Will My Racket Break Soon?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by jut703, Feb 27, 2010.

1. jut703

jut703 Regular Member

Hi guys. Recently I've had some really nasty collisions with my Armortec 900T. I attached some pics of the racket hits, which are on the 11 o'clock position of the racket. My question is, would it break soon? Would a simple mishit or clash break it?

Also, recently I've had a really bad stringing job, got my racket strung at 25 lbs. using BG66 three weeks ago and now it feels like its just at 20-21 lbs. So my question is, would it break if I have it strung at 25 lbs again? This time probably BG65 strings.

Thanks in advance. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. visor

visor Regular Member

That last pic don't look so good. :eek:
    You should be looking for a replacement real soon.

3. jut703

jut703 Regular Member

Oh no. I really don't have the budget for a new racket right now :(

Is it that bad? Would it break just by playing? Could I still have it restrung at 25 lbs?

4. Flexsis

Flexsis Regular Member

Student
    Don't play doubles LOL, and best to keep the tension below 24/23, 21-22:rolleyes:

5. jut703

jut703 Regular Member

In our club all games are doubles. But ever since I damaged my racket, I've been extra careful when playing doubles, whenever there's a shot that either me or my partner can get, I usually let my partner do it to avoid clashing. If we get caught up in the confusion I don't care, 1 point is not worth my racket.

Anyway, when I say 25 lbs I expect it to drop to around 23-24 after a week or so, seeing as a lot of stringers in my place don't string particularly well that the original tension holds very long. D'you guys think thats ok?

6. b.leung

b.leung Regular Member

buddy, i've seen rackets break with a lot less damage... so yours might go very soon...
    i've actually broken two rackets with no visible damage at all, so all i gotta say is be careful
    broken rackets are a hazard you and everyone else on the court(s)
    there are really nice brands with decent rackets for a good price, look into those
    good luck

7. jut703

jut703 Regular Member

But as long as I don't have a major clash, it's not likely to break right? I've been really careful nowadays. I've played around 10 hours since I damaged it and its still intact up to now.

8. Flexsis

Flexsis Regular Member

Student
    The racket looks like it hasn't exactly cracked inside yet, just outside, just avoid all clashes I guess, and don't smash that much or hard, there are other techniques right xD, saves you money :rolleyes:. But it is true that the racket can sometimes just break for no reason tho:(, quite dangerous too, lol, I saw a whole shaft+ head fly out of the handle towards the audience xD

9. jut703

jut703 Regular Member

In my 1.5 years of playing, I've seen perfectly fine rackets break because of a clash. Thankfully I've avoided that. What I'm bothered with now is that even when I'm just playing, as in without any strong clashes, unintentional taps with my partner's racket at the most, it's just gonna spontaneously crack through. With this kind of damage, is that gonna happen?

And assuming I'm gonna have it restrung soon, is it highly dangerous? As in should I be expecting that it's gonna break during the stringing process? :(

10. ixoye

ixoye Regular Member

Had a similar crack as the top photo on a Sotx racket, I could actually hear a cracking sound when hitting hard. Worked fine after a re-string at 24lbs. but suddenly broke during a game. No clash or hard hit, a simple drop shot killed it.

I think it'll be the same for you. Suggest you carry a backup whenever you play.

No budget for a new racket? How about used? I can sell you my Mizuno if you like.

11. visor

visor Regular Member

Heh, if you clash even lightly and break it, you can blame your partner right then, and maybe he'll feel bad and pay for half of it! :p

Your stringer would probably notice the crack on inspection, and will tell you he won't guarantee the string job nor the racket from cracking during stringing.

12. jut703

jut703 Regular Member

I don't happen to hear a cracking sound when I hit hard. Actually it plays perfectly fine if I don't think about the fact that it has a major gash on its head.

However, I've already considered the idea that I might not get a guarantee when having it restrung bec. it isn't in good condition anymore. Now I'm having a dilemma - stick with my 21 lbs. tension that feels too soft, or try to have it restrung at 24/25 lbs. with the risk of breaking it. Help? Is it highly likely that it'll break? :(

13. visor

visor Regular Member

If I were you, I would save the $ from the restringing job and put it towards a new racket... because it most likely will break when put thru the stringing process when the mains are first tightened, due to uneven tension on the frame.

14. jut703

jut703 Regular Member

A total restring job, BG65 + stringing fee, costs 300 Pesos, which is around 6 USD. I don't think I can find a decent racket around that price, nor is it a significant amount to add to my racket funds :(

15. bobbinbette

bobbinbette Regular Member

i've broken rackets with much less damage than that. even a relatively weak player could break that frame with a miss-timed smash. It damage looks very similar to a racket my friend had recently and it broke within 5 minutes of play. you really should start saving up for a new racket, or look around for a 2nd hand one. if you must restring it, i wouldn't go over 21lbs on a 6pt machine, even less on a 2pt one.

16. jut703

jut703 Regular Member

I guess I'll have to put restringing as a last resort. I'll deal with the low tension until I can find a replacement.

Or should I just stop playing altogether until I have a new one?

17. jut703

jut703 Regular Member

Ok I just realized I really won't have the funds to buy a new racket. Even an inexpensive non-Yonex one.

And I have varsity tryouts in the upcoming month, and to perform my best I need about 23-25 lbs. tension. Now I'm considering getting it strung again.

Anyone have a ballpark percentage figure of the success rate of having my current racket restrung?

18. ixoye

ixoye Regular Member

I say play it till it breaks. Hopefully, you'll have enough money by then. If not, then you stop. Make sense? ;)

19. ixoye

ixoye Regular Member

Tell you what, I'll lend you my Mizuno GP-8 for the tryout. It's strung at 24/25lbs., light stiff & head heavy.

20. jut703

jut703 Regular Member

Thanks so much for the kinds gesture ixoye. You're right, play til it breaks. Last night my game felt pretty good even if i was dealing with the lower tension. I guess I'll have it restrung once i start feeling awkward with it. If it breaks, then I'll worry.

My friend told me I've been worrying too much about the racket that it might affect my game already. And my life as well. I've been unusually anxious recently. Oh well.