Things you hate about badminton!

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Wizbit, Dec 14, 2002.

1. Wizbit

Wizbit Regular Member

Testing ladie's lingerie
    Version 1

Hi, here is a list of the current things that are irritating me and makes me go red with fury (no offense is intended), and with or without reason :

I hate people who judge what kind of player you are by the rackets you use.

I hate people with exagerate serving stance and action (like hold shuttle behind back for 5 seconds before serving. Everytime. Why???)

I hate "posh" badminton clubs in UK with an elitist attitude, who do not allow "normal", or lower class people (in their eyes) to play with them by charging an unbelievably extortionate high membership fee (Hundreds of pounds per month!)

I hate badminton clubs (and people) who THINK they are elitist and that badminton was designed for their sporting needs.

People who deliberately do not shake hands with you after a match (regardless win or lose).

People who leave the shuttle on the floor after the point was played and won. Forcing either their opponents to cross under the net and pass it back, or their partner to pick it up.

People who call every opponent's shot "out" if it lands anywhere near a line.

People who sling shots or hit twice and do not call. Sometimes they even demand to play a let if the rally is stopped.

People who try to repeatedly AND deliberately smash in your face (they shout YES, and clinch fist everytime it works).

People who stare at the racket everytime they lose a point (I used to do it, but now I stopped cos I consciously know how silly it is).

People with ungraceful shots, especially "tennis" style huge backhand drives. In fact, all people who play with terrible technique and still get away with it.

People who shout and scream every rally to put their opponent off.

People who mess with the shuttle before serving.

People who refuse to allow you to warm up and start playing games immediately.

People who refuse to "knock up" with you or play a friendly. For the people who reply when asked, usual excuses are they are injured - and then go on to play the next match as soon as other people are available, say they are resting or waiting for another match. Worse is people who say it is boring so no. Worst is people who pretend you are not there and can't hear you. They just stare into blank space! *******

People who try to lecture you when they are not very good themselves.

Ladies who just stand at the front during mixed and do nothing, expecting the male to get every point back. They just wait for the easy net kill!

People who do not try.

People who ignore the "pick from the first 6 or 8 people on the list" for club matches, so they can play whoever they like whenever. For instance, there are 4 courts, 20 players all playing doubles. 4 x 4 = 16 people on court with 4 people waiting. The rule of the club is you pick 4 from the first 6 people available, the person in the front of the queue picks first. I am second on the queue.

A B X X X X X X X X X X X X X X Y Y Y Y

where A represents person picking, B is me, X is people who came off, Y is the last to come off courts.

A picks a team A, X, X, Y!

The list is not accurate as these people come off at different times, but you get the picture...

This doesn't always happen to me but it does happen, and to other players to (usually beginners), who are put off and never come back. Where is the new talent meant to come from? When the current players go (they are all old anyway) where is the people to fill them in? No wonder badminton is such an unpopular sport.

What do you hate about the game and the people who play it? My main criticism is of prejudice, racism and dishonestly. By the way, I am talking from a UK perspective.

Slanter, Dlb and other UK people care to comment?

whatAHassle likes this.
  2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
  3. Stalker

Stalker Regular Member

two things i hate:

its not that much of a famous sport. (example: there are more tennis courts than badminton courts and less people play badminton.)

people think its a dumb easy backyard sport and dont see the professional level of badminton where world class athletes train as hard as hell.

4. Wizbit

Wizbit Regular Member

Testing ladie's lingerie
    I think there are more badminton courts than indoor tennis courts..but even including outdoor courts I don't think the difference is that great? There certainly aren't enough to go around in a typical town anyway.

The best I have seen in a public facility is at a sports complex in Wolverhampton, called Aldersley village and they can cram in 12 badminton courts!! but usually only 6 are available, the rest are reserved for footboor, hockey, trampolining, whatever.

The courts are spacious and the ceiling is high, but the lights are bright and look down directly at the courts.

It occured to me that I was trying to make several points about badminton. One of them is about badminton being an elitist sport and the snobbery that goes with it.

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    things i hate about badminton?

it is SO DAMN DIFFICULT to play!!

6. wind rider

wind rider Regular Member

Student
    1.) Rackets are too expensive
    2.) distracts me from my work

7. viver

viver Regular Member

Not enough (almost none) TV coverage. Here in Canada can't watch top level badminton anymore!!! :mad:

8. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Hi,

There are many things that pee me off in badminton, here they are in no particular order....

1. People who take the game to the extreme on club nights (when the standard is lousy anyway) and shout 'C'MON!' and clench the fist. What a nob, it's only a club night, but i cant help to laugh :).
    2. Clubs that use NASA shuttles, where you flick serve them and they burn up on re-entry because the are so fast.
    3. People who moan when fast shuttles are tipped. Why not get some decent speed shuttles?
    4. When knocking up, the opponent gives you a totaly crap shuttle, why they get to knock up with a brand new one.
    5. Those who think they are a cut above the rest.
    6. Slippery floors, where you lunge for a drop and your feet are taken away from you because its so dirty.
    7. Playing with beginners. Now, i know this sounds harsh, and alot of people will probably disagree with me on this one. But i play at a high standard, and because i have played so many competitions there is a line between playing to enjoy yourself and playing to win. When a total beginner plays with me, i get so frustrated because the can't hit it or play. Yes, i know it sounds harsh, but it is the way i am, and f i want to get to a higher standard then i have to play with and against better players.
    8. The fact there is so little coverage on TV.
    9. The fact people think Yonex are the be all and end of all badminton makes. They're not, try some others, you'll be surprised :).
    10. Those who call dodgy line calls (be it in or out)

Matt

9. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

Cheaper than motorcycle racing... cost of track time for one hour is more than 2 MP100s with bag and string. And that's not even including insurance (over $100 a day i think), pit crew, bike certification (needs to be done every raceday), and bike.

All things considered, it's pretty cheap to play badminton at a high level.

10. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    People who complain about how much they hate certain aspect of the game. Just go out and play, have fun, who cares. :D

11. Wizbit

Wizbit Regular Member

Testing ladie's lingerie
    JWU, just because it doesn't happen in your area doesn't mean it won't happen anywhere else. Look at Sept 11 is the best example.

When all these factors are constantly there, you can never enjoy the game. Heck you can't even have a game cos no one lets you on but they are happy to take your money, if only to buy more beers down the pub!

Imagine if you have a nice fast sports car. I take away the wheels and replace them with bricks. I take out your engine and put in a lawn mower engine. I tie your car up and suspend it on chains so it can't move, where is the fun in that? opposed to a car with no limits..

12. wind rider

wind rider Regular Member

Student
    enught already on what we hate...
    lets talk about what we love about badminton

1.) Good exercise keeps me fit
    2.) made lots of good friends playing badminton
    3.) good past time for me
    4.) a good way to get rid of your anger after a bad day, smash smash and SMASH!
    5.) give me an extra topic to talk about with my friends
    6.) showed how a stupid sport tennis is
    7.) showed be how a boring sport squash is
    8.) a sport which does not take race,gender and age in account

it will take at least 3pages to tell you all why i love badminton :D :D

in conclusion: BADMINTON RULES!! :D

13. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

And how wrong they are. There's a guy at my club who uses Yonex Iso 25... it's all steel, and probably the cheapest one yonex makes. He can play better than half the club, many of whom are using racquets that cost 5-10 times more. I doubt serious badminton players judge by the racquet. Footwork is a much better determination of skill level.

There are few clubs here like that too. They don't care about me, I don't care about them. Works out nicely. Some people like that sort of thing, so we shouldn't critize them for who they cater to.
    That's not too common in my experience... my hands are usually pretty sweaty and nasty after a game :eek:. People still shake hands nearly everytime. They sometimes quickly pull their hand away after though if i forget to wipe the sweat :eek:. Sounds like the people you've been playing with are assess. (BTW Kwun, are we allowed to say ass on this board?)
    That's pretty disrespectful of them. Is this during competition or club night? In the clubs i've been with, non-competitve clubs btw, both sides usually walk to the shuttle and stand there looking confused because no one is sure which side is going to pickup the shuttle first.
    Need I mention Korea?
    I used to do that too. Now, I pretend to check my string tension while I stare, so it's not as silly :D. Anyone know why we even do this? I think I started when I noticed everyone else did... i just picked up this habit unconsciously. Weird.
    Whats the difference? Aside from a little more wrist, aren't they the same?
    Some people like to warm up by playing a game. I am one of them. I very slow game of course. It's a little more productive than standing still and clearing to each other for 10 minutes.
    Advice isn't bad just because it came from a bad player. I think the substance of the advice is more important than who it comes from. If they have no idea what they are talking about though, that's different.
    Maybe that's just how they've always been treated? I know some guys who, when playing mixed, will try to get every shot, thinking that that the girl has no skills whatsoever. Afterawhile, the girls just get used to this kind of thing. I've playing a few games with an agressive girl as my partner. She "ran" to all the shots for the game, so there was nothing I could do except stand there and stare at the floor :eek:.
    [/b][/quote]

14. Wizbit

Wizbit Regular Member

Testing ladie's lingerie
    badminton rules..

Hey Windrider, start your own thread on why badminton rules :p this one is about what you HATE about badminton ok! ;)

Yeah these people are arses, the fact that they are not even all that good makes them stand out particularly...

Arses for heads with the relevant material to come out of it..poo that is..

People who play UNGRACEFUL shots as opposed to elegant flowing strokes which produce the same power. How many times have you pushed a shuttle into the far back hand court of the opponent, and then watch him drive it back with a backhand at full swipe. All I have to do is stick my racket out and flick it cross court..

LOL

It doesn't matter how much you communicate your wish for some more effort or a change of tactics, this is "how they play mixed doubles" - apparently...that is what they are supposed to do - apparently...and we should stick to it....yea right, over my ded body

15. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I just finished a tournament with only 6 men's doubles pairs participating, so the organizer changed the format from a 2-game match, simple Knock-Out system to a Round-Robin played over 3 Sunday afternoons. I've known this guy for about four months from the time he joined our choir and got to know that he plays badminton too. By my standards, he is a good player, so I asked whether he would like to partner me for the tournament, which he agreed.

On the first day of the competition, during the first match, we won the first game convincingly but was "extended" during the second game. My partner became 'critical' with his remarks on me when he questioned why I still struck the bird when it was out of court and why I did not smash when it was obvious I should.

I had been keeping quiet and trying to concentrate on the game but l could not take it anymore and told him to let me play my own game. I further hinted to him that if he felt the shuttle is going out he should let me know. Now surely we've seen for ourselves how even at world-class levels, players have been caught misjudging the lines so what if we made the same mistake? As for why I did not smash, my partner should have known better for he smashed twice into the net subsequently and we lost the second game and drew the match overall.

He was obviously not happy with what I told him for we drew the second match against what I considered to be a weaker pair than the previous one. Not only this, he was absent on the second Sunday and he did not have even have the courtesy to inform me earlier. But somehow, there were other absentees, so the organiser rearranged the players for the subsequent matches to enable the competition to continue.

My yonger partner turned up yesterday, the last day of the competition, but did not even apologise to me for being absent last Sunday. Nevertheless, I just pretended that nothing had happened and continued with the competition with him as my partner. Despite playing only four games or 2 matches, I was soaking wet and was satisfied that I had a nice work-out. Do you know what? My partner is a polytechnic lecturer and is supposed to look after student welfare. Yet he behaved in such an 'abrasive' manner. So, this is one of my worse moments in badminton for partnering someone who should have known better. The consoling factor is that we still ended up by receiving a silver trophy for being the 1st runners-up.

16. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    well, you now gained some valuable in-site on players. regardless of what you see on their appearance or they job or whatever, i have always stuck with a saying that one former national player told me: "when a player immerses in competition, their true character shows up, breaking past the facade."

this fellow may have all appearances of being for student welfare, but when push comes to shove, his own welfare will come before any student...

17. Pecheur

Pecheur Regular Member

Things I hate about badminton:

1. It costs me too much money, admittedly it's cheaper than almost all my other hobbies besides computer games hopefully surfing will prove to be quite cheap.

2. I know in the long run it will effect my body. My racquet ankle is already painful in certain positions, racquet shoulder usually slightly sore, all from slightly overextending myself at times. Also have ruptured my achilles playing before and that foot isn't as strong as it used to be.

3. People who for some reason or another can't play at a high level, but don't even do the things that they could do easily (when they have been playing long enough to know better) and basically just ruin the game, ie I move back to smash, execute a good smash which gets lobbed up a little, but my partner hasn't even bothered to WALK the two steps to the net, can't kill it and in the end misses it completely, then calls yours when he realises that he's hopelessly out of position.

4. People that deliberately pick on beginners in a bullying manner. I'm not saying not to smash or whatever, I mean one guy plays exactly the same if you have played for one day or 5 years, and that's fine, but some people deliberately body smash at beginners and that's not cool.

5. Making me consider whether I should spend a beautiful warm day swimming at the beach with cute chicks not wearing much, or indoors in a hall with predominantly smelly guys ;P

18. Stalker

Stalker Regular Member

Not here in my place! No sirree!! ;) :D The ratio here is like 1 badminton court is to 5 tennis courts! :eek: :mad: :D

19. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    hey wizbit, relax and don't take what I said that seriously. :D I share your feelings on a lot of stuff that were mentioned on your posts. Guess my point is just enjoy the part of the games you love and ignore the parts you don't.

sure I wish there are more coverages on tv for badminton and I wish I can play at any club I want too. Life's not fair, and there really isn't much you can do about it. in the end, you just get yourself more frustrated and annoyed than you need to be and where's the fun in that. heck you might even resent the sport you love :eek: .

anyway, vent away i guess, we all gotta do it sometime, didn't mean to offend you or anyone else with what I said. :p

20. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    Well, there isn't much to hate, other then the type of people I sometimes play with. Here:

1. People who tell me they are good, and when they are not, they make excuses.
    2. People whom scold their partners loudly in front of everyone just for a few mistakes.
    3. People who show off to beginners, executing smashes and all, when they know they are just playing with beginners.

That's about it, I guess. I don't mind playing with beginners cuz I think, hey, I was a beginner once too!