rule of thumb?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by maxp74, Feb 27, 2010.

1. maxp74

maxp74 Regular Member

Architect
    Thinner strings gives a thighter feeling att the same tension as a thicker string. That's a known fact. My question here is if there is a simple rule for how much tension you have to add to get the same "tightness feeling" on a thicker string?

Example: If I string a 0,66 mm (say bg66) string at 22 lbs, how much more tension should I add to get the same feeling on a 0,68 mm string (say bg68ti)?

Thanks

2. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I would start by experimenting:D. I'm not aware of any "rule", as such, so you could start by adding 1 lb per 0.01 mm and see how it goes. It is a plausible and valid question, as it's natural to want the same control when switching to a thicker string.

3. dorysan

dorysan Regular Member

why not just play with BG66 and dont try to put more pressure on your frame?
    as well as the fact that the string will brake faster/same as the thiner string at higher tensions...

4. maxp74

maxp74 Regular Member

Architect
    Oh, I do experiment, but I'm just in the beginning of this so i thought maby I could cut some corners by asking around. There is alot of knowledge on this forum.

I was thinking the same ting as you are sugesting - 1 lb per 0,01 mm. If that holds in reality it's quite beautiful :p

5. maxp74

maxp74 Regular Member

Architect
    Yea, It's the smart thing to do. Just stick to what you are used to. It's just that I got the tweeking bug and I want to try other strings and tensions.

The question about "the ruel" is more to check if I have missed something obvious the everybode allready knows.

6. dorysan

dorysan Regular Member

oh yeah same bug as i have with rackets...
    here is my opinion about is: it will be harder to generate power and the feeling wont be the same, as the materials that used to make the strings are different...but it really worth a try...
    please update if there any conclusions.;)

7. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

A good point - with a thicker string strung tighter you will lose power both from the extra thickness AND the tightness:D. I also agree that the disparity in string materials will have a very large effect on any result, but I would be curious to see if my 1 lb per 0.01 mm is close to the truth...

8. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

Perhaps this will give a stiffer feel for the tightly strung thicker string. I can see it as a good thing as a stiff string bed is good for precise control on shot direction.

9. dorysan

dorysan Regular Member

but it brakes the string faster...

10. maxp74

maxp74 Regular Member

Architect
    I have a feeling that my question might be impossible to answer. There is alot of factors involved in the feeling of a string, not just its thickness. You cant turn bg70 into bg66 just by adding more tension.

But I will give this some time and attention. I will tweek till I drop.:D

11. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

It may even be as easy as trying BG66 against another brand of string. This may give you the same control and better durability. I would look at Ashaway in the 0.68 to 0.70 region - Yonex string thickness numbers are based on string under tension, while Ash's are measured slack, so Ashaway will "play thinner" for a Yonex-adjusted person;).