User Tag List

Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The fact that badminton is not recognized as a serious sport in north America.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In no particular order...

1) The reliance on the opponent to judge line calls in our league matches.
    2) Poor lighting.
    3) People saying equipment is everything/irrelevant. If true I would ask them to play whilst sitting in the middle of the court or play with a steel bar wearing wooden clogs...
    4) Why I can't remember the score after a hard rally (Is this just me??!!)
    5) Why can't I be over 6 feet tall??
    6) More TV coverage at the expense of Darts, Snooker,Crown Green Bowling, Poker, Big Brother, anything Paris Hilton......
    Last edited by klc28; 02-15-2009 at 04:26 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Swingbadabada View Post
    Strings and string tension can make a huge difference to your game. There is stickies aout string tension somewhere. but certain strings do have different charaecteristics so its good to experiment. How long have you had these strings. It probably would be worth changinng
    Sorry for being offtopic everyone
    Had the factory strings for about 3 months now..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by weeyeh View Post
    IMHO, rackets do matter somewhat. Going from steel -> graphite, huge difference. This sort of reinforced the notion that higher priced rackets do matter. This somehow projects past the point of diminishing returns.

Some rackets are more suitable than others and it may not all be about performance. I have a ZELM which packs a serious punch. I still pick my Cab30 most of the time because I enjoy using it.

So I'm with you the Cab30 did not miraculously make me a better player. I did end up enjoying my game a lot more and am proportionally more serious about it.

Rackets do not make up for what's lacking in the technique. The right setup does enhance what you already have.
    I agree the point that some racket might be more comfortable than some other. But, I'll get straight to the point Any racket don't matter IMHO. It's just like getting used to. I used to say certain racket matter. But, yes when all my ISO Graphite racket strings (both) strangely broken in the about same time.

My only option is my Cab8. Which actually using a very cheap string (since I rarely play with it >.<). Several first hits, my power doesn't look like packing any punches. But, sooner I begin to get used to, and rock and roll time xD.

So, my conclusion is, actually you still can't win againts Lin Dan with a Blacken or a Carbonex old version. But, you will lose more points against Lin Dan with his lovely AT700.

What I hate about badminton :
    1. Tired after playing xD... While have to wake up 08.00 in the morning next day
    2. Bloody Shuttle Cock price -.-, Since I'm pretty consuming xD (I didn't ate them xD, my racket does lol)
    3. And, why did there are no PU grip that's as good as towel ... (Towel is another consuming thing T_T)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by K4mu1 View Post
    I agree the point that some racket might be more comfortable than some other. But, I'll get straight to the point Any racket don't matter IMHO. It's just like getting used to. I used to say certain racket matter. But, yes when all my ISO Graphite racket strings (both) strangely broken in the about same time.

My only option is my Cab8. Which actually using a very cheap string (since I rarely play with it >.<). Several first hits, my power doesn't look like packing any punches. But, sooner I begin to get used to, and rock and roll time xD.

So, my conclusion is, actually you still can't win againts Lin Dan with a Blacken or a Carbonex old version. But, you will lose more points against Lin Dan with his lovely AT700.

What I hate about badminton :
    1. Tired after playing xD... While have to wake up 08.00 in the morning next day
    2. Bloody Shuttle Cock price -.-, Since I'm pretty consuming xD (I didn't ate them xD, my racket does lol)
    3. And, why did there are no PU grip that's as good as towel ... (Towel is another consuming thing T_T)
    I would say LD would trash you with any racquet cause he doesnt' need his jump smash or fancy strokes to destroy, just clear and dropshots, and the fastest footwork on earth, and he's set to take out the trash.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default My pet hates

Lack of competitive play. Where I live you only get to play competitively around 4 times a year for my age group. If you want to play more you need to travel interstate. In my old university days we get to play inter club every week. Things seems to be going down hill.
    Also lack of single play. It don't worry me much as I don't play singles but my son does and I don't see how anyone can can improve in singles if you don't get the chance to play it regularly except in training which only happens twice a week which is not the norm where I live. I just happen to be able to arrange for extra training for him.
    The clubs here are so crowded that they cannot allow single plays.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LACK OF SAME LEVEL PLAY.
    sometimes you have waited along the week, then when it come to play.
    You have to play with someone below your grade/skill.
    Result, not much sweat came out.
    Last edited by h4n5ip; 02-15-2009 at 10:36 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by h4n5ip View Post
    LACK OF SAME LEVEL PLAY.
    sometimes you have waited along the week, then when it come to play.
    You have to play with someone below your grade/skill.
    Result, not much sweat came out.
    Yes that happens at our club as well. Its ok if you play one or two match where you are playing below your grade, its only fair to the other players, but it sucks when you get caught playing lower level players the whole night through.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Athelete1234 View Post
    I would say LD would trash you with any racquet cause he doesnt' need his jump smash or fancy strokes to destroy, just clear and dropshots, and the fastest footwork on earth, and he's set to take out the trash.
    Okay... I took the wrong example ~_~... But yep, I think the equipment priority is different for all of us. But, I'd say the best equipment for you (us) is the most comfortable for us.

So, I'd say I'll eliminate the part where any equipment play a part for someone. There are a lot of people I've seen (since I'm still on Elementary and joined a club), who loves to play BAREFOOT (Very very dangerous, don't try this at home fellas xD), Using a broken racket, and being fixed (certain ring for non graphite racket), using leftover string (combination of BG68Ti, NBG95, BG66, BG6, etc) based on the leftover available. And..... Using a PU grip that is so old, that we can no longer see the pattern.

Yet, I can't beat the people I mentioned there, since they're used to those condition. So, I believe this condition of equipment, is based on you. Are used to your equipment?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I personally hate the fact that people call badminton easy and weak (crude reasoning due to the weight of badminton equipment) and the high cost of stringing a racket at where I play (I think it's $15 for labor alone)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay... I took the wrong example ~_~... But yep, I think the equipment priority is different for all of us. But, I'd say the best equipment for you (us) is the most comfortable for us.

So, I'd say I'll eliminate the part where any equipment play a part for someone. There are a lot of people I've seen (since I'm still on Elementary and joined a club), who loves to play BAREFOOT (Very very dangerous, don't try this at home fellas xD), Using a broken racket, and being fixed (certain ring for non graphite racket), using leftover string (combination of BG68Ti, NBG95, BG66, BG6, etc) based on the leftover available. And..... Using a PU grip that is so old, that we can no longer see the pattern.

Yet, I can't beat the people I mentioned there, since they're used to those condition. So, I believe this condition of equipment, is based on you. Are used to your equipment?
    Wahahahah, you know, I played barefoot for several years, and still could beat people with full gear.

I hate the most is I cannot play often enough sigh...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any racket don't matter IMHO.
    Technically, the only way I can lose any more points to LD is if I drag him to a rubber. Let's just leave it as an impossiblility. I reckon you really meant I will fare worse if he uses his AT700 instead of an old Cab or Blacken. Your example in fact concludes that rackets do matter at least for LD.

Why is LD always in the picture when we discuss rackets. Most of us do not play LD often enough for it to be a factor over our equipment choice. If I get to play him, I want to get my ass wiped by him playing his best instead of handicapping him with a tennis racket.

Realistically, I play with regular unranked folks. My choice of equipment matters but only to my enjoyment of the game. Fortunately for me, my choice racket is not the most expensive nor fragile, but it's becoming increasingly rare .

But, I'd say the best equipment for you (us) is the most comfortable for us.
    Indeed, that's exactly the case.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(1) Have to work when there's a badminton session
    (2) Don't get good and challenging games
    (3) Have to deal with players who love to boast about their skills
    (4) Losing
    (5) Have to partner a player who keeps blaming you for his and your mistakes
    (6) Have to listen to a 'Mr Know It All' player
    (7) Players who claim that they are super good when in actual fact they suck big time!
    (8) Players who string their racquet beyond their capability
    (9) Players who wanna play only with good players
    (10) Players who blame everything and everybody except for themselves

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TNBRE View Post
    I personally hate the fact that people call badminton easy and weak (crude reasoning due to the weight of badminton equipment) and the high cost of stringing a racket at where I play (I think it's $15 for labor alone)
    I think it's partly because the pros make playing the shots look so effortless; people don't appreciate the technique, stamina and training that goes into becoming a good player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lynx101 View Post
    I think it's partly because the pros make playing the shots look so effortless; people don't appreciate the technique, stamina and training that goes into becoming a good player.
    Hah... maybe we should get FHF to do those Williams shrieks when he smashes. That's beef up the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shuttlers without Sportsmanship! This makes me feel irk the most!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by meteoflare View Post
    lack of girls playing = sausage fest ==> wish I played tennis instead
    Haha! I just started playing Tennis again. Partly because I just realised this !

The cost of feather shuttles is probably the biggest for me. I can't stand switching between plastic and feather. So I've decided to avoid plastic at all costs. Unfortunately those costs are quite high .

That and how incredibly difficult it is to get a casual non-club game going around here. The cost to book a decent hall for an hour or so is ridiculous. As we obviously can't book individual courts... And that same cost has killed off most of the actual clubs here too. My favourite club was killed off when my own school put up the hall prices by 350%!! From $10 to $35 an hour per hall. We required both of the gym halls. Which made it $70 an hour. We played for 2-3 hours every Friday. You can probably see why our poor club didn't stand a chance...

Also I think I'd like to hand people a racquet strung at a very high tension. And then ask them how easy it is .
    Last edited by phaarix; 02-16-2009 at 08:43 AM.

Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast