Weird stringing request

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by fishmilk, Mar 2, 2010.

1. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    So I have been handed the Toalson Synchro SN-6470 strings to string for a friend. These are hybrid strings in case anyone doesn't know.

So he told me that the mains should be the 0.70mm string and the cross should be the 0.64mm string. That seemed agreeable.

However, he baffled me saying that the mains should be strung at 25 lbs and the crosses at 23 lbs.

My instincts tell me his racquet will come out round as a balloon but he did specifically request it. Was it an honest mistake? Or does it have something to do with the thicker mains needing more tension to compensate and "match" the thinner crosses?

I'd like to hear everyone's input on this.

2. druss

druss Regular Member

What type of machine do you have? Is it 6 point or 2? Are you going to prestretch?

3. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    I have a Laserfibre/Stringway that's a constant pull hold down machine. I don't really prestretch because constant pull does a good job at minimizing tension loss, I just pre-stretch briefly to get the coil-memory out of the string.

Adding 10% on the crosses has always been solid in keeping the racquet's head shape. I've never tried even tension or the other way around but I'm fairly certain the racquet can still deform and most likely will come out like a circle if the strings were the same on the mains and crosses.

I don't know if them being different gauges would have an effect though.

4. druss

druss Regular Member

I've never used a hybrid string before but you're probably right in that the mains will stretch more do to the thicker strings.

You may want to have your friend there with you while you're stringing it just to be sure that it's what he wants and he sees what happens (if anything) once it comes off the machine.

I have heard of this reverse tension before, would not do it for my own rackets though.

5. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

The way I see it is that your client is attempting to obtain a similar or uniform feel from both the main and cross strings and since the cross string has a smaller diameter, he is using the "less tension on a thinner string will feel similar to a thicker string at higher tension" theory.

As for tensioning between the main and cross, I have asked for uniform tensions before and believe that as long as you mount the racquet and secure the frame properly, there should not be a need to add 10% more tension on the cross strings. Most of the tournament stringers do their stringing this way, if you search around their statements throughout the forum.

Although I really cannot say what may happen if you proceed with your current client's request. You are correct in the sense that the frame may be a little distorted but since it is just a small difference of two pounds, it may not be noticable. The best recommendation I can give is to just go forth and do uniform tension, meaning to give him 25lbs on both the cross and the mains. It will take quite a lot of prior experience to notice this difference ;)

6. Kiloo

Kiloo Regular Member

Engineer
    Did U ask him AGAIN about the specs to make double sure? If Yes then go ahead and take a few pix to show us how it came out too.

7. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    Seems like it was an honest mistake after all. I will do one of his racquets (he gave me 3) at even tension to see if he likes it better that way. Should I be doing 24x24 or 25x25 to get the closest stringbed tightness?