User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a no brainer to understand that faster racket swing will generate faster shuttle speed, assuming same racket striking similar shuttlecock flying thru the same air quailty. A proficient smasher on his worst day using the crappist racket, crappist string, at any usable tension (ie shuttlecock don't get stuck between string) can out smash a beginner at his peak mental and physical condition equipped with the best suited racket and string, scientifically optimized for his ability, strung at his optimized tension down to +/ 0.05 0.1 lbs accuracy. Having speed solves alot of problems, from footwork to the tip of your racket. I've said that many times over.

one of it in MA thread http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...t=beast&page=7

refresher course http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...ung+fu+hustle#
    Last edited by cooler; 02-26-2010 at 05:13 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cooler View Post
    this energy storage-release component has been discussed and explained before as well.(post #24)
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...ght=bow&page=3
    ..leave it to master cooler to bring back & refresh the old posts..
    yeah, i think i've read similar synopsis/break down before (and i believe there may be a couple other similar ones)..
    btw, it's interesting the poster in that link above (post #24) is also from Canada.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes apparently thats what I heard. A faster swing speed gives more power. According to a theory which i forgot, speed or acceleration and mass are part of a formula that gives you power or velocity or smth? Yeah both mass and speed play a part.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

great info here..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's kind of common sense, but yes, swing faster does make the bird fly faster. That's why you swing with a lot of force to produce a powerful smash, and you control your strength to get a nice dropshot that lands in the forecourt.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Athelete1234 View Post
    It's kind of common sense, but yes, swing faster does make the bird fly faster. That's why you swing with a lot of force to produce a powerful smash, and you control your strength to get a nice dropshot that lands in the forecourt.
    Yes, but one can only swing the racket only so fast... there is a terminal speed at which point the muscles can only contract so fast, regardless of how light the racket is.

On the other side of the coin, one can only effectively wield a heavy racket (think mass in the momentum equation) for so long without getting tired. So, somewhere in the middle is where we can find an effective compromise/balance where we can swing a certain racket mass fast enough to genererate max momentum for long enough without getting fatigued.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, a faster swing speed will result in more power. That can't really be disputed.

However, in practice focusing your attention on trying to swing as fast as possible can possibly lead to decreased performance. Here an example:

tell a beginner/intermediate to swing as hard as possible, and you will see someone put a lot effort into what amounts to an average amount of power. For any human movement, there are muscles that contribute to the movement, others that absorb/slow down the movement, and others positioned laterally that absorb excess forces from the first two types. You need to get the right muscles to fire or release at the right time; if you can't do this, it's like pressing the accelerator down while pressing the brakes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as druss and cooler puts it scientifically, yes the equation and explanation is there but i think its very hard for most readers to understand...

what kwun and stumblingfeet puts in is easier to understand for most readers and yes, i agree:

1/ at the end the player has to find out the suitable maxima point (kwun) and

2/ a clear explanation and a good example - 'You need to get the right muscles to fire or release at the right time; if you can't do this, it's like pressing the accelerator down while pressing the brakes' (stumblingfeet).

in theory faster speed more power but in real world its the player's ability...understand first then practice and try it out...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my reply was to only answering the 'what' of the thread title subject. I did not went into the when, where and how to use speed. The real answer can be said in 1 line or a whole thesis, it depend on what one is really asking for. The math part was only to clarify the limitation of momentum conservation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Yes apparently thats what I heard. A faster swing speed gives more power. According to a theory which i forgot, speed or acceleration and mass are part of a formula that gives you power or velocity or smth? Yeah both mass and speed play a part.
    This is the formula:
    F=ma

F - force
    m - mass (a portion of body weight)
    a - acceleration (of the racket head)

But speed is different:
    V=d/t

V - velocity or speed
    d - distance
    t - time

What we need is high acceleration:
    a=V/t

a - acceleration
    V - velocity
    t - time

Something like that.
    Last edited by ixoye; 03-10-2010 at 05:19 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no doubt faster swing= more power... but that itself is counterintuitive... a faster swing speed is related to many factors (technique)...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my reply was to only answering the 'what' of the thread title subject. I did not went into the when, where and how to use speed. The real answer can be said in 1 line or a whole thesis, it depend on what one is really asking for. The math part was only to clarify the limitation of momentum conservation.
    i like correct myself, the real answer can be said in 1 word or a whole thesis.
    That one word to this thread is, 'yes'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i like correct myself, the real answer can be said in 1 word or a whole thesis.
    That one word to this thread is, 'yes'.
    it depends..in theory yes, in practical i wish it can just be true so my coaching easier.
    2-3 years ago a man came to see me with his racket as he thought he has a problem with it. this man has arm bigger than my calf and he said 'the ball just don't move'. i took a look at his racket, tension, string and speed of shuttle and everything looks fine so in the end i decided to take a look at how he play.

whenever he lobs he makes a thunderous sound and it was true, the ball didn't move lol. he got a pan grip and he strikes the shuttle with a slice!

what do you think of that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stansilas4 View Post
    no doubt faster swing= more power... but that itself is counterintuitive... a faster swing speed is related to many factors (technique)...
    yes, you are right and you must have experienced that!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

its about equilibrium, obtain a balance between Speed and Power, if you have balance you need to enhance your Speed and Power to perform more powerful shots

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Boaster View Post
    So, would swinging faster always equate to more power? I have a feeling it does, but when I use a heavy racket (HH or not 2U heavy 3U) and hit, it will seem to produce a stronger shot. Of course physics comes into play with moving a heavier mass to transfer but was wondering if a lighter racket (still 3U but easier to swing) moving "faster" would also produce a powerful shot?
    To bring up some points not mentioned yet:

* Except in pro levels, I believe working on technique (i.e., how exactly to hold or turn the racket, and where exactly to hit the shuttle, and consistency from one smash to the next) has much more influence than the bare swinging speed. As mentioned above, the speed matters only near the tiny time slot of the actual hit, not before and not after.

* For example, people say that you should relax your grip at most times, but tighten it just at the impact point. Aside from letting you play longer, this means that at the point of impact, the resistance your racket offers to the ball is much larger - not only the weight of the racket influences the shuttle, but also your wrist-arm-body as that system is rather tight (just at the impact point). Mental experiment: hit just at fast, but *relax* your fingers to the extreme, at the point of impact, and you'll notice that the smash will be very weak indeed as much less force is transfered to the shuttle (instead, the racket will be braked much more).

* Even under the assumption that the racket speed matters much, for practical reasons, it does not help in any way since it does not tell you how to achieve that speed. I.e., which of the parts of the system should be involved most (shoulder, upper arm, lower arm, wrist).

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ultimately, generating power is all about two things:

• Racket head speed on impact
    • A clean contact (non-sliced)

The trouble is that what feels to the player like a fast movement of the racket often is actually quite slow. We're also not really built for generating speed through a linear movement: good technique relies on rotating the racket head during the swing, which converts angular momentum of the racket head into linear momentum of the shuttle.

So it's all about racket head speed, but this isn't necessarily a useful coaching point. When you tell a player to swing the racket as fast as he can, the racket head speed often does down (as stumblingfeet explained).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast