do you use resistance bands ?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by charliebadders, Mar 2, 2010.

1. charliebadders

charliebadders Regular Member

student
    i was debating whether to buy a resistance band and was wondering if any bc members use them for their rotor cuff muscles like in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6MMD5L7498

the second exercise looks just like a backhand clear?
    are they worth buying?

Charlie

2. Carrots

Carrots Regular Member

Lifeguard in-training...?
    Hmm. It seems like an interesting investment, but the video specified Volleyball players. Although I think it's safe to say that there's no harm in trying, and your point with the backhand clear is valid.

3. bmsupport

bmsupport Regular Member

charlie I have come across this video a while back and it helped strengthen my cuff muscles

4. charliebadders

student
    yeah might aswell seeing as a band is only like £5 :p olso i've seen lots of tennis players use them for their rotorcuffs for strengthing their serve, and a tennis serve is simular to a smash apart from the empathsised wrist snap in badminton. :p

5. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Resistance band training is a good way to develop racket head speed.

Those exercises are similar to (some of) the ones I used when recovering from shoulder surgery.

In terms of improving badminton performance (assuming a healthy shoulder), I would recommend a movement that is more similar to the overhead hitting actions (forehand and backhand). This is the exercise that Yvette Yun Luo recommended at the England coaches' conference 2007, in a workshop about developing racket head speed.

#5 Gollum, Mar 3, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  6. charliebadders

student
    cheers :) might get it then because i have a big swing rather than a fast swing to create more power :p do you use it?

7. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

No, but only because I'm a lazy bum. ;)

Personally, what I should do first is improve the stability of my shoulder. Right now, my body isn't ready for performance-enhancing fitness; I need to walk before I can run. ;)

But if you already have good basic shoulder strength and stability, then it would be a good exercise. I have used it before, but my shoulder was in better shape back then.

8. david14700

david14700 Regular Member

I had shoulder pains for over 10 years before it was finally fixed through physiotherapy. The most important part of the therapy apart from the therapist manipulating my muscles was strengthening exercises using these bands. I did similar exercises to the ones in the video.

Basically, they not only help protect your elbow and shoulder, but also increase stability around the shoulder by strengthening the upper back muscles.

I have four different bands now (graded by different resistances) and I try to use them at least a couple of times a week. Takes a couple of minutes but makes a huge difference to your body.

9. charliebadders

student
    just wondering should i buy high or low tension? i'm thinking low tension because then you can practise speed, do you agree?

10. singnflip4life

singnflip4life Regular Member

Full Time Med Student
    If you are unused to the exercise, I'd say start with low resistance and go SLOWLY. One of the worst things is to develop a bad habit. If you get in the habit of doing it the wrong way, you won't be as efficient in strengthening and may even injure yourself. Low resistance allows you to build muscle memory much easier since you aren't struggling too much in the beginning.

When you have mastered the motions, start to go faster, and when it no longer provides a challenge, upgrade but continue to use the low resistance as a quick warm up. Just my 2 cents, passed along from several physical therapists and personal trainers.

11. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Hi Gollum could you please point out an example or a video on how to do the mentioned exercises with resistance bands?

Cheers