User Tag List

Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Danstevens View Post
    • Beginners using high end Yonex rackets but black soled trainers to play in
    Ditto. 100%. Especially if these shoes are dirty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beginners using high end Yonex rackets
    Omg I see that way to often...it get's worse when you talk to them about badminton all they do is comment on how good there racquet is in creaming the opposing side.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. Slippery courts
    2. Bad lighting (too dim, too bright, coming at wrong angle)
    3. Deteriorating longevity of shuttles
    4. Shuttles that are too fast/slow
    5. Rising cost of good shuttles
    6. Players with ego way bigger than their skill level permits
    7. Players who will rather leave their courts empty than to share it with others
    Hmm... that's a lot of grief...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Athelete1234 View Post
    Really?? I find it sometimes weird when sometimes a person thinks one racquet will make them miraculously better, and it makes a huge difference. Myself, I lean towards thinking that racquets dont' really matter. What about this belief irks you??
    IMHO, rackets do matter somewhat. Going from steel -> graphite, huge difference. This sort of reinforced the notion that higher priced rackets do matter. This somehow projects past the point of diminishing returns.

Some rackets are more suitable than others and it may not all be about performance. I have a ZELM which packs a serious punch. I still pick my Cab30 most of the time because I enjoy using it.

So I'm with you the Cab30 did not miraculously make me a better player. I did end up enjoying my game a lot more and am proportionally more serious about it.

Rackets do not make up for what's lacking in the technique. The right setup does enhance what you already have.

Quote Originally Posted by what07 View Post
    Omg I see that way to often...it get's worse when you talk to them about badminton all they do is comment on how good there racquet is in creaming the opposing side.
    That's why they(we) are beginners right?

Almost everyone I know looks to racket to improve their performance. They get a good boost going from basic steel rackets to graphite one-piece racket. It's hard for them not to wonder how much improvement the "top" racket will get them. Throwing money at problem is usually the easiest solution.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

expensive feather shuttlecocks
    questionable courts condition
    limited availability of courts
    lack of a badminton population, players to play with

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lack of girls playing = sausage fest ==> wish I played tennis instead

I also hate how people comment on how "easy" badminton is when they play backyard badminton.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by meteoflare View Post

I also hate how people comment on how "easy" badminton is when they play backyard badminton.
    I second to those two things!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by meteoflare View Post

LOL!
    And I agree

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i don't mind the costs, everything else is just a minor nuisance, what i hate most is the damage playing badminton does to your knees, shoulder, back, elbow etc ...
    this is a killer sport ....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-short life span of my strings(coz im a rough guy and my smashes usually breaks them)
    -beginners who dont appreciate their rackets no matter high end or low end

thats about it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Athelete1234 View Post
    Really?? I find it sometimes weird when sometimes a person thinks one racquet will make them miraculously better, and it makes a huge difference. Myself, I lean towards thinking that racquets dont' really matter. What about this belief irks you??
    That's a good point actually. I don't like it when people say gear doesn't matter at all because it obviously does. I will, without a shadow of a doubt, play better with a good racket than one of those aluminium ones that come in sets. OK, a beginner will probably play worse with an Arc10 than a decent beginners' racket but either way, gear matters - not just rackets, shoes, strings even grips to a certain extent matter. You play with some pretty decent rackets considering rackets don't really matter to you .

I must admit though (as in another point I made), seeing a beginner come on court with an AT700ltd, AT900, MP100, Arc10 or any other high end racket but without badminton shoes is equally annoying (if not more so) than people saying gear doesn't matter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes I agree there is a threshold to where equipment should not go, but in general, any decent racquet strung at a good tension will be okay, no matter which charactoristics. But hey, what works for me is great, what works for you is great as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my experience, equipment does make a difference but they come in this order of importance (excluding clothes - athletic clothes seem self-evident to me):

Shoes
    Grip
    String
    Racquet

So yes, it does annoy me when people reverse the order. I regularly play against a someone who used to compete Nationally. Whenever he breaks his strings, he just picks up a club racquet... and still destroys us. Think of it this way. I've always been told by my coach that when you break the sport down, footwork is the most important part of your game; even more important than your stroke. So shoes are number 1. As for everything else, it's a question of how you're getting to the shuttle. The grip is actually what you are in contact with, the string is actually what the shuttle is in contact with. The racquet itself is mostly a middling-piece. Obviously, still important but probably the last thing anyone should be concerned about as long as it's decent.

Think of the difference each makes if you DIDN'T have them. If I had good shoes, a great feeling grip, and BG 85 strings on a $30 racquet, I'm pretty sure I'd be just fine. If I had good shoes, a great feeling grip and dead strings on my NS 7700, I'd still probably be fine, but I'd notice some level of decline on my game. If I had good shoes, my NS 7700 with BG 85 strings but with a worn out, slippery, and factory grip, my shots will definitely experience a marked decline. Finally, if I had my ideal racquet but played in uncomfortable and slippery shoes, I'd probably suck. That's how I see it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The fact that you need another person to play.. so hard for me to get a consistent partner to train with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wristworks View Post
    In my experience, equipment does make a difference but they come in this order of importance (excluding clothes - athletic clothes seem self-evident to me):

Shoes
    Grip
    String
    Racquet

So yes, it does annoy me when people reverse the order. I regularly play against a someone who used to compete Nationally. Whenever he breaks his strings, he just picks up a club racquet... and still destroys us. Think of it this way. I've always been told by my coach that when you break the sport down, footwork is the most important part of your game; even more important than your stroke. So shoes are number 1. As for everything else, it's a question of how you're getting to the shuttle. The grip is actually what you are in contact with, the string is actually what the shuttle is in contact with. The racquet itself is mostly a middling-piece. Obviously, still important but probably the last thing anyone should be concerned about as long as it's decent.

Think of the difference each makes if you DIDN'T have them. If I had good shoes, a great feeling grip, and BG 85 strings on a $30 racquet, I'm pretty sure I'd be just fine. If I had good shoes, a great feeling grip and dead strings on my NS 7700, I'd still probably be fine, but I'd notice some level of decline on my game. If I had good shoes, my NS 7700 with BG 85 strings but with a worn out, slippery, and factory grip, my shots will definitely experience a marked decline. Finally, if I had my ideal racquet but played in uncomfortable and slippery shoes, I'd probably suck. That's how I see it.
    Hm..never really thought of it that way. I always would be grip last. My grip is old. Too lazy to change it, but I still am able to use it without any trouble. Mine goes Shoes, String, Racket, Grip.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does string really make that much difference? In what sense? I have Ti65 or whatever the most common one is; would it be worth changing up?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Destricto_Ense View Post
    Does string really make that much difference? In what sense? I have Ti65 or whatever the most common one is; would it be worth changing up?
    Strings and string tension can make a huge difference to your game. There is stickies aout string tension somewhere. but certain strings do have different charaecteristics so its good to experiment. How long have you had these strings. It probably would be worth changinng

Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast