User Tag List

Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast
Results 239 to 255 of 470
  1. #239
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Plymouth UK
    Posts
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I've just thought of another one!

    I hate players that have the best footwear, the best racket in the world, the most expensive t-shirt, socks, and technologically advanced shorts/underwear. They normally look like a Yonex sales representative has vomited all over them.

    Then you see them on court and they are absolutely dire. When the next brilliant racket comes out they buy it in the hope that they'll suddenly become a world class player. One of these guys came up to me the other day and said "what racket should I get to make my shots more accurate and powerful?" I said "Don't buy any more rackets, spend the money on coaching, A good racket makes up about 5% of your game, a good grip gets you another 5%, good strings another 5%, good footwear 10%, coaching will get you the other 75%, you're putting your money in the wrong place".

    He didn't look very happy. I don't care though, I have a tendency to tell it how it is.

  2. #240
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    UK, England
    Posts
    32
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    One thing that I really, really dislike about badminton is ĎThe Elitists vs The Beginnersí. Thereís a lot to rant on about this one topic only, but Iíll start off by saying that I think itís cruel when the better player gives off obvious ĎI-donít-want-to-play-with-youí body language and attitude. And then when theyíre on court, they look really bored, keep getting distracted by their mates and just effortlessly beat the beginner, whilst the beginner is getting all flustered and getting no help whatsoever. I can understand why people donít want to play people below their level. Itís not much fun, but they could at least keep those feelings inside themselves instead of displaying it for all to see. I think they forget that they were once an inexperienced beginner too.

    In my opinion, I think that they should just put up with one tiny match against a beginner once in a while and be patient with them, because if people play against positive people their confidence and skills increase. However if you play against narky, selfish players you really lose your confidence and you donít gain any skills from that game, therefore you canít improve.

    Just last week, I had to play against two elite adults and one of the adultís sons, who is younger than me yet a county player Ė they asked me for a game, they werenít told to. Iím young too (like in my teens) and I only started playing in September so it was quite unnerving. All I can say is that, at the end of the game I felt really depressed because my inexperience stuck out like a red thumb compared to the elites and I felt mocked by their comments - ĎOhhh, she wasnít readyí and ĎOh, play gently with herí. Iím sure they didnít mean it, because they said it in a joking way, but it still hurt my feelings. Worse yet, they challenged me to another game right afterwards and I stupidly said yes, only to have the same embarrassing scene replayed right before me. I can tell you that that was the worst club night Iíve ever had, and that I donít want to play with that bunch again till I get better.

  3. #241
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Plymouth UK
    Posts
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Aeries,

    If people are being like that towards you it sounds like you should change your club!

    Some people are like that, there will always be people like that in any sport. Obviously if these guys with attitude are in a minority, just try not to play with them to much.

  4. #242
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    New York, US
    Posts
    10,283
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aeries View Post
    One thing that I really, really dislike about badminton is ĎThe Elitists vs The Beginnersí. Thereís a lot to rant on about this one topic only, but Iíll start off by saying that I think itís cruel when the better player gives off obvious ĎI-donít-want-to-play-with-youí body language and attitude. And then when theyíre on court, they look really bored, keep getting distracted by their mates and just effortlessly beat the beginner, whilst the beginner is getting all flustered and getting no help whatsoever. I can understand why people donít want to play people below their level. Itís not much fun, but they could at least keep those feelings inside themselves instead of displaying it for all to see. I think they forget that they were once an inexperienced beginner too.

    In my opinion, I think that they should just put up with one tiny match against a beginner once in a while and be patient with them, because if people play against positive people their confidence and skills increase. However if you play against narky, selfish players you really lose your confidence and you donít gain any skills from that game, therefore you canít improve.

    Just last week, I had to play against two elite adults and one of the adultís sons, who is younger than me yet a county player Ė they asked me for a game, they werenít told to. Iím young too (like in my teens) and I only started playing in September so it was quite unnerving. All I can say is that, at the end of the game I felt really depressed because my inexperience stuck out like a red thumb compared to the elites and I felt mocked by their comments - ĎOhhh, she wasnít readyí and ĎOh, play gently with herí. Iím sure they didnít mean it, because they said it in a joking way, but it still hurt my feelings. Worse yet, they challenged me to another game right afterwards and I stupidly said yes, only to have the same embarrassing scene replayed right before me. I can tell you that that was the worst club night Iíve ever had, and that I donít want to play with that bunch again till I get better.

    I understand your situation, and myself is not an eilte to begin with. However, I think we should take an incident from both sides:

    1. You stated that you understand why elites "look bored", and may simply refuse to play. Then, you complain about the elites to invite you to play mult. games. So, what you want them to do? They either play or not play, but you pretty much said "no good" to either case.

    2. Yes, it's tough to be the rookie. However, the elites can not be "Mr. nice guy" every single time, either. They paid their fees, and they have their rights to get meaningful games. My local clubs charge as much as US$25 per drop-in session (yes, it's in New York ). So, you tell me the elites paying an arm and leg, just to go to baby sitting others? Of course, they have their rights to say "no". Sure, it may hurt others' feeling, but they have the rights to voice their own concerns, right?

    3. Unless I read it wrong, seems you got upset during the session, mainly toward your own performance. So, I do not think that's wrong with the elites. Actually, I think they are being nice, to invite you for another game, despite the fact that you are not at their level. If you do not want the 2nd game, you have every rights to say no. If you are having a hard time to get the proper level of competition within the club (be it too high or too low), you should voice the concern to the management. If there's no solution within the club, then it's your time to switch to another one.

    4. No offense, by reading your story, I think some how that you are a little bit over competitive, and judge yourself and others around a bit too harsh. Learning this sport is like learning everything else, it takes time and effort. There's no shame to be in the lower tier, especially you started just a few months ago. Over pushing yourself, and others around, will kill all the fun, which totally miss the meaning to participate.

  5. #243
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,272
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Oooh I just remembered!!! I don't like players who, when you play doubles with them, have no idea you're on the same court so they run around, take your shots, and clash lots too. I almost got killed by some guy like that yesterday!!

    @Aeries, I think it's a fact that people just like to play with others around the skill level to make it more exciting. An example is from yesterday, I was playing doubles with a mediocre player vs a strong player and an absolute beginning. My partner, just went around smashing and killing everything, obviously alienating the opposing beginner. I instead tried to just clear to them, push them around the court, and keep the rallies going, so they can at least experience some badminton. When I wanted a rally going, I just played to the stronger opponent.

  6. #244
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Australia, Brisbane
    Posts
    744
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Athelete1234 View Post
    Oooh I just remembered!!! I don't like players who, when you play doubles with them, have no idea you're on the same court so they run around, take your shots, and clash lots too. I almost got killed by some guy like that yesterday!!

    @Aeries, I think it's a fact that people just like to play with others around the skill level to make it more exciting. An example is from yesterday, I was playing doubles with a mediocre player vs a strong player and an absolute beginning. My partner, just went around smashing and killing everything, obviously alienating the opposing beginner. I instead tried to just clear to them, push them around the court, and keep the rallies going, so they can at least experience some badminton. When I wanted a rally going, I just played to the stronger opponent.
    yeh i pretty much do this....as boring and pointless as some of the begginner games i have to play are, i still try to make it interesting for them. Lots of clears and simple shots that they can get to in order to keep it alive. Then throw in a big jumpsmash to kill the point once in awhile and they all go "wahhhhhhhhhhh".

    haha good times

  7. #245
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Alberta/Canada
    Posts
    1,058
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    This is something I witness yesterday at my local recreational club.

    In a doubles game, this one guy tends to do forehand slice serve(which quite frankly is as stupid as anything possible), then during his full swing, he hit his partner's racket(whom is standing behind just a bit close to him), then the server blamed his partner for standing too close. His partner had the "WTF" look on his face.

  8. #246
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    UK, England
    Posts
    32
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Sandmandj,

    Thank you for your advice The reason why i'm currently at these sessions is because the junior club has finished for the summer and won't start again till September, so our coach recommended that we go to the clubs senior sessions for the time being if we wanted to. Anyway, i'll just let go of what happened last week and play with people who are more my level of ability - besides, it's only till september.


    Lazybuddy,

    The reason why i complained about the game i had with the elites is because of their attitude towards my inexperience during the game. They invited me for a game after watching me play well in a doubles game, and i think once they realised that mixed doubles wasn't my strongest point they turned a little sullen with me. Basically, i think there is no reason to put on a disdainful attitude when playing with beginners - just be polite even though it's boring, it's only one small game

    I understand why elites don't want to play with the beginners. However, our club nights are only £1 for club members, and £3 for non-club members, club times on from 7:30-10 in the evening and people of all levels of play attend, so if the elites want to play people their level only - tough, because that club night is open to those of all abilities. Besides, it's not as if they're paying an arm and a leg to join in.

    I was disappointed by my performance. I don't fare very well in mixed doubles But like i said before, it was mainly the people who i played with disheartened me by their attitudes. Perhaps they were trying to be nice so they invited me for a second game, but they still made the same narky comments throughout that game too. No, there are people of my level of play there so i'm ok.

    Haha, over competetive? Nah, i don't consider myself so. Of course, all sports are competetive, and i do get competetive when it's tournaments or if i'm playing against very equal opponents, but i don't consider myself too competetive, like 'I must win this game and prove that i'm great, i have to!' I only play for the exercise and fun, and i'm not ashamed of being a beginner either, because everyone was once a beginner so we're all in the same boat in a way

    Athelete1234,

    I think the way you played against the beginner was fair, because like you said, you kept the rallies going whilst moving the beginner around the court therefore helping them learn the sport, instead of face smashing them and draining away their confidence. And when you wanted a proper rally you played the stronger player. I wish more people were like this

    Also, i have played with two inviduals like that too, jumping all over the court like a frog and whacking the shuttle, regardless if it's on your side of the court or theirs. It's particularly annoying when you're just about to hit the birdie when a racket out of no where flies in front of your face and whacks the birdie instead. One day they're going to hurt someone or break their racket.

    Haha, sorry for the long post.

  9. #247
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    TW, SG, HK
    Posts
    7,314
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    the thing I hate about badminton



    Cheats !!

    However luckily there aren't many

  10. #248
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    New York, US
    Posts
    10,283
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LazyBuddy View Post
    I understand your situation, and myself is not an eilte to begin with. However, I think we should take an incident from both sides:

    1. You stated that you understand why elites "look bored", and may simply refuse to play. Then, you complain about the elites to invite you to play mult. games. So, what you want them to do? They either play or not play, but you pretty much said "no good" to either case.

    2. Yes, it's tough to be the rookie. However, the elites can not be "Mr. nice guy" every single time, either. They paid their fees, and they have their rights to get meaningful games. My local clubs charge as much as US$25 per drop-in session (yes, it's in New York ). So, you tell me the elites paying an arm and leg, just to go to baby sitting others? Of course, they have their rights to say "no". Sure, it may hurt others' feeling, but they have the rights to voice their own concerns, right?

    3. Unless I read it wrong, seems you got upset during the session, mainly toward your own performance. So, I do not think that's wrong with the elites. Actually, I think they are being nice, to invite you for another game, despite the fact that you are not at their level. If you do not want the 2nd game, you have every rights to say no. If you are having a hard time to get the proper level of competition within the club (be it too high or too low), you should voice the concern to the management. If there's no solution within the club, then it's your time to switch to another one.

    4. No offense, by reading your story, I think some how that you are a little bit over competitive, and judge yourself and others around a bit too harsh. Learning this sport is like learning everything else, it takes time and effort. There's no shame to be in the lower tier, especially you started just a few months ago. Over pushing yourself, and others around, will kill all the fun, which totally miss the meaning to participate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeries View Post

    Lazybuddy,

    The reason why i complained about the game i had with the elites is because of their attitude towards my inexperience during the game. They invited me for a game after watching me play well in a doubles game, and i think once they realised that mixed doubles wasn't my strongest point they turned a little sullen with me. Basically, i think there is no reason to put on a disdainful attitude when playing with beginners - just be polite even though it's boring, it's only one small game

    I understand why elites don't want to play with the beginners. However, our club nights are only £1 for club members, and £3 for non-club members, club times on from 7:30-10 in the evening and people of all levels of play attend, so if the elites want to play people their level only - tough, because that club night is open to those of all abilities. Besides, it's not as if they're paying an arm and a leg to join in.

    I was disappointed by my performance. I don't fare very well in mixed doubles But like i said before, it was mainly the people who i played with disheartened me by their attitudes. Perhaps they were trying to be nice so they invited me for a second game, but they still made the same narky comments throughout that game too. No, there are people of my level of play there so i'm ok.

    Haha, over competetive? Nah, i don't consider myself so. Of course, all sports are competetive, and i do get competetive when it's tournaments or if i'm playing against very equal opponents, but i don't consider myself too competetive, like 'I must win this game and prove that i'm great, i have to!' I only play for the exercise and fun, and i'm not ashamed of being a beginner either, because everyone was once a beginner so we're all in the same boat in a way
    I am not here to start a debate here, and myself is nowhere near an elite. However, I still do not see you answered any questions regarding my post #1 and partially #2

    1. If you are the elite, what you want to do? Play the game (but you will be blamed for being bored, so you have to lie or act?, or dont not even play (then you will be blamed for being rude). Seriously, tell me what you will do. And please, I do not believe everyone has (or can be) "Mr. Nice guy" every single time.

    2. Good for you, you do not have to pay a lot to play. However, is that mean the elites should come and baby sitting everyone? They come to have fun, but not to make everyone else smile at the same time. You said it's tough for them, as the club open for all levels, but ask yourself the same question, "it's tough for you, as you played with the wrong group". Especially for the 2nd game.

    3. To join a club is to make friends. For whatever reason you do not feel comfortable with certain others, stay away. There's no point to "try to be part of it", then "feel getting hurt" afterward.

    4. Seriously, I think you take the comments way too seriously. I think they are mostly just joking. If they really do not like the game, I am sure they can simply play others, but they are nice enough to come back and invite you again.

  11. #249
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    i enjoy badminton alot...the only complain is the shuttle cock...it breaks so fast

  12. #250
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    UK, England
    Posts
    32
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LazyBuddy View Post
    I am not here to start a debate here, and myself is nowhere near an elite. However, I still do not see you answered any questions regarding my post #1 and partially #2

    1. If you are the elite, what you want to do? Play the game (but you will be blamed for being bored, so you have to lie or act?, or dont not even play (then you will be blamed for being rude). Seriously, tell me what you will do. And please, I do not believe everyone has (or can be) "Mr. Nice guy" every single time.

    2. Good for you, you do not have to pay a lot to play. However, is that mean the elites should come and baby sitting everyone? They come to have fun, but not to make everyone else smile at the same time. You said it's tough for them, as the club open for all levels, but ask yourself the same question, "it's tough for you, as you played with the wrong group". Especially for the 2nd game.

    3. To join a club is to make friends. For whatever reason you do not feel comfortable with certain others, stay away. There's no point to "try to be part of it", then "feel getting hurt" afterward.

    4. Seriously, I think you take the comments way too seriously. I think they are mostly just joking. If they really do not like the game, I am sure they can simply play others, but they are nice enough to come back and invite you again.
    If i were an elite, then i would simply be polite and play the game - there's no cost to being polite. Afterwards i could play people more of my level. My friend started playing badminton in february after much persuading by me. She liked the sport, and continued going. Seeing as i was 6 months ahead of her in experience, i had to be patient when playing with her every lesson. But now it's may, she is coming along to be a fine player and is catching me up! If i showed my boredom back then, she probably wouldn't be playing now and enjoying the sport i love talking about. So personally, i think it's important to be polite and patient, but unfortuanetly not everyone is like that, as you stated.

    I'm not asking for the elites to babysit the beginners and always help them, but only to be polite. You say that the elites go there for fun which yes, they do, but then how is it fun to make narky comments at an inexperienced player? They should just accept that not everyone is good as they are. Yes, i have learnt from the mistake i made of agreeing for a second game, and i'll heed that advice

    You have made a point there about them being nice enough to invite me for a second game now, so i've let go of the comments they made to me. Two/three individuals will not put me off going back to that club, because generally it is good there Next time they ask me for a game i'll politely decline.

  13. #251
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    New York, US
    Posts
    10,283
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Enjoy the game, enjoy the time spent with ppl who you feel comfortable with. If there's a minor incident, let it go, and look at it from the positive perspective. We go there to have fun, not to be pissed off. There are always great ppl, and always have some jerks. So, have fun, keep smiling, and happy smashing.

  14. #252
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Paris
    Posts
    31
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    People who laughs at you when you say that you play badminton (girly sport etc).
    It's like racism (ignorance + stupidity) and it kinda hurts especially from friends.
    There's nothing wrong with ppl buying best stuffs. It's better to spend money in sportgears than drugs and alcoohol. I have an MP99 and arcsaber 10 and I dont play that good and I like these 2 rackets so what?

  15. #253
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    TW, SG, HK
    Posts
    7,314
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I have thought of something however this is more sad

    People who betray you and let you down

  16. #254
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Paris
    Posts
    31
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    betray? You mean like when playing men double, your partner changes side and play 3vs1?

  17. #255
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    TW, SG, HK
    Posts
    7,314
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    no what I mean is you prepare for a tournament for one month with a partner and then without warning even after all the forms have been handed in
    On the day of the tournament your partner turns around and says "look, I don't want to play with you anymore... I am playing with another guy" on the day of the tournament
    Last edited by LD rules!; 05-17-2009 at 02:41 PM.

Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. WTS : Badminton things for sales
    By Rongjun in forum Buy & Sell - Read the rules sticky before you post
    Replies: 2
    : 11-23-2009, 11:24 PM
  2. Unethical things to do in badminton
    By Carbonlist in forum General Forum
    Replies: 27
    : 03-10-2009, 05:20 PM
  3. Things you like about badminton!
    By darkaznboi333 in forum General Forum
    Replies: 28
    : 11-30-2007, 08:21 PM
  4. I hate the Canadian badminton market...
    By tingc222 in forum Market Place
    Replies: 95
    : 03-13-2007, 10:57 PM
  5. Things you like about badminton!
    By shawntn in forum General Forum
    Replies: 12
    : 04-24-2004, 06:13 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •