Black Knight Feather XL

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by 12egan, Mar 4, 2010.

1. 12egan

12egan Regular Member

Student
    Hello to all you fellow badminton players. I haven't been on this forum now for quite some time but I really needed a few opinions about this racket. It's the lime green and black combo, Black Knight Feather XL. I'll be buying it from a friend who's played with it rarely for about a year. It's got a couple tiny nicks and dents on it. He's asking about $100.00 CAD for it. Pretty cheap since it's about $250.00 here.

I currently play with a Yonex Muscle Power 22, I like this racket but it's quite the low end racket. I think it's time to upgrade. I am an offensive player, but I have enough power that no matter where I am on the court, including out of bounds at the very back, I can hit the shuttlecock out of bounds. I'm looking for a lighter racket for faster movements, quicker aggressive defensive play and less power so I won't hit it out of bounds so much.

I think this racket would be the one for me, but does anyone have any opinions on it? I play singles and I'm use to using lower end Yonex Muscle Power rackets. Any suggestions or advice?

Also: If I end up not purchasing this one, I'll be checking out a brand new Yonex Muscle Power 88 which a friend is asking less then $100.00 for. It's never been used seeing as it's a back up racket. What would you guys think would be better for my playing type?

- Lots of power, I can hit it out of bounds from everywhere on the court
    - I tend to do jump smashes, backhand smashes and forehand smashes
    - I have a half decent drop shot
    - My net play is decent, I struggle with cross court drops
    - I have excellent defensive play vs smashes, but I tend to have the shuttlecock just bounce off my strings and go no where, I need a new racket or have mine restrung
    - I play singles
    - I can play both aggressively and defensively

2. adidascanada

adidascanada Regular Member

$100 for the BK is about right. I just sold one in 9.5/10 for $100 to a fellow board member.

3. Distanc3

Distanc3 Regular Member

stringer for community centers
    I remember using it long time ago, pretty good racket and pretty good price ;)

4. Winn108

Winn108 Regular Member

well I have the bk ghost.. which is the same line as the feather.. and honestly.. I hate it :p I personally find it wayyyy too light and difficult to generate good power with it

if you've used yonex rackets for awhile and you like them.. you probably won't like the bk superlights. if you are seriously considering purchasing this racket, you should try it for several sessions just to make sure you are used to the weight. for example, if you immediately switch from heavy racket to light racket, it feels great (a lot of swing speed.. feels fun to play with) but once you adjust to it.. it feels.. less fun :p

oh.. it's also oval :p

I'd recommend the mp rackets... they're generally awesome :D mp88.. mp99 all good :D

just my two cents.. oh.. and if you're based in Toronto.. I'm trying to get rid of my bk ghost :p

5. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

The Feather is very light and very quick but it doesn't strike me as a singles racket ... especially for a guy who likes to smash.

If you have the opportunity to try it out a bit more then you should hit repeated clears for a few minutes and see if the energy it requires is really ideal for a singles player.

6. 12egan

12egan Regular Member

Student
    Okay thanks a lot guys, I'm going take a look at the MP 88 as well. It's brand new, never been used and my friends selling it for $80.00 now; I might pick it up instead.