New Protech racquets

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by sihker, Mar 8, 2010.

1. sihker

sihker Regular Member

Hi.

Has anybody had any experience with Protech new line of racquets? Viper 2, Saturn, Jupiter or Mars?
    Looking at spec, all racquets are same, except for the colour.

2. jeycjy

jeycjy Regular Member

Some1's employee
    I got Jupiter and Mars . Both not alike in design. Same spec but not same design

3. sihker

sihker Regular Member

How do they feel? Head heavy, even balanced, comfortable, cheap? I'm not interested in design, more of technical aspects.

4. sennannes

sennannes Regular Member

Freelancer
    Just bought the Mercury and Neptune racquets two days ago. The nearest and furthest major planets from the sun. How about that? Haha.

Strung with the brand's Titanium Series .66mm strings at 27lbs tension and black star-patterned grips attached to the mint wrapped stock grip.

Played for two consecutive days on weekend and Sunday. Awesome feel with both racquets as both of them have a unique feel during play.

Neptune feels a bit softer and has a smaller sweet spot but if you are an accurate and precise player, it feels great in hands.

Mercury has a much broader isometric head and it is thicker too, giving a much more stable feel upon receiving the shuttle.

If possible, I would love to collect the Protech's solar system series racquets altogether. Now I'm left with the remainder - Mars, Earth, Jupiter, Saturn, Pluto.

Wonder if Protech will release the other two planets of Venus and Uranus as well. It would be interesting to see. Would be even better if there is a model of Sun, Moon and Star. Haha!

Cheers.

5. barca96

barca96 Regular Member

studen
    i love the colors for the protech racquets.
    but are they on par with apacs, pra ace?
    im looking at a few protech racquets atm.
    they are the solar system series.
    which one if the best for hard hitting, offensive players?

thank you

6. sennannes

sennannes Regular Member

Freelancer
    Oh hello, there you are barca96!
    Just replied your PM. Anyway, yeah the Protech racquets colours are amazingly beautiful!
    I'm about to collect the solar system series (from Mercury till Neptune, I've only Mars, Earth & Pluto left to collect), almost!
    I have viewed the Apacs racquets, but I don't find them suiting my taste in terms of build and paint job.

Hard-hitting and smashers of singles player - recommended Mercury, Jupiter
    Control and doubles player - recommended Neptune, Saturn
    I've not tried Earth and Mars, but I've held them both, Mars is towards head-light balance and Earth a little heavier but not enough to be of hard hitting than both Mercury and Jupiter.

Hope it helps!

7. barca96

barca96 Regular Member

studen
    thanks senna!!!

8. jeycjy

jeycjy Regular Member

Some1's employee
    I got Jupiter and Mars. For me Jupiter really more to hard smashers and got broader frame while mars is good for drives and control. I saw 2 more yesterday such as Earth and Neptune, I really got attracted by the Earth's color but somehow the frame shape is quite strange looking

9. sennannes

sennannes Regular Member

Freelancer
    Hi, jeycjy. I am thinking of getting Mars by end of this month. I suppose it is more of a doubles' racquet due to its' light-headed balance. Am I right? It has a slim-shaped frame and it is of only 83g in weight. As for Earth, I find the stripes on the racquet weird-looking. It would be good if it has some other pattern instead of stripes.

10. sihker

sihker Regular Member

Received my Mars, if I get it stringed, I can share some experiences. Until that, I can only say that its color is metallic greenish, not black as in pictures.

11. barca96

barca96 Regular Member

studen
    congrats!
    if im not mistaken, all their galactic named racquets are glossy colored.

12. sennannes

sennannes Regular Member

Freelancer
    Cool! Metallic-greenish? Eh? That is pretty interesting. Good that you have gone for the Protech series racquets. I'm currently a proud owner of 11 Protech racquets:

Blue Monster & Strike 900 - both strung @ 25lbs (Proace Lethal)
    Mercury & Neptune - both strung @ 27lbs (Protech Absolute Titanium)
    Jupiter & Saturn - both strung @ 28lbs (Protech Absolute Gold)
    Eclipse Orange & Eclipse Blue - same as above
    2x Armortec 700 Limited - one strung @ 28lbs (Yonex BG66) and one unstrung
    Nano 990 Power - strung @ 28lbs (Yonex BG66)

Soon to add with a Protech Mars and it would be enough for me of 12 Protech racquets.

Do let us know how your racquet feels like in-hand, and have a good time playing with it! Cheers.

13. barca96

barca96 Regular Member

studen
    :lol: senna sounds like a proud owner of 11 BMW's

14. sennannes

sennannes Regular Member

Freelancer
    Hahaha!!! Feeling the pride. :p Definitely it feels so good, loving the duo Armortec 700 Limited especially!

Well, I have just played a game last night, mixed doubles though. Took my Mercury for a ride during the first set, somehow I felt something wasn't right with the string bed, kept distracted with adjusting it.

So I went for a change for the second set with my Neptune, felt better and won. Good but yea, I have decided to give my Mercury another try as it is a head-heavy racquet which I thought of drilling some smash shots and more offensive playing.

Sadly, as what I have sensed during the first set, the string bed do have some serious issues as previously they were moving by quite a lot like messy spaghetti! There it went, the top left corner at 10 o'clock spot, my Protech Titanium strings snapped! :'(

But, yeah. I figured out that it could be due to two back-to-back racquet clash with my doubles' partner (due to two huge paint chips at the top of the Mercury's head). Pity, just got that racquet early last month along with the string.

So, have you got yourself your desired Protech racquet, or are you considering other options? :)

15. sihker

sihker Regular Member

Well, played 1h of singles with Mars. As the shuttles were too slow (greetings fly to Tronex, whose speed rating 78 is more like a 76), can't comment that much, felt nice, not a love of life, but nothing bad also.
    Stringed yesterday with Hi-Qua 0.7mm at 12kg. Will test tomorrow also.

16. sennannes

sennannes Regular Member

Freelancer
    Awesome, in 78 for the speed of shuttles. Over here, I suppose 77 is what we have. Nice, 26lbs tension. Hope to hear from you of your in-depth feedback. Cheers!

17. T-maker

T-maker Regular Member

Trouble Maker
    mind showing me the link to the site ?

18. sennannes

sennannes Regular Member

Freelancer
    Hi, if you are talking about Protech racquets site, here it is - http://www.protech-sports.com

Enjoy!

19. sihker

sihker Regular Member

Ok, played today for 1h. The racket has a good feeling, suited for doubles also. The balance does not feel that head heavy.
    The problem with my review is, that I have problems with footwork, tactical thinking and shot consistency, so the racket is least of my problems :D
    I would suggest this racket to people, but then again, one could choose similar rackets from different companies, and the end result would be same :p

Verdict: If you can get it cheap, and need a primary or backup racket, why not.

20. T-maker

T-maker Regular Member

Trouble Maker
    what is the price like ?