which is the most important shot?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by charliebadders, Mar 6, 2010.

1. charliebadders

charliebadders Regular Member

student
    as the question states what do you guys feel is the most important shot to perfect after you have learnt all the basics? in my opinion i feel the tumble drop is very important because if you get it wrong they smash it down immediately but if you get it right the player has to lift it meaning your on the attack.

2. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

For doubles? The serve, and after that the return of serve. Many rallies are decided by these two shots. In particular, even a small improvement in your low serve can cause you to win a lot more rallies.

For singles? It's harder to say. An obvious candidate in men's singles is the spinning net shot, as this sets up attacking opportunities. For women's singles, perhaps the round-the-head forehand clear, and then slice and reverse slice forehand drop shots.

But of course, it really depends on where your weaknesses are. You may have "learned the basics", but how well do you execute them? Until you get to quite a high standard of play, most players have some glaring weaknesses (I know I do ;)). The trick is identifying them.

#2 Gollum, Mar 6, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  3. charliebadders

student
    yeah its for double and thanks for your help. i'm trying to put down a list of new skills/ old skills i should perfect ready for next season as we are getting promoted :) so far on my list i'm planning on perfecting my tumbling, reverse slice and serve/ serve return. anymore you think i should add?

4. charliebadders

student
    any other suggestions people?

5. delmonk

delmonk Regular Member

software engineer
    Is this men or womans double? For mens double, I would say starting from most important

serve
    return of serve
    smash
    smash defense
    net intercept

Aren't most points decided by smash, net kill, and drive in that order?

Tumble drop can set your partner to attack, unless lets say your partner is right handed and has a weak backhand. You tumble drop a drop on the left side and they lift to your partners backhand, resulting in a mid court smash.
    Tumble drop seems to work best in the middle of the court, they can't play a fast cross court net shot that way.

#5 delmonk, Mar 8, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  6. charliebadders

student
    cheers thanks for your help mate :)

7. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    For doubles....definately the first three strokes (serve, return, then response) set up the whole rally. Another important skill, not a stroke, is varying the pace at critical moments (knowing when to throw in a deceptive drop shot after heavy smashing, etc).