    High School/College/Badminton Club: Silver Creek/UCSD
    Badminton background: 3rd place Sun God 2003 in D Men Doubles
    T-Shirt: Yes
    Size: XL

2. illusionistpro

illusionistpro Regular Member

feather or plastic?! yikes!!!

3. sjsharks429

Yup Yup! So many choices!!! Remember, we aren't providing any birds, so its only fair that we let the competitors choose which bird they would like to use. This was brought up at the last tournament. Hence, we made this change.

4. bad4life

bad4life Regular Member

What if I have feather bird but my opponent has plastic, does that mean I have to play one game with feather and the other game with plastic in the same match?

5. illusionistpro

That is a pretty big challenge. I think a feather player may not be able to get the same and feel from the plastic, but should also know how to exploit the differences. The plastic player on the other hand will have a better feel for plastic, but may come up short on some shots if they use a feather. I think the hardest part will be transitioning between games where people use only plastic to a game where you use only feather. WARM UPS ARE GOING TO BE ESSENTIAL!

6. sjsharks429

Thanks so much for the feedback. This is a "my bad" moment. What I should have mentioned is that before the match, both opponents must decide whether they are using feather or plastic. Once that decision has been made, then they must use that type of bird throughout the entire match. So, if we my opponent and I chose plastic at the beginning of the match, then we must use plastic throughout the entire match.

Again, I thank you for all the feedback and look forward to answering anymore questions that anymore may have =)

IllusionistPro is correct though, this will provide a challenge to some of our competitors. But hey, a little challenge every now and then only makes us stronger and wiser =)

7. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    What if you can't agree on the type of birdies (plastic or feather)? ;)

8. illusionistpro

Are there any bc members who played this before? Any feedback?

9. ryangjo

ryangjo New Member

If I recall correctly, the floors for this tournament in September 2009 were VERY slippery. Is this going to be a challenge for players again this year?

10. canti

canti Regular Member

Student
    Yeah i didnt like the floors i wish they were cleaner. everything else was fine. You should play elliot.

11. sjsharks429

Hi everyone. We will be trying a different method this time as to cleaning the floors before the tournament.

1. We are using a different cleaner this time and will wash the floors the night before the tournament.
    2. After every 4-5 matches on each court, we will sweep the court. On our last tournament, we didn't sweep them at all throughout the whole day.
    3. We will provide paper towels and water at each court so that the players can use to wipe their feet.
    4. In our last tournament in September, it was a VERY hot and humid day. There was lots of sweating going on =P So, it is my hope that this tournament will not be so hot, hence less sweat on the floor, hence less slippery.

Again, I thank you so much for all the feedback. It is my hope that we could all work together to make sure that this tournament is a very successful tournament.

P.S. If you can't agree on the bird, I myself will get on the court and we will flip a coin to decide which bird to use =P

12. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Why didn't you not get someone to sponsor the tournament like APACS or ashaway or RSL ? They would have provided shuttles for you ( @ a small fee ofcourse) but $1 more per competitior

13. sjsharks429

Unfortunately, we did not have the time to find a sponsor. In addition, since we are charging only $5 per event, it can be difficult to find a sponsor in the first place since I assume a sponsor's goal is to get a little money back, which we won't have as much.

On a side note, we do have a facebook link to the tournament. I couldn't find a way to add the link on to my original post so I will post it here:

http://www.facebook.com/?sk=messages&tid=1237307098935#!/event.php?eid=354075405900&ref=mf

14. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    Actually I'm somewhat surprised to hear this. Maybe I'm naive :rolleyes:

I'd think if any vendor chooses to sponsor an event, they'd have to
    spend money, not to get a little money back, at least not right away...

I'd think this is like a commercial for the sponsor. You do need to pay
    where-ever you do ad these days, right?

15. sjsharks429

Hello Everyone,

Thank you so much for those of you who signed up for the tournament. We have had more entries than our previous tournament!!!

Currently, we only have 3 spots remaining for D Women Singles. Otherwise, every other event that we have is SOLD OUT!!! (with a huge wait-list as well).

If you have signed up, but decide not to participate, please let us know as soon as possible since there are many people on the wait-list.

If you have signed up and are still going, expect an e-mail from me soon with more details on the tourney, who your 1st round opponent will be, and when the start times will be.

Just to give you a heads up, we will start with all Single events, followed by Double events, and in the evening we will have Mixed events.

Thank you thank you thank you for all your support and let's make this tournament a successful one for everyone!